Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kimdura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
I spilled orange juice on my phone yesterday and for a while it was acting sporadically but now that it seems to have dried out, everything is working except the camera.

The camera wants to start, but when it is about to open the shutter, I get a message that says "There is not enough room to take additional pictures. Please delete some existing photos". The problem is that I have no pictures on my phone and I did a complete restore twice (once from back-up, the other as a "new" phone).

This seems like a software glitch (as the support folks at Apple suggested), but now it seems like more than that.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I just need to let it dry out more (it's been over 24 hours and seems pretty dried out at this point)?

I'm just looking for some suggestions here. The liquid scensor has gone off, so the genious bar is not an option anymore and my warranty is now voided.

Tips, suggestions, comments?

Thanks!

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
if you spilled liquid on it and left it on you might have fried a connection to the camera. ANY time an electronic gets wet you should power it down and dry it thoroughly.

I guess your best bet now is to power down and put it in a bag of rice overnight and pray.

Good luck.

Kimdura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah, the problem with that is that when it first happened my phone wouldn't turn off at all :(

It just kept looping showing the apple, then black screen, then apple, repeat. Even hard boot wouldn't stop the cycle (I think cause the power button was stuck).

So even if I wanted to turn it off right after I got it wet, I couldn't. Once it dried out enough to actually give me the option, I did turn it off and put a fan on it to help speed up the dry process.

I'm just bummed my camera is the only thing that hasn't managed to start working properly again :(

Thanks for the tip. Does the rice really help or is that just a myth?

sergiuria

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Near a bunch of T-Rex
Yeah, the problem with that is that when it first happened my phone wouldn't turn off at all :(

It just kept looping showing the apple, then black screen, then apple, repeat. Even hard boot wouldn't stop the cycle (I think cause the power button was stuck).

So even if I wanted to turn it off right after I got it wet, I couldn't. Once it dried out enough to actually give me the option, I did turn it off and put a fan on it to help speed up the dry process.

I'm just bummed my camera is the only thing that hasn't managed to start working properly again :(

It does help, absorbs the humidity out of the phone

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
My guess is the circuitry for the camera is failing and the software has no specific error handling for that situation. I think it's just saying, "I couldn't take a picture for some reason and the most common reason is that there is insufficient memory to do it. I'll let the user know that."

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
My guess is the circuitry for the camera is failing and the software has no specific error handling for that situation. I think it's just saying, "I couldn't take a picture for some reason and the most common reason is that there is insufficient memory to do it. I'll let the user know that."

I agree, I see it as the Hardware of the iPhone is saying "I can't take pictures" and the software is interpreting that message as "There's not enough memory".
Guess your screwed...

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York

Ok that's exactly what my iPhone did when I got it wet (halloween!), I couldnt turn it off right way once I did i set it in rice fully submerged.

Do that because my camera was filled with condensation when I looked and the rice took it away. SHould help you hopefully.

Good luck i hope your phones alright! I know how it feels thinking your out 500 bucks.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
3G Not working...

I know my iPhone, I consider myself smarter than most call center guys I've called, I had to explain what Face Time was to some of them and they told me that my video call service is not activated.

2 Weeks ago I forgot to pay my phone bill and my carrier left my data cap the same and I supposed that that was the reason 3G wasn't working. It appears on, edge too but It doesn't work.
Now I paid my bill and It still doesn't work, in the meantime I spilled some water on my Phone but just a few seconds and I let it dry in Rice a few days, everything works. Is it possible that the water damage screwed up JUST the data/3G antennas but not the calls one or is it just one antenna for everything?

I already restored it, changed the APN Settings and it's not working.
I don't want to take it in so they fix it because I'm going to travel overseas in a few days and usually trading it in takes like 2 weeks, I also have carrier insurance against these things but I just don't have the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.