Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sydsamcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I think its hilarious how a few pictures of an Apple Store can cause such heated discussion. It seems as though the "backlit" debate is like a cancer taking over other threads :p

blantonreed

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
You are correct. If you look at one of the pictures posted by the OP, you can see that the F5 AND F6 keys do NOT have the brightness for the backlit keyboard = no backlit keyboard...

The F5 and F6 keys on a 2.4 GHz Macbook have those function keys, you can check the unboxing photo's on Engadget.

do they specify if it is the 2.4 or 2.0 model of the macbook?

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Yeah the real down point is the Australia Dollar. While the US prices for the laptops are all the same, all of ours have gone up! The cheapest MBP here is $3199 *ouch*, it used to be $2699...

I still want one though, and since I can claim it on tax I wil probably still get one, but it hurts that they cost so much compared to the old ones...:(

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You believe so because it's true. Everyone else won't listen to people who say it's NOT backlit, and yet believe the first Apple Sales Rep who's confused and says it's backlit.

Actually, the main point of confusion is Apple's own online store, which says that it is backlit. The BTO page says it is backlit, and apparently everyone who has ordered a $1,299 MacBook from the store has a confirmation receipt which says they are getting a backlit keyboard. The BTO page still says this more than 12 hours after the announcement -- so if this is a mistake, Apple is being very slow about fixing it.

tofudc5

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
i have come to a realization that there is no way Apple is able to please everyone, fine...but expecting consumers to pay considerably more for a product with i think minor changes or at least changes that only brings it up to par with other laptops is just stupid marketing. But you will get those people who think they are rich and better than everyone else just because they have a mac buying these new macbooks and think they are king ding-a-ling.

it's like Honda saying, hey, we have the new Jazz, it's got new a new engine, better brakes, better safety but it's now $5000 more compared to the previous model when it totally doesn't warrant it. That ticks me off!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Actually, the main point of confusion is Apple's own online store, which says that it is backlit. The BTO page says it is backlit, and apparently everyone who has ordered a $1,299 MacBook from the store has a confirmation receipt which says they are getting a backlit keyboard.

Yes, all a mistake on the store section of their website. That's from a single error, or a single person's error. However, it is stated clearly on the Specs on their specs page HERE. It was also said by Steve Jobs that one of the things that differentiates the $1299 and $1599 MBs was the backlit keyboard.

2.0GHz MacBook

* Built-in full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement)

2.4GHz MacBook

* Built-in full-size illuminated keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement)

What was said on the store's webpage was just a bad generalisation made by the person who wrote it. The specs page is very explicit in stating which laptops get the backlit keyboard, and which did not.

SuperMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I would have got one... But the fact that I'm Aussie and the stock market crash, with the Aussie dollar only buying ~65 US cents... Well, the new MacBooks are more EXPENSIVE than the old ones... :(

Will wait till the next refresh, where hopefully the stock market's regained... And we can buy ~90 US cents again...

SuperMacMan

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Screen reflections: Old model - New model

Could somebody please do a side-to-side comparison between the plastic and the alu model regarding screen reflections?

I get the impression that the new glossy glass screen is much more reflective than the old glossy plastic one. If this turns out to be true I will go for the plastic model....:(

sydsamcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I would have got one... But the fact that I'm Aussie and the stock market crash, with the Aussie dollar only buying ~65 US cents... Well, the new MacBooks are more EXPENSIVE than the old ones... :(

Will wait till the next refresh, where hopefully the stock market's regained... And we can buy ~90 US cents again...

SuperMacMan

Not wanting to get into a whole economics war but the recent downturn in the Australian dollar was mostly due to the Australian Bank reluctance to follow European central banks. They have extended their deposit insurance to astronomical new highs never seen before. This resulted in a fair bit of $$ leaving the Australia for "safer" locales.

Fortunately on October 13th the Australian Bank came around and now there is a rush to get the money back in while the dollar is low, explaining the huge jump vs. most currencies earlier this week.

**Many more factors but that's the nuts and bolts of it :p

friede

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
back

i dont like that you see that black piece on the backside when it is closed...

But can i resist? bought one yesterday online, delivery date is early nov :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 226

Sanchez27

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Avoid Apple Store Glasgow!!

I went in early this morning to the Apple Store in Glasgow to buy the new MacBook. Opens at 9am and i was there at 9.50am. Walked up to one of the employees:

Me - "Hi, I would like to buy the new MacBook please."

Rep - "Um, have you booked a personal shopping session?"

Me - "No I just thought I would buy one seeing as I'm like the only guy here."

Rep - "Well we aren't selling them to just anyone, unless you have an appointment I can't sell you one."

Me - "Hang on, so you have them in stock?"

Rep - "Yeah, about 40 units."

Me - "So why can't I buy one, I've got cash on me now?"

Rep - "Cos we can't sell them to anyone like I said, I can book you an appointment for early next week"

Me - "Nah mate, just forget it. If you don't want my money I'll just go and buy a PC"

I've waited since June for a MacBook and to be treated like a piece of dirt by those guys is unforgivable. Thank you Apple for the iPhone but I won't be buying any more products from you if your gonna treat people like this!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
I went in early this morning to the Apple Store in Glasgow to buy the new MacBook. Opens at 9am and i was there at 9.50am. Walked up to one of the employees:

Me - "Hi, I would like to buy the new MacBook please."

Rep - "Um, have you booked a personal shopping session?"

Me - "No I just thought I would buy one seeing as I'm like the only guy here."

Rep - "Well we aren't selling them to just anyone, unless you have an appointment I can't sell you one."

Me - "Hang on, so you have them in stock?"

Rep - "Yeah, about 40 units."

Me - "So why can't I buy one, I've got cash on me now?"

Rep - "Cos we can't sell them to anyone like I said, I can book you an appointment for early next week"

Me - "Nah mate, just forget it. If you don't want my money I'll just go and buy a PC"

I've waited since June for a MacBook and to be treated like a piece of dirt by those guys is unforgivable. Thank you Apple for the iPhone but I won't be buying any more products from you if your gonna treat people like this!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I know what you mean, they act like they're doing you a favour by letting you buy a macbook and taking YOUR money. eh!

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
No I didn't believe just one Rep, I believed Reps 2 & 3 and their Supervisors. And if they were all wrong then Apple has some compensating to do, it's like Aston Martin saying there price did drop to the civic price but then took it back. I know, poke holes in that analogy.

Why would they have to compensate ANYONE? No one here is paying for something that they arent going to receive, that is how the 2.0 comes. As long as they let everyone return it no questions asked, thats it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yes, all a mistake on the store section of their website. That's from a single error, or a single person's error. However, it is stated clearly on the Specs on their specs page HERE. It was also said by Steve Jobs that one of the things that differentiates the $1299 and $1599 MBs was the backlit keyboard.

I know Apple Store said two different things -- in fact I posted a screen shot of that portion of the store yesterday afternoon, along with the BTO page that said it would come with a backlit keyboard. One or the other was a mistake, but we could not say for sure which one until Apple cleared it up. I suspect Apple made a last-minute change to these specifications, but the word did not filter down to the keepers of the online Apple Store until today. Even when customers started to ask, it took an amazingly long time to fix. Could Apple really be that bureaucratic?

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Well, I'm heading into the Sydney store tomorrow afternoon...and that will tell the tale for me...its either buy the new model or go refurbished. The deal breaker is, once I have confirmation I can daisy chain the Duet through an external HD, whether I can live w/ this new glassy-glossy screen. So far based on video & photos I'm thinking NO I won't be able to stand it due to reflections of light...it reminds me of looking into the old tube TVs. I'm sure your eyes adjust (like those magic eyes prints) but w/ that black bezel you'll always have a mirror image of yourself & the room...if there's any light at all behind you. That said, I'm not going to overreact on the issue until I see it for myself.

Closed it looks like a beautiful work of art....open its meh ok...its going to come down to functionality for me. I'm not thrilled about the keyboard but will get used to it I'm sure....not happy abo losing the 400 port but like I said that might be workable w/ one 800. Its not the speedbump I ws really hoping for but the graphics bump would put my mind at ease from the 8600 fiasco....the trackpad seems very interesting.

I'm not going to buy one tomorrow because the new Aussie price made me have a kitten...even w/ the conversion to CDN its not worth it. I'll most likely purchase one back home instead...and would do it BTO to beef up the HD to 7200. If Apple had a few BTOs in the store (typical configs) I'd buy it right then & there even w/ the lousy price here. My trip is definitely about seeing this thing in person & then going from there. If I hate I'll buy the best Penryn available online & live with it (until Apple finally gives in & offers the matte option once again - I give it 8 months) ;)

If anyone wants me to check anything out specifically for them while I'm there just let me know & I'll do my best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.