Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
Hi Everybody,

I´ve got got (perhaps an easy or dumb) question.
How can I move a file in Panther ?
That means: to cut and then to paste it.
The "cut" option in the pull down menue is grey...

Perhaps someone can help me... :)

Dave out.

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
The easiest way is to just drag and drop it where you want it to go. If you hover over a folder, the folder will open so you can get to subfolders, and then drop it where you want it.

iTron

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
If you hold down the key with the apple on it by the spacebar( sorry not sure what it's called ) and then click on a file and drag it to the new location it will move it as opposed to copying it.

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
thing is, i can't imagine why copy is greyed out. don't want to be too simplistic, but are you sure the file you want to copy is selected/clicked? if it is, you probably ought to reboot and try again.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I know why the "cut" menu is disabled... it's not for files, but rather for text. Example file/folder names.

Cut—Cuts a piece of information (text, graphic, sound, and so on) from a document. The information is removed from the current file and placed in the Clipboard for reuse (Command+X).

Here's a page with some useful info.

Token

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
click on the file you want to move - drag it above the folder you want to leave it in, press the option (apple) button and let go - voila, the file is moved to the new location (thus, deleted from the original location) !

- Token.

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Originally posted by Token
click on the file you want to move - drag it above the folder you want to leave it in, press the option (apple) button and let go - voila, the file is moved to the new location (thus, deleted from the original location) !

- Token.

The apple button is actually known as command.

Originally posted by j33pd0g
Not necessary. That is just how you move things. Just click and drag.

This is true only if not moving the file/foldrer to a different volume, otherwise use the hold down command approach as mentioned above while dragging.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
Thank You all for your replies !
I was just a little confused cause my mom´s got a windows pc and there the "cut" function works also with files, not only with text.
I asked because, when path of the file and the path of the folder, i want to move the file, are completly diffrent, it takes much time to drag and drop the file.
At the moment I drag the file, drop it on the desktop, then i locate the folder in my finder window and drag the file back from the desktop to the new folder. It´s easy and it works. :)

Dave out.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I usually find it fastest to open a separate finder window and set it to the destination folder, then drag it. You can also change the finder window over to "tree" view so you can see the directory structure, and drag it that way.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
The absolute easiest and fastest way is from Terminal, but not a lot of people want to do that :)

2nd easiest is to prepare in advance, 2 finder windows open with one open to the source and one to the destination.

3rd easiest is to use your spring loaded folders:

1) Click and hold the file
2) Drag it over Macintosh harddrive, then hit the space bar. Folder opens
3) Repeat down through the path until you hit the destination.

As long as you use the space bar (instead of waiting for the folder to spring open) it's really no slower than clicking the hierarchy after "cutting" a file, and honestly makes more sense for the metaphor.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The "cut" function in Windows is misleading. When you're working with text, cutting the text makes it disappear - it moves it to the clipboard.

However, when you cut a file, it *copies* it to the clipboard, then deletes the original when you paste it.

Apple had three options:

1. Have the Cut function work the same as in Windows (ie. the cut functions as copy, then deletes the file afterwards). This is inconsistent, so they didn't follow this path.

2. Have Cut actually cut the file. But the if someone cuts a file and forgets to paste it, they'll lose the file. Not a good idea.

3. Disable the Cut function.

Make sense now? :)

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Well... Windows grays it out when you cut it. And if you don't paste it anywhere, then it goes from grey to full color and isn't lost. I don't think that's inconsistent, and I kind of miss it (been a happy swithcer for a year and half, but that doesn't mean Macs are better in every way :eek: ).

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by stcanard
3rd easiest is to use your spring loaded folders:

1) Click and hold the file
2) Drag it over Macintosh harddrive, then hit the space bar. Folder opens
3) Repeat down through the path until you hit the destination.

As long as you use the space bar (instead of waiting for the folder to spring open) it's really no slower than clicking the hierarchy after "cutting" a file, and honestly makes more sense for the metaphor.

There is some inconsistent behaviour in what happens when you drag the file to a folder. As far as I can tell, if the Finder window you drag to is in list view, a new window for that folder will be opened. If the Finder window is in icons view, the folder will be opened in the existing window. When you have a mix of both (thanks to not being able, as far as I know, to select list view as default in any reliable sense) it becomes an unfunny joke.

Coming from a Windows and KDE environment, I find Finder really annoying in general for copying/moving files. It's adequate if you're moving one file, but I miss my directory tree. If you're organising many files under a directory tree several levels deep, Finder's lack of a tree makes it frustrating to work with.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by huntsman
There is some inconsistent behaviour in what happens when you drag the file to a folder. As far as I can tell, if the Finder window you drag to is in list view, a new window for that folder will be opened. If the Finder window is in icons view, the folder will be opened in the existing window. When you have a mix of both (thanks to not being able, as far as I know, to select list view as default in any reliable sense) it becomes an unfunny joke.

Coming from a Windows and KDE environment, I find Finder really annoying in general for copying/moving files. It's adequate if you're moving one file, but I miss my directory tree. If you're organising many files under a directory tree several levels deep, Finder's lack of a tree makes it frustrating to work with.

You can create a variety of default settings for individual windows very easily. when you're in the window you want to set just hit Cmnd+J or View>Show View Options. From here you can choose everything from icon size to file arrangement to even setting a background image or color for different folders. You'll also notice that your options will be different depending on what view the window is set to, so play around with that. Also, an easy way to make a folder open a certain way every time (say, in List view for example) is to just open the window, change the view to List, close the window. Now when you open it in the future it will be how you want it. I don't know why but this is how it saves. You have to make the change and close it before doing anything else. Hope that helps.

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by tjwett
You can create a variety of default settings for individual windows very easily.

That's pretty much stating the obvious. Being able to manually set the view mode of one individual folder is fine if you have only have to do it occasionally, such as if you prefer the icon view as default, or if you only have twenty folders in your home and rarely venture outside. Heck, if I had only twenty folders to deal with I'd give each of them their own pretty background images and colours :p

But I traverse hundreds of different folders, and prefer the list view as default. I'm not going to manually set each and every one of them to list view, and repeat it for each new folder created, every data CD I browse, and so on. So at the moment, I have an irritating hotchpotch of list view and icon view folders.

There is a check box in Finder preferences, "Open new windows in column view", which seems like it would provide the needed functionality, if only it were a drop down box that contained list view as an option. I've been thinking that there must be a "power tip" for this somewhere, since it's pretty much standard functionality in other file managers including Windows Explorer, KDE Konqueror, and Gnome Nautilus. So far I've only found a third-party, commercial app which may or may not work consistently. If someone could embarass me with a solution I couldn't find, I'd be most grateful :D

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Maybe you could write an Applescript to do this?

Just a suggestion, but I'm a complete Applescript novice so I don't know how you would do it or if it's possible! But it's an idea.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
That's pretty much stating the obvious. Being able to manually set the view mode of one individual folder is fine if you have only have to do it occasionally, such as if you prefer the icon view as default, or if you only have twenty folders in your home and rarely venture outside. Heck, if I had only twenty folders to deal with I'd give each of them their own pretty background images and colours :p

This I agree with completely.

The apparent randomness of column / list / tree view is aggravating.

I want an option where I can say "Make everything column view", then later I will customize certain folders if I want.

Right now I have an unholy combination where some finder windows seem to open in icon view no what I do.

Some actions seem to open windows that are supposed to be in column view in icon view.

It's apparently random enough that I only use finder windows when I absolutely have to. I finally understand the Ars Technica complaints about the finder.

Example:

I just tried the spring loaded technique into my Mac HD. Mac HD opened in list view (it should be column by default).

Now from list view, spring loading folders seems to open anything else in new windows in icon view.

I reset the finder window to column view, and now spring loading is opening in column. But I know sometime in the future it is going to go back to list, because it always does.

My best guess is badly configured installer programs (or maybe that piece of junk stuffit) that change the default views on me, but I can't tell.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by Awimoway
Well... Windows grays it out when you cut it. And if you don't paste it anywhere, then it goes from grey to full color and isn't lost. I don't think that's inconsistent, and I kind of miss it (been a happy swithcer for a year and half, but that doesn't mean Macs are better in every way :eek: ).

What happens when you paste it 10 times? Do you get 10 copies of the file? Do you get 1 copy and 9 links? After you cut and paste it, can you undo it? Can I save it on the clipboard between sessions?

These answers aren't obvious, and that's why it becomes an inconsistent use of the metaphor.

Cut and paste refers to the old method of actually cutting your paper document, pasting it back together in a new order. (Usually you then made a photocopy, which if everything was done right, would make the changes invisible).

Files are supposed to be based on the file cabinet metaphor.

You can move files into different folders.

You can take files out of the filing cabinet and trash them.

You can photcopy a file to make a copy of it.

You cannot "cut" a file (although you can shred it...)

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
From another thread:

If you drag what you want to move into the dock, you can then open where you want to put said item in dock and drag it with the command key down into wherever you want.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Originally posted by stcanard
What happens when you paste it 10 times? Do you get 10 copies of the file? Do you get 1 copy and 9 links?

I think you're being a little silly. You get 10 copies of it. That's fairly intuitive, and even for some poor soul for whom it isn't intuitive it only takes one try to find out. The paste function is what you're really talking about here, and it behaves exactly the same for cutting and copying. The only difference is in the first action: cut permanently removes it from its original location, copy does not.

After you cut and paste it, can you undo it?

Yes. Again, it only takes one try to find out.

These answers aren't obvious, and that's why it becomes an inconsistent use of the metaphor.

Cut and paste refers to the old method of actually cutting your paper document, pasting it back together in a new order. (Usually you then made a photocopy, which if everything was done right, would make the changes invisible).

Files are supposed to be based on the file cabinet metaphor.

You can move files into different folders.

You can take files out of the filing cabinet and trash them.

You can photcopy a file to make a copy of it.

You cannot "cut" a file (although you can shred it...)

Well, I'll agree that the terminology could have been better. "Move" might have been better. But I disagree about the need to remain faithful to the metaphor. In the postmodern world of virtual realities, the relationship between likeness and actuality is severed, and the likeness is preferred. The words have their own meaning and use, and any reference to the real world is lost. And being able to "cut" one thing and "paste" it in 10 is vastly more preferable to the real world.

Plus, you don't get any sticky glue on your hands. ;)

sonicforest

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2004
I agree with Awimoway. Cutting and pasting files in windows is actually really nice. And it would be cool if apple would enable the cut for files in future updates.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
That's pretty much stating the obvious. Being able to manually set the view mode of one individual folder is fine if you have only have to do it occasionally, such as if you prefer the icon view as default, or if you only have twenty folders in your home and rarely venture outside.

what about the "All Windows" radio button in the view options for List view? anyway, you could also write a simple AppleScript to do them all at once. oh yeah, if you want a window to open in a certain view everytime just open it, set it to the view, List in your case, and close it. next time you open it it will be in List view. just remember don't do anything but change the view and close it the first time, that's how it saves. don't know why.

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
what about the "All Windows" radio button in the view options for List view? anyway, you could also write a simple AppleScript to do them all at once.

I believe the "All windows" in View Options affects how list view looks in all folders that already have list view selected.

I'm quite new to the platform so I don't know the first thing about AppleScript. Perhaps it could set all my existing folders to list view in one hit, but I suspect it wouldn't apply to newly created folders, and folders on removable media. Anyway, it's something I will look at.

oh yeah, if you want a window to open in a certain view everytime just open it, set it to the view, List in your case, and close it. next time you open it it will be in List view.

DUH!!!

(ok, that was mean, sorry) :p

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
if you want a window to open in a certain view everytime just open it, set it to the view, List in your case, and close it. next time you open it it will be in List view.

98% of the time yes.

2% of the time it opens in some other mode.

There seem to be other actions that change the view (usually to icon view which I do not like), and I cannot find a reliable pattern for those changes.

If finder could reliably keep my windows in list or column view after I saved them that way, I would be happy :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.