Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

narcotic

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Belgium
MBP right? :p
yeah its a possibility, probably the next upgrade after this one more likley. I don't know if intel have 3ghz+ laptop chips just yet, and if they do they'll only be in the high end model. Maybe 2.6 base 2.8 higher, then on the macbook 2.3 base and 2.5 higher.

2.6 base MBP is too low and too close to a MB, that'll probably be 2,5 mid.

MBP will be 2,8 Low end.. mark my words!

lsslbj

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
Recast: Pictures Are Stolen From Here!!!

PICTURES ARE STOLEN FROM HERE!!!

http://www.machome.com.cn/viewthrea...ilter=0&orderby=dateline&ascdesc=DESC

another URL: http://www.cnbeta.com/articles/66858.htm

the new mb, mbp and mba will be:
1 plastic 13.3' MB(original MB case)
2 aluminum 13.3'MB
3 aluminum15.4'MBP
4 aluminum17.1'MBP
5 aluminum Macbook Air(C case changed)

apple adopts the "brick" tech, which makes the cases thicker, but more resistant. they're more resisitant than previous MBP case, and if they fall, there would be only some scratches not big problem.

see here for mbp and mba photos:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/6393150/

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/6393151/

Attachments

• mb1.jpg
    mb1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 98
  • mb2.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,488
  • mb3.jpg
    mb3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 191
  • mb4.jpg
    mb4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 257

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Did anyone guess what that covered port is for? Could it be the display port?

I don't think thats a port, just a piece of tape.

Everything else is accounted for. mini-dvi is the one between the usb and audio ports. firewire800 and ethernet are on the other side of the usb and magsafe is just off screen.

surrelmar

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
PICTURES ARE STOLEN FROM HERE!!!

the new mb, mbp and mba will be:
1 plastic 13.3' MB(original MB case)
2 aluminum 13.3'MB
3 aluminum15.4'MBP
4 aluminum17.1'MBP
5 aluminum Macbook Air(C case changed)

This seems VERY logical to me. Just one new big line where notebooks aren't different anymore. Everything looks more the same and awesome. The MBA pictures weren't seen on the homepage yet so this completes the whole picture line.

And it looks like the new port could be some sort of HDMI port (for the Blu-Ray drive!)

What makes the price differences then is what's inside and which size it is.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
medium_2162321828_45eb2310d3_o.jpg

Anyone remember this patent?

All the port are now on the left side of the MacBook's according to this article...

Coincidence?

I'd love it to be true!

How about merging this idea with ACD and The new TV Rumor :D

Cool, but not happening probably, though I wouldn't put it past them.

I had the exact same thought while I was reading this, and remembered that patent file picture. It could all just be coincidence, but rumors of them working on some kind of display and the move of all the ports to one side would make it more feasible that patent will see the light of day. Add in the Blu Ray rumors and the new Apple vision for your living room might be a TV with a dock for your MB/MBP and your iPhone/iPod Touch as the remote. Or a cinema display/dock and wireless connectivity to the new Apple HDTV, which would make even more sense.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I don't think thats a port, just a piece of tape.

Everything else is accounted for. mini-dvi is the one between the usb and audio ports. firewire800 and ethernet are on the other side of the usb and magsafe is just off screen.

I think it IS a port, or a slot to store the Apple remote (maybe too small, hard to get a sense of scale as everything looks bigger than it is). EDIT: Although the placing is odd, it looks a lot like Displayport.

Also, mini-DVI is too large (bigger than USB). Micro-DVI is more likely.

I read on wiki that FireWire can use the RJ-45 interface. Is it possible that Apple have created an Ethernet/Firewire 800 port on the standard MacBook, so it is adaptable?

Oh and please, please anodise different colours. Make the MBP anodised black or something, or product red! :D

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
So I plug in my SD card reader

https://www.etechisland.com/images/card_reader_-_sandisk_micromate_2.jpg

And boom

I drop one USB port and my network cable, or potentially the Mini-DVI

Seriously - would it be the end of the world to spread things about a bit SO WE CAN DAMN WELL USE THEM!

Epic usability fail. I have to unplug my current MBP every time I want to use my SD card reader. Give them a bit of room to breath.

How's is the screen hinge? Still paralized unlike any other laptop I know?

How's MBP HDD removal? Still giving 'pro' users the shaft?

And as for the manufacturing technique, and all this talk of water jets, and laser machining..... complete crap - they've just taken it from a bucket with keyboad-on-the-lid, to bucket-with-keyboard-on-the-bottom. Nothing dramatic at all.

pik.

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Bologna/Corfu/Paris
no! the MacBook Pro case pictured is exactly the same as the current (in terms of connections) except its got one less Firewire port and a mini-DVI (supposedly) port. so its definitely the MBP!

what im thinking is Apple will drop the "Pro" name and just have a 13", 15" and 17" MacBook and then different specs for each size along with the MacBook Air. the MacBook Air will then become like the MacBook. this will justify the $800 price point and will narrow the price gap between the current MacBook Pro and MacBook because of the all aluminium design.
15 MBP with no USB on the right ?

i want usb on both the sides of my computer...
so I think this is a macbook...

otherwise we have an issue....:p

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
No you can see a black part where there's a hole in the casing under the tape, it's definitely something.

I see exactly what you see, but I do not interpret the darker area on the tape as evidence of a hole beneath it. They would not put a port so far forward, and everything had been accounted for already. I definitely think it is nothing more than a piece of tape.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I see exactly what you see, but I do not interpret the darker area on the tape as evidence of a hole beneath it. They would not put a port so far forward, and everything had been accounted for already. I definitely think it is nothing more than a piece of tape.

You can see the outline of where the punched hole has been finished and the table through the tape. Whether it is an I/O port or not, there's definitely a hole. Look again.

jbgh

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
How's is the screen hinge? Still paralized unlike any other laptop I know?

you have got to be kidding, its the only laptop with a good screen hinge.

it puts the fans and speaker grilles out of the way and lowers the screen height!

the only reason you would ever want to fold your laptop lid back horizontal would be that you're an idiot, and therefore deserve a pc

Mugs

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Walton-on-Thames, UK
hey guys sorry someone has said this or its totally wrong but I was wondering if maybe the port we think is ethernet on both the MB and MBP is actually a firewire one, thus meaning there is no ethernet and one FW on the MB and two (different types) on the MBP. Then they could include a usb to ethernet adapter like the MBA? I probably wrong but I just thought it was an idea. I wasnt sure if it is definitely a ethernet port. What do you think?

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX

Tape.png

In this image of the inside of the case you see what looks to me to be a different piece of tape in the same spot, as iEdd said, I don't know if it is a port or what kind but I'm pretty sure there's a hole there

some12b

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
All this is very exciting and all, but does anyone know whether the Intel Core i7 will be used? Will the rumoured NVIDIA chipset support the i7?

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Mugs, I was going to suggest that. Unfortunately by looking at the ports, the ethernet logo suggests that the smaller* laptop has no firewire.

*I say smaller because it is possible that these are both MacBooks, neither being the 'Pro'.

DonSqueak

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
hey guys sorry someone has said this or its totally wrong but I was wondering if maybe the port we think is ethernet on both the MB and MBP is actually a firewire one, thus meaning there is no ethernet and one FW on the MB and two (different types) on the MBP. Then they could include a usb to ethernet adapter like the MBA? I probably wrong but I just thought it was an idea. I wasnt sure if it is definitely a ethernet port. What do you think?

The symbols next to the ports say otherwise.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
15 MBP with no USB on the right ?

i want usb on both the sides of my computer...
so I think this is a macbook...

otherwise we have an issue....:p

take a look at all the pics on page 6. the MacBook Pro has the speaker grill and the MacBook doesnt. both have only an optical drive on the RHS.

FabriceH

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008

I meant that a few pages ago, but isn't there an ethernet-symbol at this port?

spectral

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
All this is very exciting and all, but does anyone know whether the Intel Core i7 will be used? Will the rumoured NVIDIA chipset support the i7?

Core i7 for notebooks isn't going to be around until late 2009, if I recall correctly. I doubt Intel is going to release Core i7 in notebooks just for apple several months before they get a working desktop version out.

jkester

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
If we're sure the hole's there, I think it might be a side latch to release part of the bottom i.e. the battery and /or hard drive enclosure or something like that. Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.