Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

permutated

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Is there a way to sync my calendar (or export it) from Google Calendars, load it into iCal in OSX and then sync that to my iPod Touch calendar program?

Can someone lead me through it step by step?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Wow i just googled it and found a step by step guide on how to do it!

It's amazing what you find if you just do a little legwork :)

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Wow, that above post was helpful lol.

I can prob help a little more. There are a few ways to do this, but not all of them allow for two way syncing. For instance ical can subscribe to a gcal but you only get info from gcal into ical.... ical wont push back up to gcal. So thats really not very useful.

The ultimate solution is to buy spanning sync. (http://www.spanningsync.com) which allows for two way syncing between ical and gcal. (you then obviously have to sync the phone with your mac - unfortunately the iphone cant sync through wifi or cellular to google (yet?).

There is also a newer option that google has developed - you can two way sync gcal with ical now, and its free which is nice. The only draw backs is any alerts you set up on one calendar (say, gcal) wont show up on the other calendar (say, ical). There are a couple fixes still coming and it seems that google plans to fix this. But it WILL do a two way sync. I always like free, so this is the route I am taking. you can read about this option here...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...endar-and-ical-can-sync-for-free-with-caveats

(note this requires you to physically sync your iphone with your computer still to get any change made on to all three devices. So far no one has made a true wireless 3 way sync that i know of - only option to get your ical, iphone, and web calendar to all sync is to pay the $100/yr for mobile me.

Good luck!

Chris

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Wow, that above post was helpful lol.

Maybe not but at least i wasn't rewarding laziness :)

I found everything you mentioned, including tutorials, in a simple google search.

Just think how much time of your life you wasted, just because the OP was lazy? Then again i should really think of how much time i wasted posting this. :)

Iamtherealwoody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
Maybe not but at least i wasn't rewarding laziness :)

I found everything you mentioned, including tutorials, in a simple google search.

Just think how much time of your life you wasted, just because the OP was lazy? Then again i should really think of how much time i wasted posting this. :)

Wow, why do you feel the need to reprimand people instead of helping? Just think if all communities were like this.

How about:
This information is easily found by searching in google for the keywords "sync" "OS X" "iCal". Next time please use the search function.

Too much effort for you? Who's the lazy one then? People come on these boards for help not to be chided.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nuevasync is another option

another option is to bypass ical for syncing and do what's called over the air syncing (which basically means syncing via wifi). there is a free service (in beta - but they say that they will keep a free version once it goes out of beta) called nuevasync. basically what it does is it hooks up with your google account and then your ipod touch connects to nuevasync and sync/pushes all your information between your ipod touch & google. you can decide to only sync one of your services (calendar/contacts) or all of them. so when you add a appointment to your ipod touch calendar, it will show up in your google calendar as well (usually within 15 minutes or less).

here are the caveats
- the way they do it is to set up an exchange server for you google information so if you are already connecting/syncing to an exchange server (most likely for work), you won't be able to do this.
- you have to give them access to your google calendar/contacts but this just a key to pull and push data, not to really "access" your information
- if you have multiple google calendars, they will show up as a single calendar on your ipod touch calendar application

i don't use nuevasync to sync my contacts so I don't know how well that function work - mainly it's because don't update my contacts as frequently as my appointments and i like being able to use groups that contacts are assigned to in address book and that doesn't sync to google contacts yet.

the nice thing is that you can keep this in sync with ical if you choose because google support CalDAV now so all you need to do is follow the instructions that duncanapple mentioned from google to set up ical with google calendar and you'll have a sync'd calendar on your ipod touch/google calendar/ical.

let me know if you have any questions.

Claus.L

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
free alternative to exchange-based sync wanted

Hi,
I want to share a calendar with my gf. She's using a iPod Touch (windows based iTunes) and I'm using Mac and iPhone.
As we already use Exchange for our respective business emails, we need another (preferably free) way of 2-way syncing calendars.
Did someone of you find a solution to this?
Thanks a lot,
Claus

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Hi,
I want to share a calendar with my gf. She's using a iPod Touch (windows based iTunes) and I'm using Mac and iPhone.
As we already use Exchange for our respective business emails, we need another (preferably free) way of 2-way syncing calendars.
Thanks a lot,
Claus

My understanding is that a limitation of the exchange server for the iphone/ipod touch is that you can only use one exchange server at a time and it basically wipes out your calendar & contacts from the data from your exchange server. So if you're already using an exchange server for your work, then you won't be able to sync any other calendar to your iphone calendar application.

I'm not aware of a 3rd party calendar app that you can use, but that's where I'd be looking. Cause the alternative is to use the web version of google calendar which is fine for viewing & adding events, but i don't think you can edit existing events. The other limitation is that you cannot work with it offline. If viewing and adding events and you have an internet connection (probably more of an issue for the ipod touch) when you need to view/update the calendar, then I'd just use the ipod touch/iphone web version of google calendar. All you will need to do (you may already have done this) is to edit the sharing options for your calendar to include your gf & have her do the same for you.

ksjet

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
I'm using nuevasync to sync my Google Calendar and iPod Touch. It works very well. I just added another calendar, but I don't see those tasks on the iPod. I don't mind if it shows up in the same calendar - actually, I would prefer that since the second calendar is a list of tasks, not appointments. How do I get this second calendar to sync as well?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Hi,
Thanks a lot,
Claus

If you use google calendar you can share calendars with each other in google. As noted above you can sync gcal through ical (showing both calendars). And then both calendars will show up on your touch/iphone when you sync.

Claus.L

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
If you use google calendar you can share calendars with each other in google. As noted above you can sync gcal through ical (showing both calendars). And then both calendars will show up on your touch/iphone when you sync.

That's sounds cool. But I guess, this will only work for me (using a mac), my gf would not see both calendars (gcal and her business exchange cal) on her iPod. Or am I wrong here?

Regards,
Claus

Claus.L

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
My understanding is that a limitation of the exchange server for the iphone/ipod touch is that you can only use one exchange server at a time and it basically wipes out your calendar & contacts from the data from your exchange server. So if you're already using an exchange server for your work, then you won't be able to sync any other calendar to your iphone calendar application.

I'm not aware of a 3rd party calendar app that you can use, but that's where I'd be looking. Cause the alternative is to use the web version of google calendar which is fine for viewing & adding events, but i don't think you can edit existing events. The other limitation is that you cannot work with it offline. If viewing and adding events and you have an internet connection (probably more of an issue for the ipod touch) when you need to view/update the calendar, then I'd just use the ipod touch/iphone web version of google calendar. All you will need to do (you may already have done this) is to edit the sharing options for your calendar to include your gf & have her do the same for you.

Thanks for the detailed response. Having the calendars in separate applications is very inconvinient. I hope Apple will do something here...

But in the meantime, I'm looking for an alternative solution. Perhaps MobileMe could be one, but paying that amount of money to share calendars is a little over the top...

Regards,
Claus

motherduce

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I second the vote for Spanning Sync. When they added Google Contact sync with Address Book, it became nearly perfect. No OTA push, but I sync 1-2 times a day anyways. I'm not paying $99 a year for MM. Apple should offer that for free.

MrGroove

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
iPhone & iPod Touch Google Sync Step by Step

Is there a way to sync my calendar (or export it) from Google Calendars, load it into iCal in OSX and then sync that to my iPod Touch calendar program?

Can someone lead me through it step by step?

iPhone & iPod Touch Google Sync Step by Step

Just note, Google Sync does not yet do EMAIL so you still need to use iMAP for that. Not a big deal really but it did throw me the 1st time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.