Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
I have surround sound 5.1 connected to dvd player now (pretty big...with all of the individual speaker wires coming out of the back of the dvd player (6 sets of wires))

1) How would this speaker work with apple tv? I want to keep the surround sound

2) When downloading movies or renting movies from itunes...is it in widescreen format?

3) Connecting apple tv to the tv? Does it come with the cable? (what cable is it )

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

1) It all depends. If the DVD player has a digital input for sound you can run if through there. If not you are out of luck.

2) Most movies and tv shows are in widescreen format. There are several older movies and such that are in a 4:3 ratio (Full Screen) format. For the most part everything that you buy or rent will be widescreen.

3) You can connect the AppleTV to your TV with either a HDMI cable or Component Video cables.

Hope this helps.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Oh yeah, in response to question 3, it does not come with any cables other than the power cable.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I assume you mean that you have a 5.1 receiver that you have your DVD player hooked up to? I also assume that you have an HDTV, since you are considering purchasing an Apple TV?

If so, then connect your Apple TV to your HDTV with an HDMI cable. If your DVD player has HDMI and you have another input on your TV, do the same there. If not, use component. Then, connect your TV to your receiver with a Toslink/optical audio cable. Then you'll get 5.1 surround with your Apple TV encodes, provided you select to passthrough the AC3 stream when you Handbrake your movies.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
hmmm..wow that sounds kinda confusing...no wonder apple tv is still steve's "hobby".

i thought you would just hook the apple tv up and bingo thats it.

my 5.1 speakers..are speakers taht came with the dvd player...no digitial

tv is HD compatible ( i think)

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
The Apple TV is very easy to set-up. Just buy an inexpensive HDMI cable and connect it from your Apple TV to your HDTV. Then plug it in.

As for your speaker system, it really depends on what type it is and what connectors it has. The Apple TV itself is not difficult to set-up, but getting your entire audio/video system connected requires some forethought. It all depends on what components you have and how they inter-connect with one another.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
is there a website where i can check if my tv is compatiable with apple tv? its circa 2003

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
From the Apple website: "Compatible with enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of 1080p/1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), or 480p 60Hz."

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
oh okay..so it sounds like i probably will have to go buy a new speaker system for apple tv..since the one i have now is pretty much built for the dvd player.

is it easy to return the apple tv if i find it doesnt work with my tv? My fear is i try to play a movie i got from itunes and the quality just isnt there.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
If you DVD player has an optical input you can pipe the sound through the DVD player.

Chances are you'll have to purchase a cheap 5.1 receiver and hook your speakers up to that. Your DVD player as well as your Apple TV should be able to connect to the receiver for sound.

Video will go straight to the TV from both the DVD and the ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.