Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
I've just moved my Harmon Kardon amp into the bed room so my ATV is connected to my ARCAM AVR250 via a DAC.

What are you using for an amp and whats the max you think its worth paying to get the most from ATV musically??

I'm thinking of a ARCAM Solo Mini at some stage for a compact system.

Cheers Phil

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
At present it's connected to a Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 6500 (stereo), although it has been connected to other amps in the past (Rotel RSX 1055, NAD C300 and NADC350).

I haven't used a DAC with mine because to be honest, I find the output from the built in DAC/Output stage to be more than good enough for what I use mine for. If I want to enjoy music seriously, I listen to CD or vinyl...

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I get the vinyl but wouldnt you want a DAC for the CD player?

What bitrate music are you guys playing?

Nah the DAC and output stage built into the CD player is pretty fantastic. It's a Beogram CD7000, arguably the best sounding player they made...

EDIT: I use 256k AAC. I find it next to impossible to distinguish between this and lossless equivalent, although it does show a bit on some recordings...

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature - 800W x 6 channels at 4 ohms (Hales Revelation 3 x 3 up front and M&K tripoles side and back). Great amp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.