Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rasmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Hi.

For some reason, I suddenly can no longer turn on the lights in my keyboard using the F6 button on my new MBP?

I have tried turning it off and back on, and also tried turning on the "Illuminate keyboard in low-light conditions" (or whatever it's called).

Hope you can help! :S

Thanks.

Rasmus

Rasmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Eh, something else has changed. There used to be a software error, in the sense that usually when I try to activate the "use the F-keys as as normal functions" (something like that) it doesn't change anything. But now all of a sudden, the function works again? Now I can assign the F5 button to Spaces etc., which wouldn't work a week ago.

Rasmoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Okay, the error randomly comes and goes. It works fine at the moment. Has anybody exsperienced the same?

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Are you in a bright room?

You can't activate the keyboard lighting if you're in a bright room. Even manually.

blurfonz

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Please note that if you are in a well lit room, you cannot activate the backlights. When I first got it I thought I got a bad set! :)

CobraMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2004
The light sensor is located just towards the left of the webcam. Place your finger on it and your keyboard should light up -- just for the sake of testing it.

cancermonkey68

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
nyc
i mean seriously...

Please note that if you are in a well lit room, you cannot activate the backlights. When I first got it I thought I got a bad set! :)

why can't you light it when YOU wan to light it? can't i make my own decisions???

so LAME!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
macbook pro - 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram, 7200rpm HD (till an affordable 500 GB ssd is available), glossy screen (like you have a choice?)

http://www.prmit.net

Chim3ra

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2008
i know this thread's all done, but thx for helping out!!! it really answered some questions!!

and personally, i think the sensor thing is a really awesome idea!

cancermonkey68

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
nyc
from apple/support/discussions...

Re: Backlight Keyboard won't let me turn it on.
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 3:34 PM

That is how it is supposed to be. When we program the ambient light sensor next to the camera, we put in Mac OS X to disable the keyboard completely unless the threshold of darkness is met.

It is completely normal and how it is supposed to work.

If you would like to be able to turn on the backlight in bright conditions, there are many free 3rd party applications to do that.

Just be aware that you should download a reputable one because some have damaged the keyboard / light sensor system.

~ Harris

anyone know of any "3rd part apps" out there, aside from "lab tick"?

http://labtick.proculo.de/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.