Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakerfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
I am transferring the entire harddrive in my existing MBP to my new MBP today using Migration Assistant using ethernet.

Quick (and dumb) questions here:
1) Do i just connect two MBPs with an existing ethernet cable to get them connected or do i need to take further steps to do so? If so, then what do i need to do?
2) I think I have about 100GB of applications, songs, movies, photos, etc. If I use ethernet cable to transfer these, how long would it take?

Thank you in advance!

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
i transferred about 80 gigs from my imac to my prev. gen. mbp over firewire 800 and it took about 2 hours tops. i'm not sure about ethernet speeds.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Here's what I did.

1) Booted up new MBP
2) Selected transfer over Ethernet
3) Was instructed by the MBP to put the new MBP install discs into my iMac
4) Installed Migration Assistant software on my iMac
5) Rebooted iMac
6) MBP took care of the rest.

Coldwater

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
I am transferring the entire harddrive in my existing MBP to my new MBP today using Migration Assistant using ethernet.

Quick (and dumb) questions here:
1) Do i just connect two MBPs with an existing ethernet cable to get them connected or do i need to take further steps to do so? If so, then what do i need to do?
2) I think I have about 100GB of applications, songs, movies, photos, etc. If I use ethernet cable to transfer these, how long would it take?

Thank you in advance!

In theory, you should be able to just directly connect them. I'm not sure if the old MBP's had Gigabit ethernet, but I transfered about 50GB over old 10/100 ethernet and the process took about 3 hours. Over Gigabit ethernet it should take 1/10th (1000 mbits vs 100) the time, so about half an hour for your 100 GB.
I couldn't get my two (A PC and a new MBP) to direct connect with each other, so here's what I did. (NOTE: I'm guessing you can just hook two MBPs up and use migration assistant, if that fails use my method below)

Now remember that this is from the perspective of PC -> Mac, Mac -> Mac should be a smoother transition but this is just a general guide.
You'll need a router with at least two LAN ports on the back, and two ethernet cables.
Plug one cable from the MBP to a LAN port on the router, the same for the other computer.
The router should assign a IP to both computers. Find that out (For a PC it was run -> ipconfig) and command K on the mac to bring up the "connect to server" prompt. Type in smb://IP (In my case it was smb://192.168.1.102)
FOR PC's ONLY: Set up a shared folder (under the folder options, give it a share name)
On the Mac, type in your PC's user name and password (you should be prompted when you attempt to click on the share)
Transfer data!
Over Gigabit ethernet, it's the fastest transfer speed you can get (Baring sever grade 10 Gigabit Ethernet or InfiniBand, but let's not get crazy here. :D), but it takes more effort (at least in my situation) then Firewire 800.

As I stated, that's a PC -> Mac guide but using the router (for purposes of DHCP) is a universal solution.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
100 GB will take a few hours, not just a half hour.

You're actually setting up the new computer while it's transferring.

Just connect the two computers, run Migration Assistant, and you will be prompted on what to do.

It's a very easy process so enjoy your new computer!

Reactions: SFjohn

Coldwater

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
100 GB will take a few hours, not just a half hour.

You're actually setting up the new computer while it's transferring.

Just connect the two computers, run Migration Assistant, and you will be prompted on what to do.

It's a very easy process so enjoy your new computer!

Over a 100mbit line, I transfered 50 GB in about 3 hours. Granted I didn't use migration assistant, but a 1000mbit connection should in theory be 10x faster, correct? What does migration assistant do in the background that slows everything down?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Over a 100mbit line, I transfered 50 GB in about 3 hours. Granted I didn't use migration assistant, but a 1000mbit connection should in theory be 10x faster, correct? What does migration assistant do in the background that slows everything down?

Migration Assistant let's you know that it's actually setting up all the data that was transferred. Sustained speeds, I am unsure how high they really are.

gmark2000

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
Toronto, Canada
After several failed attempts to transfer over Firewire, I'm using ethernet to migrate from a 17" Powerbook to 17" Macbook Pro.

The Migration Assistant presently shows that it would take 10 hours and 15 minutes to complete. This is for 120Gigs of data moved to a 250Gig hard disk.

apersianboyCOM

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
London, UK
I selected the migration assistant option and it said connect firewire then I clicked on use network and it did it over ethernet. Transferred 10GB of data in around half an hour.

stormtroopar

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
In line with the question asked above, does anyone know what the Migration Assistant does besides transfer file? Someone mention it "setup" the files, but what does that really include? Renaming / resetup the copied files so it works on the new machine?

Just curious as I just got a Macpro and am trying to transfer my settings and files from my Macbook air to the new Macpro. It was taking a long time, it said 3.5 hours but when I woke up this morning, it had a network error and didn't transfer everything over... Also another annoying thing is, you can't have the 2 computers to have the same User name or Home dir name, it has to be different for Migration Assistant to work.. So what the Migration Assistant did was create another new user name and transfer everything into there.. I did the transfer over wifi from my macbook air and my macpro is connected through the ethernet to the router of the same network. I know the transfer problem probably came from the macbook air using wifi but I don't have any firewire or ethernet adapter on the Macbook Air at the moment...

So I am curious if copying over the files manually myself is the same thing or does the Migration Assistant does a lot more than that? Thanks.

hooper2

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
I'm transferring 130 gigs from uMB to uMBP via ethernet cable.... (both 250 gig HD's)

4 hours and counting... The progress bar looks like it is slightly UNDER 10% done... wow...

hooper2

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
I'm transferring 130 gigs from uMB to uMBP via ethernet cable.... (both 250 gig HD's)

4 hours and counting... The progress bar looks like it is slightly UNDER 10% done... wow...

So... I was using a CAT 5 ethernet cable... Went out and got a CAT 6 and it is flying and less than 1 hour and a half to go... oops.

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
question, are you guys...
connecting a patch cable from each system to a router ?
connecting a single patch cable to each system ?
using a crossover cable and connecting the single cable to each system?

the reason i'm asking is that I always assumed you had to either use a crossover or a router?

stormtroopar

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
question, are you guys...
connecting a patch cable from each system to a router ?
connecting a single patch cable to each system ?
using a crossover cable and connecting the single cable to each system?

the reason i'm asking is that I always assumed you had to either use a crossover or a router?

First, thanks hooper2 for the cat6 info.. I didn't even bother to check my network cables and have used stuff that has been around for 10 years. Went out and bought some cat6 cables from Fry's and now I do find my gigabit network to be snappier and overall faster and more stable. I also redid my migration assistant and was much faster than the first time around due to the cable and me stop using wifi on the notebook end.

So I finally got everything working perfectly with a successful and smooth transfer. Hopefully this information will be helpful for people might want to do something similar, in my case, transferring from my existing Mac air notebook to my new Macpro computer... and to answer your question Mainomega,

You can use the Migration Assistant with ethernet either having both computer hook up to a router Or they can be hooked up directly to each other through the ethernet cable. You do not need to use a crossover cable to directly connect 2 computers together. I know you used to have to use a crossover for that, but I at least know my Macpro doesn't require that anymore and most modern network devices don't anymore.

Previously I stated the migration assistant crash before it finish when I tried it the first time (see my previous post), so I went out and got myself a USB to Ethernet cord so that I don't have to transfer out of the Mac air using wifi and I hook up the USB to Ethernet to my Macpro directly with a new Cat6 cable. If I was using a straight gigabit ethernet connection out of my notebook, the transfer would of went by much faster, but that is the downside of Macbook Air in that it doesn't have a native ethernet port...

Anyway, when I have this hookup and I open Migration Assistant (MA), it tells me I didn't finish the last migration and it ask me if I want to finish it, so I said yes to see what happens. It tries to do it for a long time but it didn't seem to go anywhere trying to resume the last migration, so I quit that and decide to redo the whole system on the new Macpro.

So I reinstall OSX leopard and wipe the HD clean. I wanted to do this because 1) the last migration was not complete and I want to have a clean slate with no extra / duplicate files dangling around before I do MA again. 2) because it couldn't migrate to the same user name, it migrated to a new user name the last time and I didn't really want that.. (more on this later as I found out how to get around this)

So once I finish reinstalling OSX, the OSX install / setup screen ask me if I want to transfer setting from another computer.. So I said yes, and I choose my Mac Air and this time I am transferring through the direct ethernet connection (found some use for the 2nd ethernet port on my macpro ;) )...

The Macpro found the Mac Air and it started the transfer from right there, no user name conflict problem because it was part of the install OSX setup and no user acct has been created yet.. So this is how to get around the user name conflict problem if you want to keep the same user name as your other computer. Basically, if skip this installation transfer, created an account of the same name, get into OSX and open MA from there and try to do a transfer, you will have to rename / create a new user account for MA to transfer your settings and files from the other computer to. If your old user name is Tom, and the new computer you set it to also Tom, MA will see this as a conflict and ask you to change it before you can do the transfer. It basically creates another user account and transfer to there instead.

So after a few hours of transfer, when I woke up this morning, everything was done. Transfer was successful and all the apps and settings (even all the small utilities...) are all setup on my new computer. Coming from many years of Windows, this is really really awesome!!

Hope others might find this info helpful.

Cheers.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
Ok so here's a dumb question. After everything transfers, I have iMovie, etc, that are the older version. I assume I ha e to use te set up disk and install iLife 11? I am guessing all the old apps transfer and overwrite the newer that's already reinstalls or will I get lucky and they will be upgraded?

balk

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
Ok so here's a dumb question. After everything transfers, I have iMovie, etc, that are the older version. I assume I ha e to use te set up disk and install iLife 11? I am guessing all the old apps transfer and overwrite the newer that's already reinstalls or will I get lucky and they will be upgraded?

Probably already answered, but for later reference. I had a similar concern: MB white '07 and a fresh MBP late 2011. The iLife apps are transferred 'smart'; they have been upgraded.

Other stats: transferred about 300GB in 2 1/2 hours over a cat6 cable port to port. An earlier attempt with an other cable failed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.