Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSandman2236

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey Everyone-

It's sort of come to my attention there's a few of us who are having *experiences* with a loose cover/latch. I wouldn't call this an *issue* at all, (yet) or it could be a problem with us being too picky. Either way, I'd like to know. Thanks!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
The cover was fine at first, but after i took it off for the first time, when i put it back on it didn't go as tight, and started moving around creating gaps in the front and back. Also, when i go to sit it down it clicks (the cover is hitting either the battery or the frame -- i don't think it can quite reach the HD because it's not as close to the cover, but it might).

Like i said in a different post, this might be nit-picking but it might not. I would hate to see a damaged HD or a cracked bottom cover from that.

I'm switching out tomorrow (upgrading in fact, to the mid range MB) so I will report back about the new one. This time, i'm just gonna sit down in a place with Wi-Fi close by the Best Buy, just in case :) but i think 3rd time is a charm.

Clayne

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Mine is a bit loose, and if I look at it eye level (eye-level with "Macbook" except I'm looking below toward the latch), I see a gap toward the middle of the battery cover.

This is lame, but I really don't want to replace it :/ I feel out of everything that could go wrong, this is pretty petty. I'm hoping that, at least.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
so does apple actually test anything or just say "welp this looks pretty cool, make ten million of them and get them out of here"

Chef On The Go

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
I have MacBook pro with the same issue

I have the same problem.. I have the top of line with the 128 SSD and the upgraded 2.8GHz...

I don't think apple should charge over $3,000 for a computer and can't make a simple cover to fit right on a computer.. Come on it's like buying a BMW and the door dosnt close tight .. I think apple spend to much time working on their iPods and iphone's and forget that they are a computer business.. I feel that their level of details are going down, but the prices are going up.. Tomorrow I'm going to the genius bar and they better fix it or reorder me a new one

Clayne

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
It sucks if you have this problem, are 1+ hours from an apple store, and need the computer for school.

and have been waiting 10+ months just for these damn macbooks to be released!

I don't think i'm gunna get mine replaced.

Chef On The Go

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
It sucks if you have this problem, are 1+ hours from an apple store, and need the computer for school.

and have been waiting 10+ months just for these damn macbooks to be released!

I don't think i'm gunna get mine replaced.

Well I'm taking my MacBook pro back I paid $3330 for mine with a student discount.. I think I should have a perfect computer what you think

Clayne

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Well I'm taking my MacBook pro back I paid $3330 for mine with a student discount.. I think I should have a perfect computer what you think

Good! I think you should! I think I should too, but I really don't want to take it back. If anything else comes up, though, I will.

Chef On The Go

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
Good! I think you should! I think I should too, but I really don't want to take it back. If anything else comes up, though, I will.

so since my MacBook pro is a BTO they will not have mine in stock because mine has the faster 2.8GHz and the 128 Solid State Dtive .. So when I go to the genius bar what will happen will they return it and they will credit my credit card .. Then I will have to reorder the same thing again ??? I would hate to have to wait again ... This sucks !!! why apple !!!! Can't you this make a solid computer

Chef On The Go

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
I'm very angry I spent $$$$ this like every one else.. I this don't have time and really don't want to go throw sending back waiting and reordering ... I'm very unhappy

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Well yes I can if theirs a problem with the computer

Actually, no you can't. They will send it in for repair, but the following is a quote from Apple's sales and Refunds policy:
"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival."

I don't think a slightly less-than-perfect battery cover qualifies as "Dead on Arrival"

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Apple appears to have poor quality control over the past few years.

Their philosophy seems to be to produce as many as possible for as cheap as possible because <5% of customers with a minor defect (such as a gap in the battery cover) will actually return the product.

Chef On The Go

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
Actually, no you can't. They will send it in for repair, but the following is a quote from Apple's sales and Refunds policy:
"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival."

I don't think a slightly less-than-perfect battery cover qualifies as "Dead on Arrival"

That bull ?!?!! I will contact american experss tomorrow if they will not replace it and fill a Charge Back.. It's not right and I'm not getting a 1 day old computer repair... American Express is good with things like this ... I will send it back to apple and get my money back F Apple I will never buy another item from them if they even think about trying to repair the computer

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I hope we arent being pickey. I wonder if that's just apart of having that kind of latch.
we're not just being picky and im glad you made a thread on this, i noticed it the first day i got my macbook. thats really irritating that apple just doesnt care. i have the slanted function keys AND the loose battery cover and im trying my best not to let these defects piss me off too much because apparently everyone else has them too.

Attachments

• photolatch.jpg
    photolatch.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 3,108

subq

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
thx for the picture so those of us still waiting on ours to arrive will know what it looks like

bensim

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2004
Denver, CO
As I've said in a different thread, I had the problem of the poor fitting battery cover. I noticed it right away, and I immediately returned the computer. It was swapped quickly for a new one.

I've searched the Apple discussions without luck about this, and considering how short this thread is, I don't think this is a major issue. If you have the problem and can bring it back, do it.

My second MacBook is perfect. However, I haven't taken the cover off myself and replaced it... just a bit worried! However, the first one came with the problem out of the box... I didn't open the cover until after I noticed the problem.

prngaeil

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
hello everybody. I was thinking that maybe there's one party of macbooks with this defect. If it's true, maybe we could identify this party by checking the book's serial number?

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
and so the saga of poorly designed Apple laptops and dwindling quality control continues.
For the life of me, I cannot believe some people were claiming - even before these came out, taking clues from the keynote - that these would be "even better quality than the MBPs" (as if they were/are robustly build).
I guess I could just NOT post this, but to be honest, that battery "cap" problem is something they should have taken care of in the DESIGN phase.

I guess, though, that Apple cares more about selling glossy shiny things to people buying stuff on a whim (yes, research have shown that shiny glossy (and bright coloured) things sells better to impulse buyers).

subq

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
and so the saga of poorly designed Apple laptops and dwindling quality control continues.
For the life of me, I cannot believe were claiming - even before these came out, taking clues from the keynote - that these would be "even better quality than the MBPs" (as if they were/are robustly build).
I guess I could just NOT post this, but to be honest, that battery "cap" problem is something they should have taken care of in the DESIGN phase.

I guess, though, that Apple cares more about selling glossy shiny things to people buying stuff on a whim (yes, research have shown that shiny glossy (and bright coloured) things sells better to impulse buyers).

I think part of the problem is apple's growth. Fanboys are always talking about how great quality apple products are...I am here to tell you that is not the case (perhaps historically it was). All this stuff is coming from china from my understanding and the quality control is lacking.

The "design" may be great, the plans may be great, but the products used and the quality control are now severely lacking. The disturbing part is that apple charges a premium for their products and they have a very high profit margin in comparison to others. If they aren't going to lower the end user cost, they should at least increase their quality (hence their cost) to give their users a better product. Just my .02

I hate to say it but apple really is a terrible company (despite the "good" things about their products, that is).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.