Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benjsh

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
ipod high profile but better

Hi
Can I take the iPod High profile and tune it a little so it is even better and then it still works on the iphone and then I get the best quality for the tv also?

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
If you want the best quality, plan for the future as well.

Rip using Mac The Ripper to get every bit available from the original source for your archives, and then rip from these using handbrake for AppleTV and iPod. Standards will improve, and you want the best resolution possible to support future standards. Best of all, you can then recycle your DVDs and reduce the clutter.

why rip twice? is handbrake's rip direct from the DVD not as good?
I want good quailty for doing all our DVD's

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
why rip twice? is handbrake's rip direct from the DVD not as good?
I want good quailty for doing all our DVD's

Handbrake gives you a compressed video file, while something like Mac the Ripper gives you an exact duplicate of the DVD (the VIDEO_TS folder). After using Mac the Ripper you no longer need to use the DVD again, and you can use Handbrake on the resulting VIDEO_TS folder to compress it to any of the formats you like (iPod compatible, etc.). Also, you can even play the VIDEO_TS folder using DVD Player, since it's an exact duplicate.

It's a bit of a pain to get the latest Mac the Ripper, so I've been using DVDFab HD Decrypter on Vista through Bootcamp to get basically the same results.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Where is this friggin' "64 Bit" checkbox everyone keeps talking about? :confused:

For HB 0.9.2 on the mac its right in the main window above the tabs, its only enabled when you have the format set to mp4. For 0.9.1 there is a preference you have to turn on in preferences so that it becomes active in the main window.

The reason for this is because back when 0.9.1 was out, almost no device besides a computer could play a 64 bit mp4 file. Now most can. ... or at least the atv can :)

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
For HB 0.9.2 on the mac its right in the main window above the tabs, its only enabled when you have the format set to mp4. For 0.9.1 there is a preference you have to turn on in preferences so that it becomes active in the main window.

The reason for this is because back when 0.9.1 was out, almost no device besides a computer could play a 64 bit mp4 file. Now most can. ... or at least the atv can :)

I don't see any checkbox at all. Under preferences it's there and it says it breaks compatibly for iPod's and Streaming to the Apple TV...is that still true?

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I remember seeing a response asking about the PS3. I've tried using various setting and although they work fine on my iMac and iPod, I can't seem to get them to play/stream to my PS3. The PS3 see's the file but won't play it. I get a wrong/incompatible file format. Has anyone had success with a certain setting in handbrake for the PS3? Thanks!

~e

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I don't see any checkbox at all. Under preferences it's there and it says it breaks compatibly for iPod's and Streaming to the Apple TV...is that still true?

No, its not true for the atv (v. 2.xxx). Look under preferences and see if there is a checkbox there to enable it in the main interface.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I remember seeing a response asking about the PS3. I've tried using various setting and although they work fine on my iMac and iPod, I can't seem to get them to play/stream to my PS3. The PS3 see's the file but won't play it. I get a wrong/incompatible file format. Has anyone had success with a certain setting in handbrake for the PS3? Thanks!

~e

My settings on Post 21 work on my PS3 if 64Bit is NOT used. I am not sure about the 5.1 as my PS3 is not currently hooked up to a 5.1 system, but there is sound.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
So, what are y'all using for your framerates? I selected "Same As Source". That seemed logical at the time, but I'm afraid I may have misunderstood what this means. The movie I ripped was a little choppy when left-to-right motion appeared on-screen, and sometimes during scene changes.

Thanks.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
So, what are y'all using for your framerates? I selected "Same As Source". That seemed logical at the time, but I'm afraid I may have misunderstood what this means. The movie I ripped was a little choppy when left-to-right motion appeared on-screen, and sometimes during scene changes.

Thanks.

If the framerate is 29.97 it is a TV show (video) vs. a Movie at around 24. If this is the case, you need to use VFR and deinterlace (I think, I am not at home right now) and your problem should be fixed.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
If the framerate is 29.97 it is a TV show (video) vs. a Movie at around 24. If this is the case, you need to use VFR and deinterlace (I think, I am not at home right now) and your problem should be fixed.

Well, depending which HB version you are using, you are seeing macroblocking which has always been an issue with x264 to one degree or another. However, I would suggest getting our dev snapshot and see how that works for you http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6059 .

It uses a newer version of x264 which employs Dark_Shikari's VAQ (Variable Adaptive Quantization). In short the macroblocking which is mostly evident in dark scenes is all but eliminated. Its really awesome imho to the point where I am encoding my stuff at a lower bitrate for the same quality I used back with HB 0.9.2.

Having said that, if you encode at a low enough bitrate and try to stretch it across a big enough screen you will inevitably see macroblocking, its unavoidable in extreme circumstances as is mentioned correctly above.

The analogy would be to take a nice 4 x 6 photo and go get it blown up to poster size. Pixelation or macroblocking is inevitable.

However, try that dev snapshot, you should see a marked difference. :)

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I just downloaded it, but haven't ripped anything yet. If I understand it correctly, I can use my old preset (developed from this thread), right? What you're describing that makes things better isn't a new feature/setting?

Thanks.

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
UK
Hi... I am in the process of ripping DVD's via Handbrake after running through Mac the Ripper.

The process is working and the Films and TV SHows are coming over really well in about 98% of times.

Handbrake is telling me that there is a new version. Is it worth getting it? I am worried about fixing something that ain't broke.

How will I benefit. More speed would be useful..

Regards

MrCatMan

uva25

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
I just did a movie and when I click on the movie in finder, it opens Quicktime and the movie is in B&W. I used the Apple TV preset and when I previewed the picture there was color. I haven't tried it yet on the Apple tv but would there be a reason for the B&W when playing in Quicktime? Thanks.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
I keep trying to convert episode 1 season 1 of Sex and the City for my girlfriend, but it fails in the same spot and HandBrake crashes. LOL! HandBrake SUUCKS! :cool:

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I keep trying to convert episode 1 season 1 of Sex and the City for my girlfriend, but it fails in the same spot and HandBrake crashes. LOL! HandBrake SUUCKS! :cool:

My GF has that giant box set - using snapshot 3 - not even ripping the disc or anything, handbrake had zero issues encoding season 1, episode 1. Just used the default AppleTV setting, only changing it to 2 pass with Turbo on the 1st pass.

HandBrake RUULES! :cool:

My guess is either your disc has an issue (scratch, dirty, etc) or something else just as simple.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand

That's constructive, any one would think you were a child.

Why not bend your mind to solving issues rather than whinging about them on various media?

You can start off by sending me the crash report and the activity log, both of which may be found within ~/Library to eddyg@myreflection.org

Cheers, Ed.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
I just did a movie and when I click on the movie in finder, it opens Quicktime and the movie is in B&W. I used the Apple TV preset and when I previewed the picture there was color. I haven't tried it yet on the Apple tv but would there be a reason for the B&W when playing in Quicktime? Thanks.

Did you select "Grayscale Encoding" in HB, that's pretty much the only reason.

Cheers, Ed.

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
Just to confirm, I've followed the instructions on the thread, and am ending up with brilliant looking files, only they are around 1018 by 554 pixels in size...

These obviously play fine on the computer, but they still will be okay for the iPod correct? Bitrate is 2500kbp btw..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.