Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rosasmum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Hi there

I am hoping to help my friend with her 10GB G3. It is full and soooo slow so I was hoping to erase what is currently there and install 10.4 ad use an external hard drive for any storage.

I have iBook discs for OS X 10.4. Will these work on a G3?

Thank you

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The restore CD/DVD that comes with a machine will only work on a similar machine. So iBook disks only work on iBooks.

In addition you would be breaking the EULA for OSX. This is casual software piracy.

zenspeaks

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2007
Yorkshire, UK.
Well, most of the discs supplied with the hardware are specifically for that system configuration. I am not sure that is going to work.
Recommendation: Get a stand alone OS X Disc.
All the best!

fohawk17

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
no you cannot. it is specifically for the ibook. i would suggest a purchase from apple.com. new os disk. thats about it. it also matters what type of g3 it is. if it is one of the old one with the CRT screens, they usually arnt able to run anything like 10.4 very well. i would suggest trying to find a 10.3 disk. not the easist, but it will run better

Rosasmum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks all, not sure about getting the discs, she doesn't have them and I don't think she'll want to spend any money! Might just see how it performs with an external hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.