Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jwayne25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Hi I just got an Ipod Touch 2nd Generation 8gb.

Everything seems fine, I synced it to itunes 8.0, and got some free aps, also synced my music

When i went to play my music using the built in speakers, there was no sound. After some playing around i got sound to come out when i was experimenting with the alarm sounds. Are the speakers only meant for this? The apple website states it should be used for music as well

If anyone can help I would much appreciated it, thank you.

OnTheiTouch2G

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
:confused:

Well, let's start by making sure the sound is up. Use the external volume control up. Or try going settings, general, sound and sliding that up.

Beware that if you do not have external volume controls on the top left side of the iPod you do not have a 2g

Jwayne25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
No Offense but I am pretty tech savy. I tried everything besides the hard reset through iTunes.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
If it is meant to play songs (which it is) it shouldn't, its just horrible, you can't hear it good unless you have it up loud enough that the darn speakers distorts sounds. I use my speakers for the alarms and thats about it.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I'm tempted to ask if you are sure you have the 2g iPod. Anyway, the first gen iPod does have alarms, through the use of a pico speaker (only does tones). If you aren't getting any sound through the speaker (with nothing plugged into the headphone jack) I would say you have a defective unit and to bring it in to your local Apple store.

Jwayne25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I'm tempted to ask if you are sure you have the 2g iPod. Anyway, the first gen iPod does have alarms, through the use of a pico speaker (only does tones). If you aren't getting any sound through the speaker (with nothing plugged into the headphone jack) I would say you have a defective unit and to bring it in to your local Apple store.

It has the newer packaging and the volume control on the side so i'm pretty sure this is a 2G

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 2g has the same pico speaker as the 1g, so that's probably why alarms still works.

Jwayne25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Here's an awkward update.

This is still with my current weird touch.

When i play music, press pause, let the touch go to hibernate on its own.

When i slide to unlock, i hear the usual click that happens when you unlock. Then i press play on my music and i get .3-.5 seconds of sound and it stops.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Yeah that needs to be exchanged I have both the 1st gen and the 2nd gen. You can hear the unlock sounds and such on the 1st gen. The 2nd gen is the only one that can play music on the built in speaker.

If you have the Volume control on the side of the iPod it is the 2nd Gen.

Again I would take it to Apple and swap it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.