Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starrfighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Hey everyone,

A couple days ago I lost my iPhone in the office. I know exactly where I left it but of course it is gone now. I suspect it might be stolen as my phone made a call to one of my contacts the morning after I lost it, but since then there has been no activity and the phone seems to be dead when I call it.

Regardless, I need to replace my phone but I just don't have the money to spend more than $199 on it right now. (Please don't give me crap about $400 not being much more than $200... it's just the current situation for me).

I've read that an alternative would be to add a second line and put a new iPhone on that line... I have some questions about the best way to make that happen. Since AT&T is already so paranoid about fraud, I want to go about doing it in the right way so that AT&T won't "flag me" somehow. I've been a customer for many years, so I probably won't look like a risk, but I'd like to hear from someone who has done this before if there is anyone out there.

- I have not yet reported the phone lost/stolen to ATT yet (ok since almost no activity yet). Should I do this before I go add another line and buy the iPhone or after? (Or does it not matter)?

- Should I go to the Apple store or the ATT store to do this (or does it also really not matter)?

- Is the $30/mo data plan part of my original contract, or can I get a cheap replacement phone for the existing iPhone line to remove the data plan fee? If so, should I do this before or after I set up the new line?

----
Also, being a profitable customer since probably 2002, and being an AT&T Premier customer- do you think there is any group or person in AT&T that would be more willing to make an exception for me without having to go through adding another line? Has anyone ever got this done for them?

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
if you can't afford $400 to replace your phone, how then can you afford to maintain 2 phone lines for 2 years.

starrfighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
if you can't afford $400 to replace your phone, how then can you afford to maintain 2 phone lines for 2 years.

Well, please see the part of my original post where I said "(Please don't give me crap about $400 not being much more than $200... it's just the current situation for me)."

Would a copy of my bank statement help clarify that?
Current cash on hand does not always indicate income.
I'm sure I can find someone who wants to split a family plan anyway if I really need to do that. It might be nice to have two numbers too.

Anyway, if anyone can answer any of my actual questions, I would really appreciate it.

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Well, I lost my iPhone for a while too...it was eventually returned which was really nice.

I called in and hoped they would be nice and I could somehow get a discounted rate and pretty much got the same answer....We can't on the iPhone...I talked to normal CSR and business. They were pleasant, but just couldnt give me the discount. So, I bought a new phone at apple and paid 499 for the 16GB. I returned it when I got my old phone back.

I'm trying to figure out what you would gain by opening another line...cause then you would pay to monthly fees every month.....are you thinking..I'll open the second line...get the discounted price then have someone eventually take the second line from you? and move the new iPhone onto your old line?

The only reason why you may want to report it is, once you report it you arent responsible for calls made on it. Let us know how it goes...

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
Well, please see the part of my original post where I said "(Please don't give me crap about $400 not being much more than $200... it's just the current situation for me)."

Would a copy of my bank statement help clarify that?
Current cash on hand does not always indicate income.
I'm sure I can find someone who wants to split a family plan anyway if I really need to do that. It might be nice to have two numbers too.

Anyway, if anyone can answer any of my actual questions, I would really appreciate it.

Not to jump down your throat, because I completely empathize with your financial situation, but, I think you missed his point. It's going to cost you much more in the long run to maintain 2 separate iPhone lines on your account rather than canceling the first, buying an unsubsidized 3G, and activating it.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think the cheapest route for you is to re-purchase a 3G at full price. If you add a line to get the subsidized 3G, you will have to pay for Voice and Data service for that phone, as well as for the lost iPhone. That's going to cancel out any savings the subsidized iPhone gives you pretty fast. You could add a line and cancel the first plan, for which you will have to pay an ETF. That will negate any savings adding a second iPhone to your account would give as well.

So, I say, just buy a new 3G, at full price, and that will be the least problematic and cheapest way to go. Definitely do the math for all possible scenarios. But, I think you will find buying an unsubsidized replacement is the best choice.

It sucks you lost your iPhone and it really sucks if it was stolen. Sorry.:(

daisuke07

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Just have to be very careful with your cell phone because if you lose it and you still have a contract you will have to pay full price with no discounts D:

At school I constantly touch my pocket to make sure it is in my pocket.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Call your credit card company that you purchased the iPhone on after you make a stolen iPhone claim with AT&T. They usually cover your stolen items which is nice, give it a try, can't hurt.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Call your credit card company that you purchased the iPhone on after you make a stolen iPhone claim with AT&T. They usually cover your stolen items which is nice, give it a try, can't hurt.

hahaha someone lied to you

maybe AMEX, but i doubt any other credit card offers that kind of protection

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I would say...

- Go ahead and try with AT&T. You never know. Make it clear to them that, if you are not able to get an iPhone, you will drastically reduce your postpaid monthly plan because the plan you have now will not be worth it. If you switch from a $110 including taxes / mo plan that you have now, to one that costs $40-50 including taxes / mo, then AT&T loses $60-70 / mo, or more than $700/year on you. It's worth it to them to work with you.

- If you can't, get a minimal, non-data phone that can easily be unlocked, either through AT&T with their discount or whatever other way. Convert your plan to a much lower cost monthly plan or prepaid, and then use the difference in monthly fee (I'd imagine you can save some $50+ / mo over AT&T's typical iPhone plan costs quite easily) and then use the money to replace your iPhone with a used one or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.