Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Be3G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Hi all,

Just got my new (late 2008) MacBook Pro yesterday, but am concerned that I might've found a problem with it. In my previous MacBook Pro (mid-2007 model), I used a Griffin card reader in the ExpressCard slot, and it worked perfectly. However, today I tried putting that card reader in to my new MBP, and it completely fails to recognise it; it doesn't even appear under the USB bus in system profiler. This then of course means that if I insert a memory card nothing happens. I've tried rebooting, inserting the reader while the laptop's off, inserting the reader + memoy card while the laptop's off, and various other combinations, but nothing seems to work. Problem is, it's my only ExpressCard, so I've no idea if it's a strange incompatibility between the card and the laptop or, in fact, a faulty ExpressCard slot.

So I'd like to ask: has anyone tried the Griffin card reader in their ExpressCard slot (and if so how did it work), and has anyone else had problems getting any kind of ExpressCard to work in the new MBP, where the card used to work in a previous laptop?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Be3G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Anyone? :( I'm trying to ascertain if I need to get Apple to replace the laptop... preferably without going to a genius bar as my nearest Apple Store is, well, not very near.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
I use both the card reader and eSATA card with no problem except that the eSATA card causes Kernel panics constantly and does not play well with Intego VirusBarrier X5.

Be3G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Hmm, thanks for that... sounds like my laptop really might have a problem then. :(

Be3G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
I could, but I don't fancy wasting money on something I shouldn't need to buy (I'm a student so I like to save my pennies where possible). Getting an exchange is looking increasingly like the most viable option now tbh.

Be3G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Just in case it's useful to anyone with a similar problem who comes across this thread, I asked Apple to send me a replacement laptop which I received today, and the Griffin SD reader ExpressCard works perfectly in it. How Apple managed to ship a laptop with a completely inoperational ExpressCard slot I do not know, but they did.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Just in case it's useful to anyone with a similar problem who comes across this thread, I asked Apple to send me a replacement laptop which I received today, and the Griffin SD reader ExpressCard works perfectly in it. How Apple managed to ship a laptop with a completely inoperational ExpressCard slot I do not know, but they did.

did u buy ur laptop online or from the applestore?

nathangrubbs

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2006
i also have a late 2008 2.8 MBP with which my verbatim expresscard CF reader will not work. at first when i plugged it in, i got an error message with something about the USB power being too much or something like that. now when i plug it in, i get no error, but the card never mounts. i do see that the expresscard slot has something plugged in, but the CF card doesn't ever show up..... weird. i have only tried one CF card, so it may be the card, but it worked just fine with my other MBP. so.... ?

TAGF1

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
Same problem here! I have a brand new MacBook Pro Unibody, 2.8 all loaded up. The ExpressCard reader worked perfectly for a few days now. But as soon as I tried to insert another memory card, first one worked well, the card reader seemed to fail. The System Profiler does show the reader, but it will not mount any card now, including the original one that worked! I rebooted the machine without the cards and with the cards to avail. And each time it rebooted it took roughly 10 minutes to come back to fully online. Everything else seems to be running fine. Can anybody help? Do I have to send this unit back and get a replacement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.