Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ied0135

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Waco, Texas
My iMac is no longer reading my external hard drive, but when I plug it into my roommate's pc, it works fine. (on the pc, it does not appear on the desktop, but appears in 'my computer.' on the mac, it does not appear on the desktop as it used to do, now it just appears in Disk Utility).

I need the contents of the hard drive because I don't have them anywhere else! So erasing is not an option. Is there anyway to save the files? Or do I have to dump all the files on a PC, and restore the hard drive?

Thanks for any help!

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
If you can, dump the files on the PC, just in case the drive fails.

Then, plug it onto the Mac and run Disk Utility and Repair the drive.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Just a thought...before reformatting or repairing the drive, check the following screenshots:

Attachments

• Finder Desktop prefs.png
    Finder Desktop prefs.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 462
  • Finder Sidebar prefs.png
    Finder Sidebar prefs.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 368

ied0135

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Waco, Texas
Thank you both of you, guess I will just dump the 50GB on to my roommates PC. Ugh...

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok his PC won't recognize the drive because I guess its in a Mac format.... How can I change this so the PC will recognize it without losing my work? Man I need this for school really bad right now!

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
You said at the beginning that when you plugged it into your room-mates PC it appeared in "My Computer" ?

Is this no longer the case ?

klooney

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
Is it because the drive is NTFS? there is a freeware program you can download that will allow your mac to read and write to NTFS. I don't remember what it is called but google and you shall receive

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
if it shows up on PC, right click it and select "Properties"

If it is NTFS, the mac will should read it, but won't write unless you have third party app installed. There is one I know of on the versiontracker website called "Ntfs for mac" but it costs money for a license.

if it is Mac formatted, the Pc would not recognize it (unless he has installed some third party program). If this is the case, and the mac fails to see it, you could have a dead drive.

If you connect to firewire, and it stops working, you can probably reset the firewire, i'm not sure if this procedure would work with USB, but you can give it a shot and see if the mac picks it up.

-Turn off the mac, unplug everything. Keyboard, mouse, power cord, and if there is a battery, remove it.

-keep it off for about 10-15 minutes, then re-install battery/power, plug in keyboards, mice etc.. Leave the external drive disconnected at the moment.

-Power the mac on, log in, and then plug in the external HDD. If it worked, it should mount to your system shortly.

otherwise I would think the external HDD failed. This assumes there is no response to both mac or Pc when connected. If it works on only the Pc, I would assume there is something wrong with OS X. If this is the case, I would run disk utility (HDD/applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app) and check permissions on the mac HDD, then run "Verify Disk" to see if there are any errors.

Beyond that, I don't know how to fix the problem, if there is one. I would probably backup what I can, and re-format under such circumstances.

edit:
as someone said above:
check the "finder" preferences. Someone may have selected not to show CDs, or HDDs in finder or the desktop. Maybe the system randomly set it as such for unknown reasons.

Open finder, select "finder" then "preferences" it will be in there somewhere.

ied0135

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Waco, Texas
It won't show in either the PC or the Mac, I had it formatted on my Mac and worked fine until I uninstalled the windows partition. Now it doesn't work at all. The light of the HD comes on obviously, but neither computer will recognize that it exists.

The PC has MacDrive installed on it, still not recognizable.

I will try to do the unplug everything method and see if that works even though its USB. Worth a try right? God I cannot lose all my info on here. Ugh this is horrible...

Thanks everyone, I will post my results...

ied0135

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Waco, Texas
Still not working, here are 2 SS's of what I am looking at....

First one is the error message I receive when I plug-in the Ext HD at first.

Picture1-1.jpg

Second image is my disc utility, it shows that the drive is there, but it won't let me do anything on the disc utility to fix it or anything...

Picture12.jpg

What can I do?

Thanks again!

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
can you take the drive out of the external case? - plug it into your room mates PC and then see if it picks it up? If the system detects it mac drive should then see it.

Just make sure you have the Jumper settings in the drive correctly set. BY default i believe there on either Master or CS ( cable select)

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
It won't show in either the PC or the Mac, I had it formatted on my Mac and worked fine until I uninstalled the windows partition. Now it doesn't work at all. The light of the HD comes on obviously, but neither computer will recognize that it exists.

The PC has MacDrive installed on it, still not recognizable.

I will try to do the unplug everything method and see if that works even though its USB. Worth a try right? God I cannot lose all my info on here. Ugh this is horrible...

Thanks everyone, I will post my results...

you uninstalled the windows partition? How exactly did you do that?

It seems that by doing whatever you did to a partition, you somehow corrupted the disk. I cannot think of anything if the computer sees it but fails to read from it properly. The reset method I told you only worked when the firewire was not recognized at all, in disk utility or system profiler.

your disk does show up, however it does not seem to be able to read from it. Maybe you also deleted the small part where it stores the partition, and file system information. IF that were the case, Disk utility should at least be able to format the drive.

My only conclusion to this is that the drive itself is broken. I can think of no way to recover what is on it.

I hope you can find a way, or that someone here knows of a way. The person who suggested to take it out of the case and wire it to a Pc may be on to something, but in my opinion I don't believe it will do much. Not unless the reason for all this is a damaged USB cable or port on the HDD.

ied0135

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Waco, Texas
I put in a windows XP install disc, and deleted the partition through the setup. So I may have also deleted the ext HD partition as well, I am not sure...

But yes you are correct, Mac recognizes that the HD is there, but won't let me access anything on it. Also what I don't get its that ALL if my music was on there, and yet some of my music plays on iTunes, and some does not... Even though iTunes has to have the music file saved int he same location it was added from... I checked the back-up iTunes library file that iTunes makes, and nothing is there either... so I have no idea whats going on...

Also I will try to figure out how to open the HD and wire it sata... Didn't think of that, but will try it as well.

Thanks for he help still guys, I know I'm a pain haha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.