Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

142347-mbp_400.jpg

At their Notebook Media event today, Apple announced new 15" MacBook PRos with improved graphics performance, and glass Multi-Touch trackpads.

Article Link

EggYolk

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2005
Pros /= Consumers

This part of the Q&A really struck a chord with me. To summarize from the keynote:

“Will the new MacBook cannibalize MacBook Pro Sales?”
-”No. Pros buy MacBook Pros.”

“Are you going to offer a matte screen?”
-”No. We’ll offset reflection with more brightness - consumers love it.”

OK, so consumers will love their glossy screen on their MacBook. Good for them. But what about the pros who buy the MacBook Pros as answered in the first question? We are not consumers - we are pros! Don’t give pros the things consumers like in your pro products. That’s why you have two product lines in the first place Apple. Terrible.

isethx

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
no 17inch redesign yet they update the HD in it. well that takes away my hope.

Dan Lorth

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
This part of the Q&A really struck a chord with me. To summarize from the keynote:

“Will the new MacBook cannibalize MacBook Pro Sales?”
-”No. Pros buy MacBook Pros.”

“Are you going to offer a matte screen?”
-”No. We’ll offset reflection with more brightness - consumers love it.”

OK, so consumers will love their glossy screen on their MacBook. Good for them. But what about the pros who buy the MacBook Pros as answered in the first question? We are not consumers - we are pros! Don’t give pros the things consumers like in your pro products. That’s why you have two product lines in the first place Apple. Terrible.

What I liked even more than that was when he said that you could just turn the notebook to not reflect off of the glass over the screen. BRILLIANT! Just offer a matte option, seriously.

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
I hope we get these new Multitouch gestures on the older MacBook Air and on the early 2008 MacBook Pros.

skythefly13

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Love the new MBPs....They look great.
I feel like it would take some time to get used to the no-button trackpad, but who cares.
Only question is....What's next!? Tablet and.....who knows

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Like I said in another thread, this is just a big bloody pile of bs.

Perhaps Steve's illness has handicapped his creativity and logic.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
London
These new macs and displays are bloody ugly, the old aluminium looks much better.
The 'pro' machines now look exactly like the imac, which i'm not to keen on anyway. I really liked the old square functional look to the apple pro stuff and the glossy screeen with the extra bezel around it is to all intents and purposes rubbish for working with Colour.

zyro70

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
The day has come and I must say, thank god.
Im curious to see benchmarks of these new integrated graphics and if they have any chance of keeping up with usual dedicated graphics. They claim 5x the performance, but where they started.... The integrated intel graphics were pretty bad.

miguellovesjesu

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
USA
i just ordered mine, if you call and order you get FREE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING....but you know how that works. oh well...i got mine ordered!!!!!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
So, what's new is glossy, but the old is still there....

I wonder what's going to happen to the current Displays? Apple could have made the current models loo like the new ones, but stayed with the old ones... are they going to be EOL soon?

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
I'm certainly getting one of these. I like the look, and the specs are sweet.

Am I the only one having trouble accessing the UK Apple Store? I keep getting "Error Serving Request" errors.

shiryu

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Love the new look and new design... but no FW400 and no matte option... i guess i will be holding on to my mbp for awhile.

choiboyogg

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
wow, glossy only?
do they want to intentionally kill the sales on the MBP?

i guess they do, look at those prices...

oh wait, it has new gestures... LOL

who is doing all the marketing here? microsoft?

im so glad i have the latest in MBP productions....

LOL

cornercuttin

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2008
Moore, Oklahoma
i cant believe it!

i have been waiting patiently for a while for this update, as i want a new 17" MBP.

the fact that the 17" was not updated (but with some small upgrades so they could say they at least did something) makes me furious. why the hell did they upgrade the 15" without the 17"?

this is crap. how much longer am i going to need to wait for the 17"? maybe i should just go get a 17" hackintosh for about half the price.

and glossy screens? have the apple engineers never been in a room with an open window while they have had their laptop open?

grr...

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Canada Price Increase AND Student Price Increase for MBP

So new macbook pro's, which aren't really that amazing in my opinion are now more expensive over-all and a lot more expensive for students (atleast in Canada).

The Macbook Pro's are now 2150 from 2100 in Canada, and the Student discount goes from 200 dollars off to 100 dollars off!! Which means Yesterday a MATTE macbook pro would cost me 1900+tax, now it costs me 2050+tax and I have to deal with a bloody glossy screen. 150 dollar price increase! and no matte option, which for me and a lot of people is a big deal.

In otherwords, these shinanigans cost Steve one sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.