Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arrow201

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Sorry if this is a FAQ ...as we all know, the ear bud jack that comes with
the iphone has 4 bands - left ear, right ear, mic/remote, ground.

A regular ear bud jack has 3, meaning if you plug this type into the
iphone your essentially shorting the mic/remote input to ground.
Is this ok or can this do damage ? ..thanks

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I'm sure it's compatible with all headphones, and the extra bands are there when you need them, but not like you have to have a headphone set that uses all of them. I use standard headphones all the time, even large giant ones.

Once when I received a call with normal headphones, no Mic, I still heard the call through the headphones and the iPhone used its own mic as if it was in speaker phone mode, so it literally was no different than using headphones that have a mic.

The whole point is to be able to use any headphone you want, which is one of the best features of the new iPhone having a built in headphone jack flush to the surface.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Once when I received a call with normal headphones, no Mic, I still heard the call through the headphones and the iPhone used its own mic as if it was in speaker phone mode, so it literally was no different than using headphones that have a mic.

I never knew if this worked or not. I'm going to have to try this.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
If you have a 3G iPhone "any" headset should work; but if you v1 iPhone then you will have to get a jack that is compatible with v1 iPhone. Too many people ended up shaving the headset plug so it would actually fit into the jack...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.