Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
It would seem to me, that if the Macbook Pro gets a quad-core CPU, OR the GPU gets upgraded to a 9xxx series nVidia GPU, that the iMac would HAVE to get updated as well?

I mean, when in the history of iMac/Macbook Pro has the low-end Macbook Pro's GPU exceeded that of the 24" iMacs? That would be ASININE for them to leave the iMac with the 8000 series GPU, and give the MBP a 9000 series.

What do you guys think?

chad

cshale210

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

definite possibility but two things... The event is clearly for notebooks if you see their ad, and just because they upgrade their notebooks doesn't mean everything is being upgraded right away. It will obviously come but maybe not tomorrow

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
did they update the iPhone during the iPod event? No. They also added the Nike app to the iPod touch without giving that support to the iPhone. Jury is still out on whether or not the new headphones will support the iPhone for volume controls.

So, I dont see any iMac updates tomorrow

Soxy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
It would seem to me, that if the Macbook Pro gets a quad-core CPU, OR the GPU gets upgraded to a 9xxx series nVidia GPU, that the iMac would HAVE to get updated as well?

I mean, when in the history of iMac/Macbook Pro has the low-end Macbook Pro's GPU exceeded that of the 24" iMacs? That would be ASININE for them to leave the iMac with the 8000 series GPU, and give the MBP a 9000 series.

What do you guys think?

chad

It's sorta up in the air but you do have a good point that has got me thinking, this was discussed a while back on here.

It's true that it would be sort of marketing suicide and go against all of Apple's history if they allowed the MacBook Pro to have better specifications than an iMac (it's a mentality thing, in my eyes Apple -have- to keep the iMac ahead). The only real problems with this analysis are:

1. The event is clearly notebook focused, it'd be surprising if they updated the iMac's in the same day.

2. There are no rumours or evidence whatsoever that tomorrow will herald anything for the iMac, considering since the notebook event was confirmed quite a few facts/confirmations have been found to prove the updating of the MacBook/MacBook Pro, it's quite unlikely there would be no hint at all with regard to the iMac.

3. The current iMac model is still fairly new and has plenty of time left in it's average update cycle.

I think the most likely scenario is that nothing will come for the iMac tomorrow, and just as people start to get up in arms that the MBP overpowers the iMac, the iMac's will get a bump, probably a bit faster CPU/true Montevina and I'm assuming an updated GFX Card. This would also tie in with Apple Insider's Apple Roadmap (that I can't pull right now because Mac Rumors Buyer's Guide isn't working?) that predicts iMac's will get updated at the end of October/first half of November, which also complements the fact that the next normal update cycle for the iMac after that would allow for Nehalem to be available (mid-2009).

I truly hope you're right however, and I'll be first in line to buy a maxed out iMac if they update them, but announcing new iMacs with better specs than the MBP's they're gonna be making such a big deal about tomorrow would totally overshadow their efforts, and for that reason, probably won't happen :p.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
In an interview after the the iPod event the interviewer asked Jobs if he thinks he might have let down Wall Street by just updating iPods. Steve said the invitiation of "Let's Rock" couldnt have been more obvious that it was about iPods.

It's about notebooks, and they arent going to relegate iMacs to the back of the class by announcing at a notebook event.

Macworld.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
The 8800gs in the upper iMac is still better than the 9600 they are likely to put into the MBP. And there won't be a quad core.

Chilz0r

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007

What do you guys think?

chad

9xxx series??? just re-branded 8xxx, not to worry.

chrisdee

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
Intel came out with two quad cores cpu's for laptop over a month ago.
Both ASUS and Lenovo already are selling quad core laptops with the new quad core intel cpu's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.