Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChocoboNL

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Hi,

So, I'm still new to the whole Mac OS X happening, just got my MacBook about three of weeks ago (very happy with it ^__^). But, there's this little problem. I'm now using Microsoft Office 2008, and I often use Page Breaks. Previously, on the windows computer I used, I could simply press ctrl + return to insert a page break, but this is not a standard shortcut in the Mac version.
My solution - or at least, I hoped it would be a solution - was to use a custom shortcut for Microsoft Word via the System Preferences. I would like to set it to either ctrl + return or cmd + return, but it doesn't work.. However, when I try a shortcut like ctrl + cmd + down - or really anything without the return key - it works just fine. So, here comes the actual question; Is there any way to incorporate the return key within the shortcut?

Ohh, and now another problem comes in mind, I've got this Video_TS dir on my HD from a dvd which I tried to open, but when it's opened it simply 'plays' the menu. So I'm unable to actually select the option from it, and it simply goes to other part - like chapter selection - afterwards.
It also plays little bits of the files, hangs for while, and skips a bit, then repeats the cycle.
Anyone familiar with it? I use VLC Player Open Disk... with the Video_TS folder option.
Ohh, and the files play fine on the windows pc next to me.. :(

I realise this last question maybe should be in another topic, or has already been answered somewhere on the forum. But I did do a search for the first one, and couldn't find any information on it.
I hope you guys can help me with any of them, and thanks in advance. ^__^

Cheers

masemase

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Page Break Shortcut in Word

Try this combination:

Fn + Shift + Return

Enjoy!

Brandon

josinsky72

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Acknowledgement

Thank you Brandom for your contribution, it works very very nice. Awesome :apple:

stevenfeldman

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Welcome back page break

I thought I had tried every possible key combination. Obviously I hadn't!

Thanks very much

jgshurts

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
There are different kinds of breaks going on here...

• shift+fn+return = page break
  • shift+command+return = column break (same effect as page break only if you're not in a section broken into columns)
  • fn+command+enter = Section Break, Next Page (jumps to new page and a new section, allowing you to do things like change headers, footers, page numbers within a particular section

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.