Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
Hi everyone.

I tried jailbreaking my iPhone 3G (2.1 firmware) using PwnageTool on my iMac, using this tutorial: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/550964/

Everything was going well until I got to the point where I had to shift-click on the Restore button on iTunes and choose the ipsw. file it had created. I located the file, clicked on it, it started extracting and when it got to the end, I got the following message.

"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600)"

I tried to Google it but the results I got were not very clear so I decided to ask you guys for some help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Yani

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
You may have a corrupt .ipsw. Try rebuilding a new one, and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help, try QuickPwn.

XClint

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Unknown error 1600 - me too!

Not matter how many times or different macs I use to make a custom ISPW and restore the custom way (opt+click on restore in iTunes using the Pwnage iPhone1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Custom_Restore.ipsw on the desktop) my original First generation iPhone has the same error - 1600. Should I upgrade letting iTunes 8 restore it fully & then use Pwnage to hack at it? HELP us please!

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
Use quickpwn for mac. Pwnage tool failed me about 50 times and finally I went to quickpwn and it worked on the first try. The results are the same. and a Jailbroken phone is WAY better then one thats not.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
You may have a corrupt .ipsw. Try rebuilding a new one, and see if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help, try QuickPwn.

Thank you all for the replies.

I tried building the .ipsw file like 5 times but I got the same result every time.

I think I know where I might be going wrong. The stage where you choose the .ispw file to start off with:
step-2.png

I used "iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Custom_Restore.ipsw" but I'm not sure if this is the correct one? Btw, its a 3G iPhone with a 2.1 firmware. Can you please guide me to what the correct .ipsw file to use is and possibly a link to download it.

Another thing is, pwnage tool didn't ask me for the bootloader file at any stage during the process? Is that normal?

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
From your snapshot, why are you using the version 2.0 firmware meant for the original iPhone to build your Custom_Restore ?
Why not use the iPhone 3G's 2.1 firmware ?

-> iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

And here's a very good guide including download link to the right firmware:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1558

Pay attention to the guide, you must select the "Expert Mode". The iPhone 3G can't (at this time) be software unlocked, so there's no bootloader involved.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
From your snapshot, why are you using the version 2.0 firmware meant for the original iPhone to build your Custom_Restore ?
Why not use the iPhone 3G's 2.1 firmware ?

-> iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

And here's a very good guide including download link to the right firmware:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1558

Pay attention to the guide, you must select the "Expert Mode". The iPhone 3G can't (at this time) be software unlocked, so there's no bootloader involved.

Thanks for the reply.

I went on the 'iClarified' tutorial. I followed every single step exactly.

I downloaded Pwnage 2.1 and the correct .ipsw file (iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw) and put them in a folder on my desktop.

Everything was going well but once again, when I shift-clicked on Restore and selected the custom .ipsw, I got exactly the same message as before:

Screenshot = http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3rj1.png (couldn't get it to show on the page)

Please help :(

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
There are bad copies of pwnage out there. I heard you can try downloading from a different mirror.

I downloaded it from the link given in the iClarified tutorial. Could that be a bad copy?

prodigy883

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
I had this problem before. You have to make sure your phone is in recovery mode. Once it is in recovery mode you will have no choice but to restore and from here you will be allowed to restore from a custom ipsw.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
I had this problem before. You have to make sure your phone is in recovery mode. Once it is in recovery mode you will have no choice but to restore and from here you will be allowed to restore from a custom ipsw.

So how do I make 100% sure that it's in recovery mode?

edit: I used this tutorial to make sure I'm doing it right: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=367

Mostly everything works exactly just like it's shown in the tutorial - I get the message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode and that it needs to be restored. However there is one thing that is different. In the tutorial it says that my iPhone will look like this:

1352.png

But mine didn't look like this. Mine just didn't have anything on the screen whatsoever.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
Download the firmware .ipsw online, check iClarified, and put your iPhone into DFU mode, than hold down option (when on a mac) and click restore, and locate the .ipsw file to restore it.

prodigy883

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
In recovery mode your phone screen should be all black. It shouldn't look like the picture. To put in recovery mode have you iphone plugged into your computer with usb. Then hold both power and home for ten seconds. After ten seconds release the power button and continue to hold the home for ten more seconds. If you get a 1600 error do a regular restore and then try it again.

You are right it was my mistake it is DFU but even with me mistaking the word recovery for dfu this way works.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
In recovery mode your phone screen should be all black. It shouldn't look like the picture. To put in recovery mode have you iphone plugged into your computer with usb. Then hold both power and home for ten seconds. After ten seconds release the power button and continue to hold the home for ten more seconds. If you get a 1600 error do a regular restore and then try it again.

No, recovery mode has the picture of the chord with an iTunes logo. DFU mode is black with no icon(s).

itsmedeka

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Had the same 1600 issue like some of you, after endless searching on google I found nothing..

Then I thought "Instead of using the custom .ipsw or the .ipsw on iclarified why don't I use the .ipsw file in itunes"

DING DING DING !

go into harddrive/users/"yourusername"/library/itunes/device support and create your custom .ipsw for pwnage with the .ipsw located in this folder.

Voila !

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
Had the same 1600 issue like some of you, after endless searching on google I found nothing..

Then I thought "Instead of using the custom .ipsw or the .ipsw on iclarified why don't I use the .ipsw file in itunes"

DING DING DING !

go into harddrive/users/"yourusername"/library/itunes/device support and create your custom .ipsw for pwnage with the .ipsw located in this folder.

Voila !

Right, I located the file but how do I change it to create it my custom using pwnage? Or do I just delete the existing one and replace it with the custom one that I created? And what do I name it? Give a bit more detail if possible please.

Thanks a lot.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Right, I located the file but how do I change it to create it my custom using pwnage? Or do I just delete the existing one and replace it with the custom one that I created? And what do I name it? Give a bit more detail if possible please.

Thanks a lot.

No, you don't change anything. When PwnageTool asks for the file, all you do is navigate to it.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
Good news :D

I just did it using my vista laptop. I took me like 5 minutes to do. I should have tried that earlier but I always thought mac would be easier.

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
OK, bad news again. I just realized that after jailbreaking my iPhone, now it doesn't have any network coverage so I can't make any calls or send texts. I only got 1 bar on the network coverage thing at the top of the screen.

PLEASE help :(

Thanks.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
OK, bad news again. I just realized that after jailbreaking my iPhone, now it doesn't have any network coverage so I can't make any calls or send texts. I only got 1 bar on the network coverage thing at the top of the screen.

PLEASE help :(

Thanks.

If you mean you jailbroke your phone with PwnageTool, than make sure you didn't add any custom logos when booting, etc. This is a major glitch with Pwnage Tool, as it makes it unable to receive service. I know this from reading online, and also from experience. Happened to my brother's phone when I tried adding a custom boot-up image.

prodigy883

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
Make sure when you make your image that activate phone is NOT clicked. That is big if you use att.

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
If you mean you jailbroke your phone with PwnageTool, than make sure you didn't add any custom logos when booting, etc. This is a major glitch with Pwnage Tool, as it makes it unable to receive service. I know this from reading online, and also from experience. Happened to my brother's phone when I tried adding a custom boot-up image.

I did not add any custom logos whatsoever. I just kept it the way it is. I says No Service on the top of the screen.

Any other suggestions? :(

yani2k8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
UK
Hey guys.

Just letting you know that the problem has been solved. I restored it back to normal using iTunes and then I used QuickPwn (Mac) which was fast and effective. I now got a jailbroken iPhone 3G with network coverage.

Happy days :D

Thanks for the help everybody!

redeyedtreefrog

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Thank you for posting this!!

DING DING DING !

Voila !

Gotta thank you, itsmedeka, for this--I had this exact problem today and was just thinking I was going to have to start everything all over again, but saw this and tried it tonight and your solution worked like a charm! Thank you for posting it! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.