Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APBorisov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I'm looking for live video editing software that will allow me to "real-time" edit video as it goes out to the web (i.e. give me the ability to switch between either live feeds, clips, or images on the fly).

I've heard that the new version of FCP will do it, but I can't seem to find any literature to back it up. I've also read about Live Channel Pro but it seems to be dated and it's hard as well to find a good write-up on it that wasn't written 5+ years ago.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

ChemiosMurphy

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Warminster, PA
Are you talking real live feeds here? DV streams? what kind of cameras are you going to be using and through what interface.

A blackmagic intensity card allows for live cutting, but I think you need two of them.

You could try mx-4 from videonics. I've used it in the past and it is a total piece of crap that just shoots out an analog signal.

FCP can do "multicam edits" of stuff that has been already captured and what not, but nothing truly live.

My company uses a $17,000 Sony Anycast when we do 4 camera multicam shoots. We just shoot out the composite feed into a DVCAM deck, although it allows for REALvideo streams.

What are you going to be doing though?

APBorisov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Are you talking real live feeds here? DV streams? what kind of cameras are you going to be using and through what interface.

A blackmagic intensity card allows for live cutting, but I think you need two of them.

You could try mx-4 from videonics. I've used it in the past and it is a total piece of crap that just shoots out an analog signal.

FCP can do "multicam edits" of stuff that has been already captured and what not, but nothing truly live.

My company uses a $17,000 Sony Anycast when we do 4 camera multicam shoots. We just shoot out the composite feed into a DVCAM deck, although it allows for REALvideo streams.

What are you going to be doing though?

I'm indeed wanting to do a true live feed, we're using a DV camera (Sony DSR-300A) and the interface preferably was going to be a Mac Pro or iMac as the facilitator (hoping that additional equipment wouldn't be needed).

The feeds are going to be sent through our Quicktime Streaming Server.

For some reason I thought this technology wouldn't be so difficult. Have you heard of Live Channel Pro? It seems that it might do the trick, but no evidence as of yet...

ChemiosMurphy

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Warminster, PA
I'm indeed wanting to do a true live feed, we're using a DV camera (Sony DSR-300A) and the interface preferably was going to be a Mac Pro or iMac as the facilitator (hoping that additional equipment wouldn't be needed).

The feeds are going to be sent through our Quicktime Streaming Server.

For some reason I thought this technology wouldn't be so difficult. Have you heard of Live Channel Pro? It seems that it might do the trick, but no evidence as of yet...

Looks like LCP is old PPC Legacy software. I would say no go.

Just get cheap camcorder that does Analog to DV passthrough and get an analog mixer and just shoot the data to the camcorder if you want to do it on the cheap.

software solutions usually suck anyways. I'm looking to say it's almost impossible without having a million dollar budget, even for bandwidth to display the thing. The company I work for mixed this live-to-tape. We just capture the line feed, transcode it to H.264 Qvga and upload it to our Xserve.

Here's my Q to you, does it HAVE to be live? Are you going to be producing this in a studio where you have access to an Ethernet port?

Just cut everything in FCP and then post to the web.

APBorisov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Looks like LCP is old PPC Legacy software. I would say no go.

Just get cheap camcorder that does Analog to DV passthrough and get an analog mixer and just shoot the data to the camcorder if you want to do it on the cheap.

software solutions usually suck anyways. I'm looking to say it's almost impossible without having a million dollar budget, even for bandwidth to display the thing. The company I work for mixed this live-to-tape. We just capture the line feed, transcode it to H.264 Qvga and upload it to our Xserve.

Here's my Q to you, does it HAVE to be live? Are you going to be producing this in a studio where you have access to an Ethernet port?

Just cut everything in FCP and then post to the web.

That's the debate we're having right now. My thought was to do just that -- make it not live and edit, et cetera, and seed via podcasts. But the other people I work with envision having the feed live so people can send e-mails to the person being broadcasted so they could answer select questions.

And yes, we'll have access to an ethernet port so we can login to the Quicktime Streaming Server.

I guess after reading your posts, which have been most helpful, our only way to go might be with the Sony Anycast that you recommended.

adrianiz

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
live video

I want the best system/software to compile 5+ live HD cameras and author the feed "live". I need to be able to edit on the fly... and master a DVD/Blu-ray on site. Any help.. suggestions.. would be welcome.. I also invite "masters" to join in the project. This is a new venture and I could realy use some Pro help. I specifically am interested in the software/system that can do this. Cameras can always be bought.

contact adrianizsonic@yahoo.com
949 28 1415

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.