Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SILENTMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Thank you to all the new Aluminum MB and MBP owners for posting their impressions:

I am looking for some very specific information and testing...

I'm considering getting my first MAC and I like the new laptops but want to get some solid numbers regarding heat, power, and noise before making the move. I really don't like noisy computers so I undervolt my current pc and laptops to reduce power consumption and enjoy the resulting slower fan speeds.

With a Kill-a-watt or power meter please post power consumption with the battery removed and screen on max brightness:
Idle / CPU (both cores) loaded / GPU Loaded / CPU and GPU Loaded

As well please post core temps along with fan speeds for all these states. I'm also looking for impressions of fan noise and heat on the bodies of the laptops.

In Windows I use cpuburn, atitool and speedfan to gather the info. I don't know the equivalent programs for MAC.

Hopefully coolbook will add support for the new nvidia chipsets as my experience with undervolting Core2Duo laptops is a savings of about 10watts on the loaded end which is a lot less heat for the fan to move.

If anyone has the old macbooks or pro and could post numbers it would be interesting to compare.

Thanks.

SILENTMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
anandtech claims power consumption should be lower

Just found this article on Anandtech that claims that the power consumption should be lower in the new Glassbooks due to the new chipset and DDR3 -

"Apple did a lot to reduce power consumption on the MacBook Pro: the GeForce 9400M chipset will use less power than Intel's G35M which was used on the previous notebook, DDR3 runs at a lower voltage than DDR2 (1.5V vs. 1.8V) and thus we see a drop in power there as well."

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3431

I'd put the power numbers up myself if I had access to the laptops so if anyone can do some testing it will be greatly appreciated.

SILENTMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
MAC programs for loading CPU measuring fan and heat

Bump

Can anyone post the programs they like to use to load the CPU and GPU in MAC along with software for monitoring temps and fan speed.

noway

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
ill post detailed numbers later but for now, what i can say is that this MacBook is the best one so far! (battery, design, & power, at least)

5.5h wifi on, bluetooth off, half brightness
7.5h wifi off, bluetooth off, half brightness

i have the 2.4ghz Alu MB 4Gb RAM. compare to my 1yr old MBP, this is a HUGE improvement! i used to squeeze 3h wifi on, bluetooth off, half brightness and about 4h wifi off, bluetooth off, half brightness on my MBP.

smaller screen but better performance and cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.