Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I currently have 3 500 gig drives in my drobo and am at 60% usage. I have noticed that the fans run a lot more than they used to. I presume that is due to percentage of usage?

I am also going to be buying a 1 tb drive to put in the fourth bay. That way as I run out of space I will just start pulling the 500 gig drives and replacing them with 1 tb drives.

Question, how would I erase the data on the 500 when I remove them from the drobo?

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
I'm not sure this is the right place for this but....

Used and free space on your drives won't affect how hot they run. The drives get hot when they're spinning, when you're reading or writing to them. Storage devices spend a lot of time at idle so the fans shouldn't need to be very active the majority of the time.

To erase the drives you will need to put them in another machine, or an external enclosure and format them. You can use an OS install dvd or Disk Utility. If you have any sensitive data you will want to use a program made for destroying data to more thoroughly erase the data.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
problem is I don't have anything else to put the drives in and so I have no idea how to erase it. I will watch the temp as it has been hot here.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The way a drobo works the data files are spread out all over the place anyway, spanned between disks, such that the disks would most likely not be readable once you remove them anyway. I am sure that some low-level diagnostic utilities may be able to find some useful data on the disks, but to the average user the data would look like gibberish. It would be interesting to pull a disk from the drobo and look at its contents, but I don't think you will be able to make any use of it.

CultHero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
that is perfect! I was looking for a 500 gig 2.5" drive to put in my safe, but now I can just use the old 3.5"'s!

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
The Newer Technology Universal Adapters are amazingly awesome and versatile, all our techs are equipped with them at my organization (with the fancy bag OWC sells for them).

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
If you want to keep using the 500's you can probably get an external enclosure for not much more than the adapter. Those adapters are useful though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.