Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbinzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Hi forum

I use FF3 and recently I have experienced a strange thing.
My bookmarks.html file is intact (checked it in text editor) and is located where it's supposed to be but for some reason FF doesn't load it during startup or at least not completely. Some of the bookmarks does appear but a whole bunch is left out.

bookmarks.hmtl is located in /library/application support/firefox/profiles/********.default/

I tried to reinstall FF3 and restore bookmarks via FF from backup but no luck.

Another strange thing: The bookmarks that does appear, some of them converts into the last adress I was visiting - which of course makes them quite useless.

Anyone have a similar experience or better, a solution to restore the bookmarks?

/Jonas

G-Com

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
North of The 'Nati
Hi forum

I use FF3 and recently I have experienced a strange thing.
My bookmarks.html file is intact (checked it in text editor) and is located where it's supposed to be but for some reason FF doesn't load it during startup or at least not completely. Some of the bookmarks does appear but a whole bunch is left out.

bookmarks.hmtl is located in /library/application support/firefox/profiles/********.default/

I tried to reinstall FF3 and restore bookmarks via FF from backup but no luck.

Another strange thing: The bookmarks that does appear, some of them converts into the last adress I was visiting - which of course makes them quite useless.

Anyone have a similar experience or better, a solution to restore the bookmarks?

/Jonas
Try Importing them. Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks. Click the button that looks like a star in an oval (fourth from left,) click Import HTML, select from an HTML file and locate the file. Click continue. The new file will appear in a sub-folder under Bookmarks menu under All Bookmarks. Open that file, highlight all the bookmarks, and drag them to wherever you want.

jbinzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
Try Importing them. Bookmarks>>Organize Bookmarks. Click the button that looks like a star in an oval (fourth from left,) click Import HTML, select from an HTML file and locate the file. Click continue. The new file will appear in a sub-folder under Bookmarks menu under All Bookmarks. Open that file, highlight all the bookmarks, and drag them to wherever you want.

Thanks for the tip - but, alas, it doesn't seem to work.

I might add that none of my bookmarks show in the firefox library dialog, which leads me to believe that there's something more serious going on :-/

Would it be possible to create af new profile in firefox and import the new bookmarks into that profile?

G-Com

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
North of The 'Nati
Thanks for the tip - but, alas, it doesn't seem to work.

I might add that none of my bookmarks show in the firefox library dialog, which leads me to believe that there's something more serious going on :-/

Would it be possible to create af new profile in firefox and import the new bookmarks into that profile?
No.

Try this: back up the bookmarks folder to disc or an external drive, the trash Firefox and all the support files. Re-download it and install the bookmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.