Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubundows

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
To connect a macbook pro to the 20" LCD apple cinema display? Or is that for non-Apple monitors?

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Yes, you need it. The only display you do not need the adapter for is the new Cinema display made specifically for the MacBook and Macbook Pro's. The new cinema display will not be released until next month, and it will be $899 for the 24".

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
As the other guy said, yep. Only the one new ACD will have DisplayPort. Every other monitor on the planet will have D-Sub (VGA), DVI, or HDMI. I would really like to thank Apple for completely passing HDMI by, the stupid cable that carries both audio and video and can be found on about any HDTV sold today. Thank you for totally supporting a technology that nooooobody uses yet. :)

sarah3585

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Do I need the same cable Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable to hook the new mbp to a dell (2007wfp)?

PedroQ

macrumors member
May 12, 2005
To connect my late 2008 mbp to my school projector, i should use the mini display port to VGA adapter, right?

Thanks

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
As the other guy said, yep. Only the one new ACD will have DisplayPort. Every other monitor on the planet will have D-Sub (VGA), DVI, or HDMI. I would really like to thank Apple for completely passing HDMI by, the stupid cable that carries both audio and video and can be found on about any HDTV sold today. Thank you for totally supporting a technology that nooooobody uses yet. :)

Actually DisplayPort supports audio as well, but blame Apple for developing the proprietary mini format. As with nobody using it? The Dell 30" monitor has the DisplayPort built-in.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Actually DisplayPort supports audio as well, but blame Apple for developing the proprietary mini format. As with nobody using it? The Dell 30" monitor has the DisplayPort built-in.

That 30" Dell also has HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, S-Video, Composite, Component... and DisplayPort. Every connection you could even think of! While Apple's forces you with just 1 input, one that requires you to buy a $100 cable. Also are there any Video cards out yet that support DisplayPort connection?

What type of Cinema Display do you have? Is it the acrylic or aluminum one? The AL one should have a DVI cable so all you really need is a DVI cable to hook it up. You're MBP has a full size DVI port if you have the older one. If your Cinema Display only has once cable coming out of it and looks like a DVI but slightly bigger, then you will need this ADC adapter.

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003

1. DisplayPort supports audio, but not in the same way that HDMI supports audio. It seems that the new 24" mini-DisplayPort cinema display does audio over USB, not DisplayPort, right?

2. Apple's previous display connectors (mini-VGA, mini-DVI, micro-DVI) have indeed been proprietary. With lock, mini-DisplayPort will not be. There's nothing official yet, but it seems that Apple has contributed the mini-DisplayPort connector specification to VESA for possible inclusion in version 1.2 of the DisplayPort standard.

3. Some Dell and HP monitors have built-in DisplayPort, but so far only that one Apple 24" cinema display has built-in mini-DisplayPort. We can hope for cheap miniDP-to-DP adapters before too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.