Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielsamuels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hey!

I've had my current MacBook since the Feb '08 update, and I turned it on a few days ago and the bluetooth had disappeared, it wasn't showing up at all. I got it back from the Apple store after having the screen and top casing replaced, and it was working until a few days ago when I turned it on and it was "Not Available".

I googled the problem, and I have tried the following fixes so far:

Take out battery and hold power button.
Leave battery in and hold power button.
Cmd+Opt+P+R on boot, restart twice whilst holding.
/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist Didn't exist even with root user enabled.

Any help would be great!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Go to Apple Menu > about this Mac > more info > bluetooth.

I suspect that there may be nothing showing there....

Sometimes after doing this the Bluetooth module starts to work......

danielsamuels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Go to Apple Menu > about this Mac > more info > bluetooth.

I suspect that there may be nothing showing there....

Sometimes after doing this the Bluetooth module starts to work......

"No information found." :(

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
"No information found." :(

and presumably it does not work when you go back to the bluetooth icon....

I suspect that the bluetooth board has failed since it worked for a while after you got it back from the repair.

Try a restart ?

I have had this a few times but going to the profiler usually gets it working...odd.

danielsamuels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
and presumably it does not work when you go back to the bluetooth icon....

I suspect that the bluetooth board has failed since it worked for a while after you got it back from the repair.

Try a restart ?

I have had this a few times but going to the profiler usually gets it working...odd.

I've restarted many times, tried the system profiler. Still nothing.

I really don't want to take it back to Apple. If it doesn't work eventually, I'll buy whatever laptop comes out on the 14th or a Pro..

fotogravity

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
network settings ppp

I had the same problem. MacPilot's system profiler mentioned something about a bluetooth PPP connection, could have something to do with a GPRS-modem I use. I'm not fluent in networking bla bla, so I reset my network connection, and like a little black magic - I did not know what I really did - after a restart bluetooth reappeared.

batman1966

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
SOL with bluetooth -- help?

I have a MacBook Pro running system 10.5.6, and my bluetooth option recently disappeared after installing a new hard drive. I bought the D-Link DBT-120 and now my bluetooth icon is back in my control panel, but I am not able to turn it on. It is grayed out at the top of the screen. I tried connecting with a Nokia cell phone and it recognized and paired with it, but can't do anything else until I manage to turn on bluetooth on the Mac. I've read that no drivers are needed, and that it is compatible with my system. I've tried all the things (PRAM, remove battery, etc) that made it work before I installed the new drive, but no luck. Can't find any solutions on the net so far. Any help would be appreciated.

seanellis

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
This simple fix worked on Bluetooth issue

I first tried rebooting - didn't work
Then tried resetting my PRAM - didn't work
Tried rebooting again - didn't work

Then just tried holding down the off button for 20 seconds. Bluetooth was working when my Mac came back online.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
I Had this with my MacBook, A Reinstall of Lion did the trick for me. After resetting SMC,PRAM, and rebooting, the reinstall was the only thing that worked, its unlikely it came unplugged.

howbotnik

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
This tends to be a common problem with earlier MacBooks, I have read. It happened to mine, the bluetooth would drop out intermittently.

My problem was to do with the bluetooth cable linking the motherboard and bluetooth logic board - it was getting interference from other cables.

Have a read of this

Eventually I ended up replacing all my bluetooth hardware and it is running perfectly now.

So try all the options available before opening up your macbook. There are some excellent guides out there on ifixit for this problem.

H

bradymc

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Jiggle it?

It seems odd, but this worked for me. I'd tried other methods explained here, but none worked.

I found this article that shows how to replace the bluetooth board: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Pro-17-Inch-Unibody-Bluetooth-Board/3422/1

Using that as a guide (since I've never cracked open the back of my MBP before), I found the bluetooth board and just wiggled and pressed down slightly on the wire that makes the connection to the antennae. When i put it all back together and booted up, I had bluetooth again.

Julay

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
Greater Philadelphia
I had a Bluetooth icon in the finder bar, but when I clicked on it, there was a message saying it wasn't working, and Bluetooth was not seen in the system profiler. Holding the power button for 20 worked for me. I shut down the computer, unplugged it, took out the battery, then held the power button down for 20 seconds. I then reinserted the battery, plugged the laptop back in, and then held the power button again for 20 seconds again. I'm not sure which intervention worked, but one of them did.

knguyeniii

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
holding the power button works!

I held the power button for 30 secs and my bluetooth is working again. this method works with the latest osx release (jun 2012). my macbook is the 13in 2008 model.

interslice

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
NL
Comfirmed also working for me too

I deleted my bluetooth plist files in prefs
I reset PRAM
I reset SMC for 15 seconds
I smashed it with a hammer

nothing!!!

I came here:
I just held the powerbutton from the instruction directly! for 30 seconds
(computer hard shut down)
take out battery - another 30 seconds power button
put in battery - another 10 seconds power button until the Mac screemed at me
(got scared and let go)

BACK to NORMAL! :D thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.