Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Hi

I have installed Fan Control 1.2 after getting concerned about my MBP temperature when running handbrake.

However, on reflection I think I would like to remove the programme and rely on the apple default settings. I have searched high and low to try and find a means of uninstalling this easily but have failed.

Any ideas welcome I am running Leopard 10.5.1

Thanks

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Thanks

Will this reset the fan speeds back to normal or do I need to reconfigure this?

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
mmm

I note your last comment, are you running Fan Control then and if so what do you have your Base Speed set at?

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
http://osx.iusethis.com/search?q=appdelete

Is a good way of removing everything. Also you need to stop the process from running using Activity Monitor (located in Applications/Utilities). Search for 'fan' or something and will most likely show you the correct process. Then run appdelete on the Fan Control application.

Hi

Slight issue I cant see the process in Activity Monitor. Assuming I could I take it I just stop process?

On the App remover I have found file fancontrol.prefpane, I assume this is what I drag and drop?

Thanks for all your help

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
mmm

I note your last comment, are you running Fan Control then and if so what do you have your Base Speed set at?

I run SMCfancontrol because I am on a C2D MBP. I strongly recommend this over Fan control.

My speeds are:

2000 RPM when on battery.
3500 when charging.
3000 when AC is plugged.

Makes it run 50-55 C all the time.

Hi

Slight issue I cant see the process in Activity Monitor. Assuming I could I take it I just stop process?

On the App remover I have found file fancontrol.prefpane, I assume this is what I drag and drop?

Thanks for all your help

I found this on their website:

Uninstall Instructions

Please follow these instructions to uninstall FanControl permanently:

1. Remove the following files and folders (both on your start disk):

/Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon
/Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane

(You will be prompted for the Administrator's password when deleting these items.)
2. Reboot
3. If you have a newer Mac model (i.e. with Core 2 Duo), use the utility smcFanControl http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/files/f7b52b971fc18dc506cc18a52bae5fdc-16. html to reset all settings to Apple's defaults.
4. Reboot again.

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I run SMCfancontrol because I am on a C2D MBP. I strongly recommend this over Fan control.

My speeds are:

2000 RPM when on battery.
3500 when charging.
3000 when AC is plugged.

Makes it run 50-55 C all the time.

I found this on their website:

Uninstall Instructions

Please follow these instructions to uninstall FanControl permanently:

1. Remove the following files and folders (both on your start disk):

/Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon
/Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane

(You will be prompted for the Administrator's password when deleting these items.)
2. Reboot
3. If you have a newer Mac model (i.e. with Core 2 Duo), use the utility smcFanControl http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/files/f7b52b971fc18dc506cc18a52bae5fdc-16. html to reset all settings to Apple's defaults.
4. Reboot again.

Hi again

I think I have found the problem.

There are 2 fan control products, fan control 1.2 at http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

and smcfancontrol which looks a better app. I have now deleted Fan Control and will try installing the SMC version.

Thanks

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
need to fully purge fancontrol?

I installed 'imac fan control' (similiar to 'fan control')

1. delete smcfancontrol (if you already have this installed.)
2. delete imac fan control' or 'fan control' as described, deleting the daemon + pref. pane in the library folder
3. restart. now empty the trash can (that couldn't be deleted because files were being used). restart again.
4. after a clean restart. once at the desktop, do a SMC reset. you'll hear a long beep that'll confirm.
5. do a PRAM reset as you boot up. do this atleast twice. For a total of 3 startup beeps.
6. confirm with istat widget that fans follows factory setting rpms.
7. download and install smcfancontrol
8. confirm with istat

my contribution to stress free, headache free fan control

bware189

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
I installed 'imac fan control' (similiar to 'fan control')

1. delete smcfancontrol (if you already have this installed.)
2. delete imac fan control' or 'fan control' as described, deleting the daemon + pref. pane in the library folder
3. restart. now empty the trash can (that couldn't be deleted because files were being used). restart again.
4. after a clean restart. once at the desktop, do a SMC reset. you'll hear a long beep that'll confirm.
5. do a PRAM reset as you boot up. do this atleast twice. For a total of 3 startup beeps.
6. confirm with istat widget that fans follows factory setting rpms.
7. download and install smcfancontrol
8. confirm with istat

my contribution to stress free, headache free fan control
Not to bring up an oldish thread, but this really helped. My battery charge, and health went back up to normal, and SMCfancontrol/iStat fan control work now. This is the only solution I've seen on the net after about 2 days of searching, so thanks muchly.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Not to bring up an oldish thread, but this really helped. My battery charge, and health went back up to normal, and SMCfancontrol/iStat fan control work now. This is the only solution I've seen on the net after about 2 days of searching, so thanks muchly.

This thread rally helped me today as well. :)

Now running on factory settings again. :D

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
I just thought I would install "Fan Control" to give it a try, and did not know I would have this much trouble uninstalling it.

I looked for the folders described here /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon and it dosent even exist.

And I looked here, /Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane for that and there is no file named this in the folder..

I am really freaking out right now.

I did a search in spotlight and found the preference pane but it just brings me to system preferences. When I do the search in finder I get nothing..

Does anyone have any suggestions?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I just thought I would install "Fan Control" to give it a try, and did not know I would have this much trouble uninstalling it.

I looked for the folders described here /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon and it dosent even exist.

And I looked here, /Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane for that and there is no file named this in the folder..

I am really freaking out right now.

I did a search in spotlight and found the preference pane but it just brings me to system preferences. When I do the search in finder I get nothing..

Does anyone have any suggestions?
You do know there are 2 libraries, don't you? One in the location listed above and the other in your home folder - the ~/Library - so check out these out too, as listed below.
Actually there is another Library in the System folder, but it is far better not to mess with that at all, you can render your Mac unbootable messing around in the System folder if you don't know what you are doing!
~/Library/StartupItems/
~/Library/PreferencePanes/
Also, getting Spotlight to look in the right place can be done, but I think it is just easier to download the freeware EasyFind application and use it to find anything (far right column of the search results window shows the location of the files searched for).
Good luck.

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
Oh!!! Thank you so much, especially for your speedy reply. I am very new to the Mac world, I jut got my Macbook Pro about 3 weeks ago and have been using Windows since I was small. I had no idea their were two /Library's.

Again, thanks. I was starting to panic.

Ramphex

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
USA/PA
For those who keep saying "factory settings"... what exactly do factory settings have to do with the smcfancontrol? It's not like it's forcing your fan to run at one speed at all times, it just sets the minimum speed it'll run at and if OS requires more ventilation, it'll up the speed

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
For those who keep saying "factory settings"... what exactly do factory settings have to do with the smcfancontrol? It's not like it's forcing your fan to run at one speed at all times, it just sets the minimum speed it'll run at and if OS requires more ventilation, it'll up the speed

you're right... but I think this thread refers to FanControl, which does modify the natural limits and threshold of the fan speeds.

klord123

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Help Again

Sorry to bring this up again, but i can't get rid of both files. I got rid of Fan Control.prefPane with app delete but can't get rid of the other file. Please help. I have mac book snow leopard 10.6.4

bogo

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
Finaly a working SNOW version on my MBP (2,2)

Sorry to bring this up again, but i can't get rid of both files. I got rid of Fan Control.prefPane with app delete but can't get rid of the other file. Please help. I have mac book snow leopard 10.6.4

You can find it on /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon. Click on you HD, or the partition you have your OS installed on and look for the folder called Library. Navigate there and trash the two files.
Now I must say I have tried to get rid of the effects of installing Fan Control for the past 8 hours or so and finally found a solution I am happy with. First I noticed it was not working correctly on my MBP with Snow on it. The fans were roaring even if the temperature was much lower than the lower threshold. So I have tried to remove it. Followed procedures described in this forum and other various places on the internet. I presume the application was removed, but even after reseting SMC the fans would start roaring at 6000rpm at almost no load. (CPU 97% IDLE!) So I thought about reinstalling SMC firmware. Did not find a way. Then I went to Lobomoto's website and in the forums I found someone mentioning about a modified version he has found on some german apple forums. Here is the link
http://www.lobotomo.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3
After spending some quality time with google translator I have figured the following steps to achieve a working version of fan control on my Snow Leopard MBP. By working I mean it really respects the parameters one sets to it, and the fans are at 2000 rpm now, when I am writing this. CPU temp 58 deg Celsius. The steps were the following.
1. Removed Completely the old version following the procedure listed in this thread. Its important to reset SMC after deleting those files and having emptied the thrash.
2. Downloaded the modified Snow version from:
http://rapidshare.com/files/349325407/Fan_Control_1.21_Beta_1.1.mpkg.zip
a working link found on that forum in german.
3. installed it. Tried to access it on System Preferences. A message about file ownership popped up.
4. Opened Terminal and typed: sudo chown-R 0:0 / Library / Startup Items / FanControlDaemon
This modified the ownership permissions for the FanControlDaemon, so it could start.
5. Restarted and listened in awe to the silent sound of fans at 2000 rpm I have been missing so much for the past 8 hours!:)

klord123

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
i went into the library folder and found the prefpan folder but was empty, i think i was because i deleted the .prepan file. do i also need to delete the prefpan folder?

I could not find the folder startupitems in library.

bogo

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
i went into the library folder and found the prefpan folder but was empty, i think i was because i deleted the .prepan file. do i also need to delete the prefpan folder?

I could not find the folder startupitems in library.

I could not find the folder startupitems in library.[/QUOTE]

1. Don't delete that folder. Only the file corresponding to fan control.
2. It is very strange you dont have the StartupItems folder.
Open a terminal window (from Application Utilities) then type the following
a) cd ../..
b) cd Library/StartupItems/
If indeed you don't have that folder it should tell you that its not found. Otherwise you have the folder and could proceed to remove that file from terminal. Assuming b) worked and you are now in Library/StartupItems type:
c) ls
You should see a list of files there. If FanControlDaemon is there proceed and type
d) sudo rm -r FanControlDaemon.*
This way you don't need to empty trash. Its wiped out. It will ask for your authentication, same way it would if you were to just drag them in the trash bin. Just make sure you don't make typos while in the terminal.

Or you could Reinstall Fan Control (the version you already had) and you should see that folder with finder. Again, don't search in the Library from your Home directory. Search in the library that you can access when you click in Finder on your Hard Drive Device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.