Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
ATV is doing my head in at the moment as it seems to be more flaky than ever before. So, I was wondering if people could comment on how I've got this setup and see if they'd do anything differently? I've just done a full restore on it and its just updating to the latest software at the moment.

So, thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated as it really is driving me mad with the constant Apple logo, stuttering video, blank menus, lack of response to the remote etc....

ATV is downstairs
ATV is connecting to an Onkyo amp via HDMI for audio & video
There's an AEBS beside the ATV
ATV connects to the AEBS via wireless
AEBS has a wireless n 2.4GHz network defined on it

iMac housing the iTunes library is upstairs
There's a Time Capsule beside it which is extending the network from the AEBS on the ground floor

Distance between devices on the different floors is 5 metres or so, but I can't run a patch cable from upstairs to downstairs.

I've turned the Time Capsule off just now, so everything is connecting via wireless to the AEBS on the ground floor.

So, would anyone with some experience of ATV care to give me some pointers on how best to set this all up to get the most out of ATV?

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Just a suggestion but would it help to connect your Apple TV via ethernet to the AEBS instead of wirelessly? Granted, your N setup should be more than adequate so it probably won't make much difference.

Mine also is connected to an Onkyo amp but I run the video via HDMI directly to the TV and then optical audio to the amp. I'm not really up on the HDMI use in receivers, not sure how optimal it is.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I agree. I would connect aTV to AEBS via Ethernet if they are next to each other already.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I used to have it connected via Ethernet as that's the logical choice, but I was still having problems, so thought I'd just go all-out wireless for starters.

Having just done all of this, its taken about 2 minutes to cue up a film (badly) from pressing select. I'm starting to think this just isn't going to work for me.

As for the HDMI switching, I think its less of an issue since the latest updates. It used to be the case that if you got the Apple logo up, a reboot would be the only way to recover it. But now it does seem to get back to something approaching the main menu, although sometimes there's no menu options within the menu. Progress? Kind of...

crotalus99

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
I have 2 aTVs that are strictly N and one that is on ethernet because of reception. I really do not notice that big a difference at all though.

I noticed that with the wireless N that it worked much better when I bought the time capsule. I have heard people say that the brand can make a difference and mixing different companies can cause problems.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
where is the modem attached? if the modem is upstairs with the mac, then it doesn't matter if the atv is attached via ethernet.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
setup

What I would do:

1) switch to wired ethernet wherever possible, eg between appleTV and AEBS.
2) try component video cables and optical audio instead of HDMI (all of my audio is sent through my receiver, and all of my video outputs go directly to the TV)
3) is the iMac set for streaming or syncing? Content running directly from the appleTV will probably work best, as opposed to streaming content
4) the simpler your network, the better. Do you need an AEBS and a Time Capsule? Can you set the time capsule next to the Apple TV and use that for wired connection?

Good luck!

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Still trying to get this thing working reliably!

Content stored on the ATV seems to be OK in the main, so its definitely streaming that's giving me grief. I've now got the following setup.

Ground floor:

Netegar ADSL router/modem <--> AEBS <--> Apple TV
All wired connections.

First floor:

iMac connecting wirelessly to the AEBS downstairs.

I'm running wireless N in 5Ghz mode. Have tried increasing and decreasing the multicast rate. Its a new-bulid house, so the walls/floors shouldn't be an issue and the distance between the base station and the iMac isn't that huge even though they're on different floors. I've just tried raising the AEBS on to a shelf so the distance to the AEBS from the iMac is even shorter now.

This is just doing my head in. I really don't see why its proving to be so difficult to get smooth streaming from the iMac down to the Apple TV.

Any ideas?

call235jake

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
What's best?

Similar question. I just bought my :apple:TV and I'm gonna add Boxee, but I want to know what's best for my situation.

I have over 600 dvds and about 400 avi's burned to disc. I want to be able to turn on my :apple:TV and see all my movies and play them. I plan on adding them to a HDD, but what to choose. D-link DNS-323? WD 1TB MyBook world ED? I don't know. I'm asking you guys with the experience before I waste my money on a bad setup.

Presently, I'm using (2) WinXP lappys connected wirelessly via linksys54g. I want to share them to the HDD to send music, movies and shows to. Do I need a NAS for that? I don't want to leave the HDD connected to my laptop because I take it to work. Rather than listing a bunch of your expensive componets, can you tell me the best (least expensive) setup to this problem? ie get a cable modem, wireless router, NAS storage, and plug them in like this...

Sorry for being such a N00b. :eek:

Thanks for your expertise.
~Jake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.