Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeuxIt

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Looking to buy 1st mac in a long long time. An aluminum MacBook. What are the advantages to buying at the Apple corporate stores vs online or big box stores?

I am hoping to take advantage of the 12 month 0% offerings at Amazon or Best Buy, but won't if there are compelling reasons to buy at the Apple Store.

-Will I get the same treatment for warranty/defective exchanges?

-Are the free classes still available if you didn't buy at the apple store?

-Genius bar assistance?

-Migration of files from PC to Mac assistance?

-Any other things I'm not thinking of?

Draddy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Looking to buy 1st mac in a long long time. An aluminum MacBook. What are the advantages to buying at the Apple corporate stores vs online or big box stores?

I am hoping to take advantage of the 12 month 0% offerings at Amazon or Best Buy, but won't if there are compelling reasons to buy at the Apple Store.

-Will I get the same treatment for warranty/defective exchanges?

-Are the free classes still available if you didn't buy at the apple store?

-Genius bar assistance?

-Migration of files from PC to Mac assistance?

-Any other things I'm not thinking of?

it's exactly the same.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
Well, I bought mine at the Apple Store for the service. My personal experiences with Best Buy and Amazon frestruates me sometime especially Best Buy. Best Buy's service doesn't seem right and you don't really feel like you're being treated the right way. If you have any questions about anything, they usually don't know much about them, since they wouldn't be working there if they were a tech genius. Amazon, sometimes they don't ship things at all or they ship it late.
When I want to buy Apple Products, I usually go directly to the retail stores, because I can get my questions answered. Employees in the store have been trained to know about their products, so they can answer any question. You also feel apart of the store, because they give you a warm welcome while other stores just let you walk in.
If you dont buy from the Apple Store, you can still enjoy those benefits except for the migration, because they do that when you actually purchase it. Other than that, you can still enjoy the workshops, genius bar, personal shopping stuff and everthing else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.