Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
London
can anyone tell me how to see how fast my internet connection is?

also is there any way of monitoring how much i have downloaded from the web?

thanks for any help.

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
Yeah i also use speedtest.net.

As for monitoring your downloads, the only way i can think of is your internet bill, maybe you can check your usage on your isp's website.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
I have upgraded (3rd party) firmware on my Linksys router and it has a feature that shows the amount of data downloaded each day.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have upgraded (3rd party) firmware on my Linksys router and it has a feature that shows the amount of data downloaded each day.
That helps with the OP's 2nd question. It doesn't show the speed, though. I'm not aware of any modem that displays current speed of a connection.

iknowgungfu

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
on a related note....

Hi all,

I am new to Mac OSX and have bought myself a MBP 08. I connect to internet via WiFi at home through my Netgear 802.11g router. It connects fine and I can surf fine but is there something in built to Mac OS that lets me see the quality of the connection?

Also, whenever I login it asks me to confirm the security password for my Wifi signal. I have set it to remember the password but it always pops up asking me to confirm it. Is there a way to stop it doing this and just apply the password automatically?

Thanks in advance for helping a noob :)

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
It connects fine and I can surf fine but is there something in built to MAC OS that lets me see the quality of the connection?

Yes. The AirPort icon on the top menu bar shows your signal strength on your wireless network. If the whole AirPort icon is black (all of the bars are black), then you have a strong connection. If, say, 3 or less bars are black on the AirPort icon, then your connection is weakening. This all depends on how far away you are from your router.

Also, if you hold down the alt/option key while clicking on the AirPort icon, it will tell you some statistics about your network, including the transmit rate and channel.

iknowgungfu

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Cheers for that info. I noticed that the icon was black but presumptious old me thought that if it was showing signal strength it would be in green :rolleyes:

One of many things I need to get used to now that I have made the switch.

iknowgungfu

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
:

Here's another one just for the record

Mac is short for Macintosh

MAC is short for Media Access Control ( MAC Address )

just thought id let you know as it seems to be a pet hate on here

LMAO! Really? Will have to be careful of that one then. I suppose in some cases it could cause confusion from a troubleshooting perspective. In PC world this little quirk isn't a problem is it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.