Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

///mdriver

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
USA
I set an administrative password for my computer, and now I want to disable it, how do I do this?

///mdriver

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
USA
Ok, basicly, I want to change my master password, so that I don't have one.

The only thing I can do right now is change the master password. Even when I do this, the password for my screensaver stays as the original password.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I don't know if you can delete the password on the first admin account. If you erase the password on other accounts, it lets you leave it blank. I think you would run into problems without a password because everytime you install something, it requires a password. If you want to keep things simple, just do something like "1234".

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
The way you talk about the password on the screensaver, is that the thing thats annoying you? If so, it is easy to take this out so you just go straigth from the screensaver back to normal working mode. Not that I can remember how to do it, as I never have my screensaver password protected, but I'm sure someone on here will reply if thats your worry.

Also, it is better to have a password for the system, even if stupidly simple, like your name. Sometimes a little security is a good thing.

Marc

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I once saw this documentary on tv, where they had stolen computers (Mac & PC's). They fenced it, the fencer opened the computer and made some kind of short circuit and all the passwords and securities where whipped out! So, never been keen on software security passwords!

///mdriver

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
USA
Since I have to have a password, I want to have my screensaver recognize the new password.

///mdriver

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
USA
Ok, I figured it out. I needed to change my individual account password, not just the master password.

Thanks Guys! Everything is under control now.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
If you don't want a password, just create a second account that isn't an admin account, and don't create a password. Then just remember your original login and password for when you need to install software or do any other admin-only activities. Personally I don't find the password inconvienent at all.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
I have an Admin account that doesn't need a password ... the only thing that needs a password is my root user account ... but since i only use that in dire situations, I just have the thing auto log-in ... and when i install something an it asks me for a password i just click okay with a blank password and there are no problems

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by revenuee
I have an Admin account that doesn't need a password ... the only thing that needs a password is my root user account ... but since i only use that in dire situations, I just have the thing auto log-in ... and when i install something an it asks me for a password i just click okay with a blank password and there are no problems

IIRC, that only works if you create the account initially with no password. If you give it one at any point, you are stuck I believe.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by mactastic
IIRC, that only works if you create the account initially with no password. If you give it one at any point, you are stuck I believe.

Yes ... good point ... thats actually exactly what i did. --

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I removed the password from an account on my iBook, just went to change password and made it blank. apply and done.

Installing software in no issue, it pops up with the user/pass box, just hit enter and away you go.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
I initially set up a password for both accounts on the Mac, but then erased them both. Now fast user switching is about 50-50 on if I will get the login password screen, or if I get logged on automatically. Any way to make that 100% auto?

-Dylan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.