Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soni2926

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
hi,
i'd like to create an itunes account, without using my cc, looks like i can do it also using a gift card. if i buy a gift card, will i be able to also buy apps for my iphone or just music? i'm in the US.

thanks.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
hi,
i'd like to create an itunes account, without using my cc, looks like i can do it also using a gift card. if i buy a gift card, will i be able to also buy apps for my iphone or just music? i'm in the US.

thanks.

in the US, yes you can use gift card/iTunes account balance to buy apps.

but it varies depdending on country http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/
e.g. unfortunately in Canada, apps can only be bought with credit card. :mad:

hazza.jockel

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
in a swag
I don't have a cc so thank god u can buy apps with a gift card. I think it's stupid you can't create an account with out signing up for some kind of payment method (cc or gift card). What if someone just wants free apps?

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I seriously suggest you use the Live Cashback method to purchase a $200 gift card on iTunes for ~70 and ~50 USD after cash back.

I don't mean to promote, but I summed it up on my blog:
Here

There is also a long thread in here somewhere. I bought one yesterday from brandee2. I got the code immediately, followed instructions, and it was credited immediately.
Listings for brandee2. These are USA codes.

I hope this gives you some information. Note: I have no affiliation with brandee2.

P.S. You don't need a credit card; Sign up for Paypal with your bank account if you have one.

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
Yes, definitely buy the cards from eBay at a significant discount. I just got a $200 gift card for $75 plus Live Search cash back for additional ~$18 something off.

PCgamer9

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
I don't have a cc so thank god u can buy apps with a gift card. I think it's stupid you can't create an account with out signing up for some kind of payment method (cc or gift card). What if someone just wants free apps?

actually i made an itunes account without using a cc or giftcard, you just go to the app store and find a free app, (probably facebook, its the most common) and click on the install button, then when it asks you to log in, there is an option to "creat a new account", then fill in all the info and where it says payment method there is an option for none (because its a free app) then you have your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.