Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I am trying to connect to the samba drives at work in OS X. I currently use Vmware with XP, VPN to my office, then connect to the mounted drives just as I would if I were there locally.

My problem is connecting to them in OS X.5.5. At work, i just hit command-K, then type SMB://server/drive and it mounts perfectly. At home, I connect the VPN with no problem, hit command-K, and it says the server address is invalid and cannot be found. I try the IP and the host name. Is there something I'm doing wrong or can this just not work at all? In that case, what would I even be able to do over the VPN? i cannot even ping the server's local IP? Im sick of using XP just to VPN and open excel to edit a few files. I'd rather not waste the time and just do it in OS X.

Work server is windows 2003 R2.

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
When you use XP, do you use a cisco client or anything? Or just the built in VPN capability? If you use a client, see if they make one available for OS X.

What kind of VPN is it? L2TP over IPSec or PPTP?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
When you use XP, do you use a cisco client or anything? Or just the built in VPN capability? If you use a client, see if they make one available for OS X.

What kind of VPN is it? L2TP over IPSec or PPTP?

Doesn't matter...

I am trying to connect to the samba drives at work in OS X. I currently use Vmware with XP, VPN to my office, then connect to the mounted drives just as I would if I were there locally.

My problem is connecting to them in OS X.5.5. At work, i just hit command-K, then type SMB://server/drive and it mounts perfectly. At home, I connect the VPN with no problem, hit command-K, and it says the server address is invalid and cannot be found. I try the IP and the host name. Is there something I'm doing wrong or can this just not work at all? In that case, what would I even be able to do over the VPN? i cannot even ping the server's local IP? Im sick of using XP just to VPN and open excel to edit a few files. I'd rather not waste the time and just do it in OS X.

Work server is windows 2003 R2.

Your guest OS (WinXP) and host OS (OS X) are separate. This means that just because your guest OS (WinXP) is connected via VPN, your host OS (OS X) is not, and is just a regular client on your own network. In other words, connecting your guest OS to the VPN won't connect your host OS as well.

MacForMeOneDay

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Doesn't matter...

Your guest OS (WinXP) and host OS (OS X) are separate. This means that just because your guest OS (WinXP) is connected via VPN, your host OS (OS X) is not, and is just a regular client on your own network. In other words, connecting your guest OS to the VPN won't connect your host OS as well.

It does to matter. The 2nd poster was asking the question because the original poster needs to obtain an OS X version of the VPN software (or use the built in) to run on OS X.

You can think of the XP Virtual Machine as a separate machine from the Mac. The traffic does NOT go from Mac -> XP -> Internet/VPN. Although if using a NAT network in the Virtual Machine, it is possible to route XP -> Mac -> VPN (but you usually need to define the company DNS in the TCP/IP settings)

If the original poster ONLY has XP VPN client available then the only option that you'll be able to use is to also setup a Proxy Server in the XP guest to route the work traffic from the Mac through. Its difficult to setup so its not for the faint of heart. I'll try to find the instructions I saw once.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
let me clear up something, sorry for the confusion.

I connect to the work's VPN through mac os x's software (network settings, new conenction, VPN) and THIS is where I cannot mount the drives using OS X.

XP is completely out of the picture when I am trying to connect to the drives in OS X. When I am trying to do it in OS X, the virtual machine is shut down, and I do realize that I cannot use the Virtual machine's VPN connection to try to mount the drive in OS X.

It is a PPTP connection, and in XP i just use the built in software to connect.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006

I connect to the work's VPN through mac os x's software (network settings, new conenction, VPN) and THIS is where I cannot mount the drives using OS X.

XP is completely out of the picture when I am trying to connect to the drives in OS X. When I am trying to do it in OS X, the virtual machine is shut down, and I do realize that I cannot use the Virtual machine's VPN connection to try to mount the drive in OS X.

First, you need to know what you can and can't do through your company's VPN. These rules are set on the VPN server. On the surface, your case looks like that your company's VPN doesn't allow it. Are there any other employees succeeding to connect shared network storage either using MacOSX or Windows via the VPN?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005

Are you using the same IP address range at home and at work? They should be different (i.e. 10.x.x.x at work and 192.168.x.x.x at home)

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Are you using the same IP address range at home and at work? They should be different (i.e. 10.x.x.x at work and 192.168.x.x.x at home)

This could be the problem.

Mmulin, Yes, I do have access to the drives because i CAN connect to them over VPN in windows xp. I CANNOT connect to them over VPN in Mac OS X.

Would I need to change my IP range at home? If i changed it from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.0.xxx would this have any effect?

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Would I need to change my IP range at home? If i changed it from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.0.xxx would this have any effect?

It may or may not (*Thanks Deep Thought). It all depends on your company's network setup in relation to your own network. So, check what the IP range of your VPN is and what the IP range at your home network is. If they are in the same, you know what to do.

Another thing to check if the routing is the same. Check under XP and see if the VPN does the same for under Mac OSX.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
What I'd recommend is checking your IP at work. If it's a 192.168.x.x address, change yours to say, 172.16.6.x, so you aren't even close to what they use. They may have several 192.168.x.x subnets on various parts of the network, so by changing the first octet (192 to 172 in this case), you can be fairly confident you won't collide with what is implemented at work.

lorne17

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2007
Hello there,

I am trying to do a similar thing.

When at work on the same wireless network, I am able to connect via Internet Connect/VPN on my Mac OS. Then I use the smb://192.168.xxxx (different IP address than used for VPN connection) and it works flawlessly.

However I just had ACL surgery and when I try to connect at home, I cannot. It gives me an error. I can connect through the Internet Connect/VPN without any hiccups, but when I go to the smb://192.168.xxxxxx it gives me errors.

Any ideas? Is there just one step I'm missing since I'm now on a different network.

Thanks in advance,
Lorne

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
what is the IP range at your house?

if it is 192.168.X.X you need to change it on your router at home to something else. I changed it to 10.0.1.x, but it depends on what router you have as to what you can change it to. What kind of router do you have at home?

open system prefs, click network, and click either ethernet or airport (however you're connected) and see the current IP of your computer. Also look at the VPV and see what IP it gave you. If they are in the same range, your home network needs to be changed.

macam

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
same problems....

:confused:

Yeah so I connect to a Server 2003 RC2 network via VPN. I'm using Snow Leopard and I'm connecting via the built in VPN software. It basically connects fine. I read the posts above and took the advice to change the IP address of my network and see if I can see the server. I still can't.

Interestingly tho - I can, when connected via VPN, connect to my server using the work internal IP address with Remote Desktop. I just can't see it via finder even if I do cmd+k. When I'm on the network I see all the connected computers on my network. Just doesn't work when I'm on VPN.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to resolve this issue. Also - this has never worked and would love it to work as I really would like to be completely able to work remotely!

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
My guess is it's because your home machine cannot resolve the name of the server through the VPN. Instead of smb://server/share type in smb://<IP address of server>/share

If you have a bunch of these shares to connect to it may be beneficial to add the office's DNS server into your network settings. Otherwise for just one or two shares the method above will work fine.

macam

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
My guess is it's because your home machine cannot resolve the name of the server through the VPN. Instead of smb://server/share type in smb://<IP address of server>/share

If you have a bunch of these shares to connect to it may be beneficial to add the office's DNS server into your network settings. Otherwise for just one or two shares the method above will work fine.

DUDE! you totally nailed it! REMOTE working here I come - I'm calling in sick tomorrow! LOL!

In all seriousness - I really appreciate the rapid response and correct analysis of the problem! Thanks man! :)

funphotog52

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Madison, Al
I need help also!

Using a PC laptop, I can connect via VPN to my Win SQl server 08R2 servers and gain access to my public and private folders, read/write fine. Wirelessly or wired . When I go home, I can use my PC's and same operations. When I try my Macbookpro, I got the VPN connected, it connects, but WHERE do I enter the SMB:// server name at? on my PCs, I enter in the finder explorer \\ab34 (the name of the server) and it shows my server drive and I am good to go!

Thanks!

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Using a PC laptop, I can connect via VPN to my Win SQl server 08R2 servers and gain access to my public and private folders, read/write fine. Wirelessly or wired . When I go home, I can use my PC's and same operations. When I try my Macbookpro, I got the VPN connected, it connects, but WHERE do I enter the SMB:// server name at? on my PCs, I enter in the finder explorer \\ab34 (the name of the server) and it shows my server drive and I am good to go!

Thanks!

Make sure your in finder, then press command+k, type it in there

funphotog52

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Madison, Al
Thanks! I found that after I researched some more! I tried SMB://ab1 then //ab1/public, then //ab1/user.name@domain.com, and other variations! To no avail. Read some more, and tried other hints. Nothing! Tried the ip address. nothing. Since I am the net admin, I can set permissions etc, but I am not savvy on Mac peculiarities! Surely there is someone who is using a Mac to log onto a Windows Server 2008 R2 system! The COMMAND-K gave me hope, if I can just connect with someone! The local Apple store could not help, altho they tried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.