Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the conference call yesterday, Steve Jobs revealed that the 200 millionth application would be downloaded from the App Store sometime today.

Apple previously revealed that the App Store had delivered over 100 million applications on September 9th. The most recent numbers suggest there has been an acceleration of downloads since that time.

Jobs gave no hints as to the revenue currently being generated by App Store sales, though back in August detailed that Apple had been selling an average of $1 million a day in applications during the first month.

Article Link: App Store Reaches 200 Million Downloads

tmisker

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
The Netherlands
I'd be interested to know if this counts downloading updates for apps.
I don't think so. 200 million apps divided by roughly 10 million users is 20 downloads per person. A lot of apps have had an update, so that makes 10 apps + 10 updates. 10 apps is very few. I even think 20 apps is few (I have 100).

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I don't think so. 200 million apps divided by roughly 10 million users is 20 downloads per person. A lot of apps have had an update, so that makes 10 apps + 10 updates. 10 apps is very few. I even think 20 apps is few (I have 100).

I'd say the average user doesn't have 100 apps. Maybe that's just a shot in the dark, though.

tmisker

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
The Netherlands
I'd say the average user doesn't have 100 apps. Maybe that's just a shot in the dark, though.
But do you think the average user has 10 apps? Also counting apps that are downloaded and deleted immediately. (That changes the numbers a bit, because deleted apps won't update... but still)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
So that's $1 million a day x number of days the app store has been open x Apple's 30% cut. I'd imagine they've got to be quite pleased with themselves right about now.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
(200 million Apps / 14 million total iPhones sold) = 14.2857 Apps per phone.
Hmmm. I wonder if it's that 0.2857th of an App that is causing my phone to crash. (scratches head)

But wait. How many iPod Touches have been sold ?

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
But do you think the average user has 10 apps? Also counting apps that are downloaded and deleted immediately. (That changes the numbers a bit, because deleted apps won't update... but still)

I know quite a few people with iPhones that aren't big on the app store or filling their phone with applications. I know more than a few people that have 5 or less apps on their phones. The average user probably has maybe 5 apps on their phone. The remainder of the 200 million is made up by those extreme users that have 80 or more apps on their phones.

AppleMojo

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
I know quite a few people with iPhones that aren't big on the app store or filling their phone with applications. I know more than a few people that have 5 or less apps on their phones. The average user probably has maybe 5 apps on their phone. The remainder of the 200 million is made up by those extreme users that have 80 or more apps on their phones.

Very similar here, my colleagues who use the iPhone probably average at 4 or 5 apps. Although I do know an app-junkie, who always seems to have every application or at least had it at one point.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Although I do know an app-junkie, who always seems to have every application or at least had it at one point.

Haha is it me? All my screens are full, and I've deleted hundreds of apps. I think I have the best set of apps out there. I think I'm the main person driving the 200 millionth download. I've turned into quite an app collector. What is great is that many of my apps I've got for free, because I watch arn's appshopper.com to see all the updates and price drops!

As a side note...which do you guys prefer for a tv guide app? "What's On?" or iTV? I can't decide which one I like more...

Some of my recent favorite apps are Doodler, iTranslate, iBall3d, Nature SDS, Lux Touch, fring, Maze Finger, FS5 Air Hockey, Blockbreaker Deluxe 2, Weightbot, Photoboard, Flick Bowling, FLEX, Clinometer, Brushes, Firemail, Jelly Car, and Color Expert.

iGoon

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
New York City
God, this bodes well for anyone developing an app. I do agree however that charges for simple updates (fixes, enhancements, etc.) is a bit excessive. If you're actually getting more content that's something different but to nickel and dime people for minor upgrades isn't cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.