Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtype

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
dallas, nation of texas
What are some good keyboard options for garageband that are somewhat affordable? Assume that I'll be using the keyboard exclusively with a Powerbook and Garageband via USB or midi.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
It looks pretty basic, but good quality. Im not very advanced so it will be just fine for me. Im actually starting to take piano lessons next week. I took them for about a year, but I am starting back up again.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
M-Audio actually makes a whole bunch of neat stuff. I've had my eye on the Oxygen 8 for some time; the introduction of Garage Band just makes me hunger for it even more. A little more advanced (and a little more pricey) but even more lust-worth is the Ozone . That's outside my budget, at the moment, but I can dream, can't I? As far as prices go, both of those can be found much more cheaply than the M-Audio site, but i thought that'd be a good place to link to for the sake of info.
Both of those are smaller keyboards than the one Apple is reselling, but, as you mentioned you have a Powerbook (as I do), their smaller size would also make them much more portable in the even that you ever get into doing live stuff or whatever else.
For that, M-Audio also makes a cute little backpack that's perfectly suited to carrying one of those 25-key keyboards and a powerbook.

As for myself, I'm leaning very strongly towards the Oxygen 8. I hope that helps and doesn't complicate the search for you.

rtype

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
dallas, nation of texas
I don't really "understand" the 25 key keyboards? I imagine you hold a shift key or something to get to the other octaves?

I found the MAudio Keystation 49e for $80 at Macmall and I wanted to order the RadioShark anyway so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I figure $80 isn't that much to spend to figure out whether I'll use it enough to justify something better.

My friend has a Yamaha P50 which is what I really wanted. It's a very basic 88 key keyboard with really nice action and a good built in piano-like sound but its retail is $1600 and even at the most discounted runs about $1000 + tax/shipping. So I was trying to come up with what I could do for less than that. Maybe if I get really into it, I'll do the P50 later but it's certainly not as small as the Keystation or the Oxygen and Ozone.

As for the backpacks... it'd have to hold both the Powerbook and the midi keyboard to be truly useful. :)

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by rtype
I don't really "understand" the 25 key keyboards? I imagine you hold a shift key or something to get to the other octaves?

there is an octave up/down key.

edirol makes the best controllers, edirol usb/MIDI keyboards

they can also control VJ software.

peace.

btw- any old casio/yamaha with MIDI will work too (if you also have a MIDI interface).

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
I don't know too much about it, so forgive me if this is a stupid question... but how do the eridol controllers compare to the m-audio controllers? i mean what makes one better than another?

I hadn't seen it before, but this Evolution controller looks pretty sweet by virtue of it being pretty customizable.

I dunno. What do you think, neut?

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by absurdio
I don't know too much about it, so forgive me if this is a stupid question... but how do the eridol controllers compare to the m-audio controllers? i mean what makes one better than another?

<snip> ...Evolution controller looks pretty sweet by virtue of it being pretty customizable.

I dunno. What do you think, neut?

the edirols are well built (edirol is Roland) and they send ALL MIDI signals (most controllers send limited MIDI).

i've heard that evolution is ok, good customization.

this is supposed to be very slick (if you don't have fat fingers): microKontrol

the microKorg is a very nice keyboard, so i would assume the Kontrol operates just as well.

peace.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Re: keyboard

Originally posted by 6914708
Go with a Korg Triton wonderful keyboard. In my eyes it is the best you can buy.

the triton is a mini studio...much more than your typical GB user will need. pretty expensive as a controller and you will need a MIDI in to get GB too recognize it (for controller use...it has no USB). it is a very nice keboard, but a bit of an over-kill. i personally hate to use keyboards that have complete songs in one key...

peace.

barrettd

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Oklahoma City
Keystation 49e enough for GB?

I'm going to get the new iLife, and I have a G4 Powerbook Ti. If I get the Keystation 49 e, for example, will that be all I need to get midi sound into my PB, or will I need any add'l. stuff? I assumed the USB connection would provide all of the input to the PB that I'll need. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!

BD

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Re: Keystation 49e enough for GB?

Originally posted by barrettd
I assumed the USB connection would provide all of the input to the PB that I'll need. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!

BD

yup.

peace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.