Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
The bluetooth module in my 17' PB has vanished, it doesn't show up on the System Preferences, the set-up utility reports that there is no BT hardware in the machine, and the menu bar icon reports that BT is not avaliable.

Does anyone have the correct proceedure for installing/removing the BT module in a 17" PB, I want to see if it's just become disconnected.

It worked fine up to yesterday, and I haven't installed any new system software since 10.2.8, so I think it's a hardware problem.

TIA

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Hardware test CD's

Every Mac manufactured in the las few years has come with a Hardware Test CD. This is an open-firmware boot disk with a number of root-level test modules.

If you feel confident of your ability to figure out the simple UI you can boot from this CD as you would any other and run the test module partaining to Bluetooth.

If you find that the UI is too confusing or can't find that module, you should call Apple and have them walk you through it. Call 1-800-SOS-APPLE

Be sure all your peripherals are disconnected first. ;)

I highly reccommend that you buy the AppleCare plan so you can continue to call Apple for free beyond the first 90 Days/ First call.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Thanks mischief, I tried that before posting, what I really need is a guide to opening a 17" PB, so I can check the connection, as the hardware test reports no hardware.

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
Your bluetooth did not disconnect. Its just broken. Don't try opening your machine, just bring it to a service center.

So you already ran the diagnostic test? what did it say?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
OK, here's a strange thing, the Test disc reported no hardware to test, and I was pretty sure that the bluetooth module was either disconnected or toast, then I shut the Book down for the first time in ages, rather than restarting, and there it was again, working fine, why would a hard reset pick up hardware that couldn't be seen by the diagnostics?

Anyway, it's back and operating normally as far as I can tell.

RiseAgainst

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2003
I know this is a stupid answer but...

that actually happened to me and all i had to do to fix it was repair permissions and then restart. Have you tried that?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
your bluetooth is probably not broken. its probably just a system screw up. repair permissions and all that good stuff before jumping to anything. plus you cant disconnect your bluetooth module, its soldered on the the mothboard, if its broken you have to get a new mobo.

iJon

ttrtilley

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2003
There are quite a few reports of this problem on the Web, but they are hard to find since they don't quote the "No Bluetooth Hareware Found" error message produced by "Bluetooth Setup Assistant" or the "This computer does not have an Apple Bluetooth module installed." message produced by "Bluetooth firmware updater".
I suspect the latter may be responsible since I installed it not long ago, and the problem seems to be happening in Jaguar as well as Panther. I am familiar with the need to install firmware upgrades very carefully.
I have tried all the obvious things with no success. Rebooting into 10.2.8, resetting parameter ram etc. My "Apple Hardware Test" CD is unfortunately the Chinese version which I cannot read, but the word "Bluetooth" does not appear while "Firewire" and "USB do.
Computer is an 800MHz Tibook running 10.3.1. That firmware upgrade was 1.0.2

brandontxh

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2004
Houston,Tx
:mad: I have the same type of problems with bluetooth.I bought a Sony T610 and always have disconnect problems though my signal shows strong.Tmobile tech has to send you to a level 3 support cause I'm a mac user,meaning if level 2 can get you there,first time I was transfer to S.Africa and I live in Houston,next time Australia,I've talked to them like more than 8 times.I get disconnect message ranging from other side is not responding, to bto warning.I've download new software for bto like so many times.Apple is no help and Sony Ericsson is no help.I can log into internet so I don't even care about the constant disconnect because I've done it all,talked to everyone.Changed bluetooth usb brand,change mobil phone.My conclusion is bluetooth is unstable at least on a mac,but I've talked to pc and they say the same.What we are paying for is an unreliable connection with no end for a conclusion at this time.I haven't been able to find a mac user using bluetooth with success in Houston and tmobil was tryng to find me any of their customes but never got a call back.I would love if there is a mac user to tell me his success story.I have an imac G3 maxed ram,10.2.8

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by brandontxh
I would love if there is a mac user to tell me his success story.I have an imac G3 maxed ram,10.2.8

Ok, here's mine:

I use Bluetooth on my iBook and iMac (iBook mostly) with a D-Link DBT-120 USB adapter (the one sold at the Apple Store) and my setup works perfectly. I only use my Palm Tungsten with it, but the devices pair correctly and the Palm can sync with the Macs just fine.

I know someone with a T610, and I'll try it with their phone and tell you if it works.

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by brandontxh
:mad: I have the same type of problems with bluetooth.I bought a Sony T610 and always have disconnect problems though my signal shows strong.Tmobile tech has to send you to a level 3 support cause I'm a mac user,meaning if level 2 can get you there,first time I was transfer to S.Africa and I live in Houston,next time Australia,I've talked to them like more than 8 times.I get disconnect message ranging from other side is not responding, to bto warning.I've download new software for bto like so many times.Apple is no help and Sony Ericsson is no help.I can log into internet so I don't even care about the constant disconnect because I've done it all,talked to everyone.Changed bluetooth usb brand,change mobil phone.My conclusion is bluetooth is unstable at least on a mac,but I've talked to pc and they say the same.What we are paying for is an unreliable connection with no end for a conclusion at this time.I haven't been able to find a mac user using bluetooth with success in Houston and tmobil was tryng to find me any of their customes but never got a call back.I would love if there is a mac user to tell me his success story.I have an imac G3 maxed ram,10.2.8

OK. I´ve seen both the BT hardware missing problem, AND this disconnect problem. I have a brand new 15" AlBook, and after five days I awoke it from sleep, and found a new symbol instead of the usual BlueTooth symbol. As I try to use the BT mouse to inspect the symbol I find it isn´t working. As I use the trackpad I find out it´s actually telling me that BT hardware is not available. I fiddle around a bit to see if there´s a place to turn it on, before I resolve to the Win9X way of fixing things; Turn off, turn on. Tadaaa!

When it comes to the disconnects, I see it all the time. The dialup exits with the "No response" error. This is after I´ve been on from 10 seconds to to.three minutes. I even have to pair my P800 and AlBook ALL the time, as it otherwise will report "Modem not responding"... This is REALLY annoying. My old IBM ThinkPad never gave me this kind of problems!

As if this wasn´t enough grievance with the computer, the fan really sounds like it´s touching something in there. (Or it might be that it´s a little wobbly.) It makes the whole machine vibrate a little when it runs.

On top of this, my spanking new BT wireless mouse AND 20GB iPod I got for christmas has started acting up as well! :eek: What is this? Is Apple conspiring to drive me nuts? The mouse won´t switch off as it´s supposed to do when I shut the sensor, and the iPods display keeps turning back to low contrast + it makes a whistling sound when using backlight.

Give me strength!

-KJ

brandontxh

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2004
Houston,Tx
Thanks for the reply,but what I meant was using bluetooth to use the internet.It is a service that cost $20 extra to use the phone's modem.You would get the message "the other side is not responding you have been disconnected.Syncing and pairing I have no problems with too.

Brandon

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Yes, I use it to connect to the internet via my BT enabled P800 and GPRS. That´s when I get the disconnects and need to repair the units each time the PB has been in sleep mode... :(

-KJ

brandontxh

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2004
Houston,Tx
Hey Jevel,sounds like we have the same problem.I've gotten the tech to refresh my setting on their side(tmobil) so many times now but still get the disconnect.But,I get not only the "other side is not responding" to "check your ppp setting" to "no service found" all in 5 minutes of several connect.Again,is there any mac user that uses bluetooth to connect to the internet via their mobil phone that can stay on consistantly?I doubt it.While writing this post,I've been disconnected 12 times and I've been on since 6 am so I don't think that the airwave is congested with users.:eek:

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
My T610 works perfectly, and the BT hardware missing problem is solved by a hard reset.

I keep losing the BT icon from the menubar on a restart, it comes back after unchecking and rechecking the box on the control panel.

BT works very well now, I havn't experienced any operational problems with the T610 at all.

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
I talked to Applecare about my problems, and the only thing they could help me with was the BT. If I wanted fans that doesent grind the way mine does now, I have to get it repaired(!) What is this? The computer is brand new!

Anyhow: To fix the BT problem you should do a reset of the PM circuit. Read more here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

I haven´t tried this, as my BT has been a good boy lately.

-KJ

brandontxh

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2004
Houston,Tx
Well,I got a new t610 and they did a new reset so it seems to be working ok,except the first time I had to restart because pages wouldn't load,so I figure I had to put the Belkin bluetooth in first.I have another brand,so I'll see if it does the same.I've been on almost 30 min and haven't disconnect,so far so good.I'm crossing my fingers.No more Bt warnings either.Hope the nomes don't play with my settings when I'm asleep,because someone must be changing settings.
Jevel,I heard something about the fan noise before,here in Houston we send our macs out at a mac service center(we have 5),they can usually get things done right thru apple without all the hassles if you sent it to the Apple store,which is not known for good customer service I'm afraid to say.Though some of the sales people try hard but what they should do is give the sales people a desktop and a laptop and make them actually use it in the real world with real downloads and real hardware additions and so their advice is more valid.
Maybe they'll see how it feels when you just got your stuff less than a month and told they have to bring it in for repair.

Brandon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.