Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godog

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
I installed fw 2.1 and the error stopped... a real mistery... I jailbraked and unlocked it with the pwnage 2.1 tool (2g iPhone here)

The only problem I had was to restore last backup, it said that the backup was not compatible or damaged, had to use an older backup, lost some data (1 week of data) but the "accessory" error is not showing now. Hope this never happens again....

Have you guys updated to fw 2.1?

I think the 2.02 unlocking/jailbraking method caused the problem

godog

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Today I restored back to an old backup to recuperate some data and right after the restore the error came back :mad: I will have to restore to a clean 2.1 installation and manually restore the data and configurations :mad:

dynaxfl

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
The error message comes up more often than i expected, however, it didn't bother me that much since I don't lose the sound. Ben's fix may not prevent the error pop-up, but it does fix the sound problem. I'm still very happy with this fix.

Suondmao

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Try this fix:
1) Download ipad_patched
2) Put this file under /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IAP.framework/Support (don't overwrite the original one, backup it)
3) Set the file permission to 755
4) Reboot iPhone

This ipad patched was from 2.0.2 firmware but i've succesfully tested it also on 2.1 firmware without problem. ;)

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
...also in this boat, kayak in my case which is where my phone got wet lol, 1 STUPID WAVE and I got drenched.

Iphone was weird and fritzy at first, let it dry 2 days, now the popup comes all the time and wears down my battery. Phone works almost perfectly otherwise, sometimes the touchscreen doesnt recognize which was never an issue before.

***So what is the best fix?***
There seem to be about 10 on this thread. I can live without 2.0 if absolutely needed but it's not a great option.

dynaxfl

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
Try this fix:
1) Download ipad_patched
2) Put this file under /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/IAP.framework/Support (don't overwrite the original one, backup it)
4) Reboot iPhone

This ipad patched was from 2.0.2 firmware but i've succesfully tested it also on 2.1 firmware without problem. ;)

Wow, this works.... have tested for 15min now, and the pop up never shows up again... awesome.

bobdobbs

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
The most common cause for this that I've seen is water damage to the dock connector.

If nothing else works, than replacing the dock connector will get rid of the issue.

AlexiFortuni

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
Try this fix:
1) Download ipad_patched
4) Reboot iPhone

dude it worked!!!!

thanks alot man!!!

Suondmao

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
:D :D
i'm writing a guide about this patch. if someone is interested i can link it here
(unfortunately it's in italian, but google translator works well :D)

Prospero42

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
After applying the patched ipad file, my car radio refuses to work with my iPhone over the IPod-Control-Interface and reports an error.

What is this patch exactly doing?

Suondmao

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
this patch cuts out the not_made_for_iphone error message and force all devices to be compatible.
it's made to fix the sound freeze error on iphone with damaged docks, don't use it with not damaged iphone, isn't needed! (it also works with some external devices but only under 2.0.2 firmware)
Which firmware are you using?

Prospero42

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
I'm using Firmware 2.1.

I have no damaged dock and normaly I don't get the "This accessory..." error when attaching to the PC.

Only when I attach the iPhone to my car radio (Pionieer DEH-P700BT) which has an iPod control interface I get this error message, but after confirming with "no" everything works well. The car radio plays the iPod audio and charges the iPhone correctly. So in my case this warning is superfluous.

I was hoping that your patch could help me to get rid of this anoying error message.

If you have patched the code, which result ("yes" or "no") from that message box is used in the code that follows?

After applying the patch the car radio always returns error code 19, which means "communication error". Why does this patch only work under 2.0.2 firmware with some external devices?

dynaxfl

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
I'm using Firmware 2.1.

I have no damaged dock and normaly I don't get the "This accessory..." error when attaching to the PC.

Only when I attach the iPhone to my car radio (Pionieer DEH-P700BT) which has an iPod control interface I get this error message, but after confirming with "no" everything works well. The car radio plays the iPod audio and charges the iPhone correctly. So in my case this warning is superfluous.

I was hoping that your patch could help me to get rid of this anoying error message.

If you have patched the code, which result ("yes" or "no") from that message box is used in the code that follows?

After applying the patch the car radio always returns error code 19, which means "communication error". Why does this patch only work under 2.0.2 firmware with some external devices?

you should restore the old iapd file back if you had backup. The issue you are having is totally different than what most people have here. Most likely your car radio is designed for iPod, not iPhone, that's why you are getting that error message.

Prospero42

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
I already restored the original file and afterwards everything works fine, with execption of the anoying error message.
From other people using the same car radio than me, I know that it works 100% with the iPhone without any limitations.

So even if the main root cause is a damaged dock here, my goal is basically the same: Just to get rid of the error message "This accessory...".

Suondmao

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
prospero, as told dynaxfl your problem it's completly different than what most people have here.
This fix doesn't work for your problem because the file iapd 2.0.2 is different than the new used in 2.1 firmware and the device communication has changed between this version.
I've also made a new version of this fix using 2.1 firmware that can only remove your anoying message and preserve external hardware compatibility but this one can't fix sound freeze error!
This is why I posted the old version.

You can simply solve your problem answerring "no" in the pop-up, you don't need to modify iphone firmware..

Prospero42

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Suondmao, were can I get the new version that only removes the anoying message? I would like to give it a try.

dynaxfl

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
Suondmao, were can I get the new version that only removes the anoying message? I would like to give it a try.

Dude, your phone has NO problem, why do you need to mess with it? The issue you are having is just you don't like that particular UI apple designed, there is nothing to deal with the actual software nor hardware problems.

Suondmao

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Dude, your phone has NO problem, why do you need to mess with it? The issue you are having is just you don't like that particular UI apple designed, there is nothing to deal with the actual software nor hardware problems.

Exactly..

I've posted the guide here (lite version) or here (full version).
If someone like Prospero42 want to modify the 2.1 to remove the message can simply do it following these guides.

Prospero42

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Impressionante!

ARM Assembler conosco bene. Ora devo provare se funziona con il mio problema.

Mille Grazie!

Suondmao

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Dal nick mi era venuto il dubbio sul fatto che fossi italiano..:)
comunque il fix funziona bene anche su 2.1, se non riesci a modificarlo fammelo sapere che ti invio la mia copia

Jeremyx360

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
I am having a similar problem. I got my phone from a friend because it got wet and he bought a new one. I upgraded it to 2.1 then jailbroke/unlocked it. Everything was working fine until yesterday.

When I put the phone to sleep (or whatever it's called) the screen just comes back on a few minutes later then back off again. It flashes the non-compatible device messages very quickly. It has been doing this since yesterday. It is draining the battery. The other strange problem is that I cannot turn it off. I hold the power button, slide to power off, and the little circle spins and it goes off for a second just to come right back on again.

Other then that everything works as it should. I'm afraid to restore it to factory settings in fear that I will not be able to jailbreak/unlock it again due to not being able to shut it off.

I haven't been able to try the patch posted earlier yet because I'm at work. My question is, did anyone else have the problem of their phone not shutting down and staying down? The only other thing I could think of would be to replace the dock connector.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Exactly..

I've posted the guide here (lite version) or here (full version).
If someone like Prospero42 want to modify the 2.1 to remove the message can simply do it following these guides.

^your guides are not in english, is there a translator in the house? I'd hate to mess up my phone because google translate didn't give me the correct instructions

Prospero42

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
@Suondmao

Thank you very much for your absolutely brilliant description. Is was able to patch my v2.1 iapd file within an hour and now everything works.

The anoying question "This accessory..." has gone. :)

Sono solo 50% italiano, il mio padre viene di Vicenza, la mia madre e tedesca, e io sono nato nella germania. Sono tanti anni ce non usato piu la lingua italiana.

Ancora mille grazie!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.