Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdylan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Bagram, Afghanistan
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. I am a Apple TV newbie, looking to buy one for the first time. I looked on eBay and found the 40GB, the 160GB, and also a 250GB? I didn't see a 250GB on the Apple site, so is this a scam, or did the seller modify the thing? He has a picture of a legit Apple box, so it looks real.

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-TV-250-GB...=39:1|66:2|65:3|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy one? Thanks.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. I am a Apple TV newbie, looking to buy one for the first time. I looked on eBay and found the 40GB, the 160GB, and also a 250GB? I didn't see a 250GB on the Apple site, so is this a scam, or did the seller modify the thing? He has a picture of a legit Apple box, so it looks real.

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-TV-250-GB...=39:1|66:2|65:3|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy one? Thanks.

It is not a scam, but your Apple warranty will be void. If you need more than 160 GB of HD space, you'd be better off to patch your aTV and connect an external USB harddrive.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
It's been modified. And if you are any type of person that likes to:
1) DIY
2) Save some money
3) Want the extra space,

then buy the 40gb ATV, and the appropriate 250gb (Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVE, PATA ~$50-100) hard drive and do-it-yourself!

Downside: Voided Apple warranty. Not like it truly matters, though. I haven't heard much in terms of AppleTV failure or problems that require warranty service. Do what I did, buy a used 40GB AppleTV. Mine's out of warranty, and I plan on upgrading some time in the future.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
It's been modified. And if you are any type of person that likes to:
1) DIY
2) Save some money
3) Want the extra space,

then buy the 40gb ATV, and the appropriate 250gb (Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVE, PATA ~$50-100) hard drive and do-it-yourself!

Downside: Voided Apple warranty. Not like it truly matters, though. I haven't heard much in terms of AppleTV failure or problems that require warranty service. Do what I did, buy a used 40GB AppleTV. Mine's out of warranty, and I plan on upgrading some time in the future.

If you go this route reference Cave Man's excellent write-up on 'how to' and then some.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/438073/

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
Boxee?

Does Boxee qualify as one of the 'patching' solutions to get USB connectivity to work?

It is not a scam, but your Apple warranty will be void. If you need more than 160 GB of HD space, you'd be better off to patch your aTV and connect an external USB harddrive.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
I would air on the side of caution and not buy that item. You never really know what has been done to it when the specs don't match Apple's configurations.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Just to distract from the OP's question, I have one about upgrading the hard drive on my Apple TV to 250GB.

I'm pretty comfortable with hardware, so I have no qualms about swapping out the drive. My concern is in actually making the copy of the 40GB drive to the 250GB one. Specifically, how can I be confident that when I hook up the 40GB drive to my G5 iMac via a IDE->USB/FW cable that I will not corrupt the HD and brick the whole thing?

A couple of the web sites I have read seem to indicate that using a PowerPC Mac can cause problems with parts of the hard drive. I'm not inclined to drop $150 on a forensic read-only drive bay. I can probably get access to an Intel MacBook for a few days as well. I'm just worried about the risk of having a bricked ATV before I can build myself a backup image.

Anyone whose done this have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.