Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
London
Hi,

I have installed Boxee and XBMC with the help of the ATV USB Creator, in the process I also enabled SSH.

After doing this, I guessed it would be fairly easy to install some plug-ins. (CouchSurfer, ATV Files etc...)

Anyway, I have the instructions to install CouchSurfer, but don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Through CyberDuck, I uploaded the whole CouchSurfer folder to the /Users directory.

I can access ATV via SSH in Terminal, then I write the command /Users/couchsurfer-0.4-2.2-installer, then I do sudo ./install couch surfer, and it says 'Directory not found/does not exist (Or something like that)

What am I doing wrong?

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Where did you get your original instructions from ?
Did you unzip the installer package ?

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
London
Yep - I unzipped the file...
Here are the instructions provided:

To install it, you will need to copy this folder to your AppleTV. You can copy it to the home folder of the 'frontrow' user if you wish, although its location doesn't really matter.

Done that - put it into /Users/frontrow

Next, you need to open an SSH connection to your AppleTV, like so:

ssh -1 frontrow@<your_appletv_address>

When prompted for a password, enter 'frontrow'.

Done that

Now go to the directory where you placed this folder on your AppleTV and type the following command:

At this point I type in the directory, then do the following command

sudo ./installcouchsurfer

Done

When prompted for a password, enter 'frontrow' again.

Done, then I get this message "command not found"

Picture%201.png

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
so you copied the folder 'couchsurfer-0.4-2.2-installer' to the apple tv into the /users/frontrow/ directory.

You then need to cd into the couchsurfer-0.4-2.2-installer directory when connected to the appletv e.g

cd /users/frontrow/couchsurfer-0.4-2.2-installer/

then make the installer exectuable (just in case)

chmod +x installcouchsurfer

then run the installer

altoidboy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2003
please help. i'm trying to do the same, but when i go to terminal and type

Code:
ssh -1 frontrow@appletv.local

i get the message

Code:
Protocol major versions differ: 1 vs 2

what do i do? this is the latest version of couchsurfer (0.4(2.2)) and i'm trying to install it on aTV 2.2 (which already has boxee/xbmc on it via the easy patchstick method).

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
London
To SSH into the Apple TV, if you have enabled SSH via the ATV-USB Creator, is to go into terminal and type:

ssh frontrow@appletv.local

You will be asked for a password, type the following:

frontrow

When typing in the password, no letters will appear, but press enter afterwards and you should be logged-in.

Then find where you put the CouchSurfer file. Then...

(I placed the CouchSurfer file in Users/Frontrow/)

so you copied the folder 'couchsurfer-0.4-2.2-installer' to the apple tv into the /users/frontrow/ directory.

You then need to cd into the couchsurfer-0.4-2.2-installer directory when connected to the appletv e.g

cd /users/frontrow/couchsurfer-0.4-2.2-installer/

then make the installer exectuable (just in case)

chmod +x installcouchsurfer

then run the installer

Hope this helps!

altoidboy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2003
please help. i'm trying to do the same, but when i go to terminal and type

Code:
ssh -1 frontrow@appletv.local

i get the message

Code:
Protocol major versions differ: 1 vs 2

what do i do? this is the latest version of couchsurfer (0.4(2.2)) and i'm trying to install it on aTV 2.2 (which already has boxee/xbmc on it via the easy patchstick method).

never mind -- i quit, relaunched terminal, and tried it again, and lo and behold, this time it worked! very weird. i now have couchsurfer running happily on atv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.