Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris Welch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
New York
Hello, I'm wondering if there's any way to get the artwork iTunes uses for TV shows for programs that I manually convert and ad to my library. Does anyone know of a method? Thanks!

And no... "Get Album Artwork" does not work.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Same way as anything else in iTunes. Get the cover art from Amazon or somewhere else, and go to the artwork tab or box (depending on whether you are adding to one or a group of files) by right-clicking or control-clicking and hitting "Get Info" (or hitting command+shift+i) and then paste in the cover art.

Spyharpy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2003
Bay Area, CA
For movies that I have, I just play it in Quicktime to the scene I want, pause it, copy and paste into the artwork tab for the movie clip in iTunes. Done.

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
try MetaX, its an mp4 tagging app. Theres an option to use a frame from the video as the artwork, so If you know what scene/number of seconds in that itunes uses you could get it from this.

krissvl

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
Can you tag .avi/.divx etc?

i use a reference files to get around this anyone know how i can get artwork tagged to these rather than just mp4 files?

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Resurrecting this: iTunes treats album art for TV "series" a little differently.. for instance, I have a purchased episode of FRIENDS in my library, but the rest are ripped from my DVDs... the artwork from the purchased one is the "FRIENDS" tv series artwork in the main "TV Shows" menu, but all of the individual episodes have the automatic album artwork that iTunes generates. Does anyone know how to get this TV series-wide artwork to show up in the menu for when you're flipping through the varies TV series that are on there?

Polska

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
Still looking for the iTunes TV Shows Artwork!

Resurrecting this: iTunes treats album art for TV "series" a little differently.. for instance, I have a purchased episode of FRIENDS in my library, but the rest are ripped from my DVDs... the artwork from the purchased one is the "FRIENDS" tv series artwork in the main "TV Shows" menu, but all of the individual episodes have the automatic album artwork that iTunes generates. Does anyone know how to get this TV series-wide artwork to show up in the menu for when you're flipping through the varies TV series that are on there?

I completely understand what you're saying. Did you figure out a way? I know I could get the cover from the DVDs at Amazon.com or even download some Posters from Impawards.com but than it would be not in the iTunes Stores' albuns artwork format (nice, square and matching all my other series that I bought from there).

If you manage to have this done correctly, please let me know! :)

Erick Pessôa

TrustAvidity

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
I'm not sure if you have a Print Screen function, but with iTunes in Windows, I click on the album art to see it much larger, hit the Print Screen key, paste it into Paint, trim the picture to just the cover art, and paste that in for the art for the rest. Maybe you can find a way to do the same.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
^ print screen = command-shift-3. but this is a poor way to do it.

go to http://getvideoartwork.com/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=29 and download the artwork and then paste it into the Artwork tab in the Get Info tab of the TV Show.

i use a reference files to get around this anyone know how i can get artwork tagged to these rather than just mp4 files?

you can use your own artwork for reference file movies an TV shows in the latest versions of iTunes (i think the latest version of 7 and 8).

tmneff

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
One thing I have noticed is that at least on Leopard, iTunes uses the artwork from the first episode in the show directory as its artwork for the show overall, in the various library display formats. Changing the first episode's artwork changes the show artwork - but you have to reload iTunes to see the new show artwork.

soccerman7410

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Hey

if you right click the tv show in itunes and select get info, you can copy and paste the art work into multiple other shows. so once you have purchased one tv show of a season from itunes, you can then apply the art to all the other episodes.

now if we could only get the artwork online
this old post has some
LETS TRY AND GET IT STARTED AGAIN PLEASE PEOPLE

sand0s

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Man... I just typed up a fairly nice step by step for this and got shut down by the "hey you already were logged in but you should log in again and lose your long wordy post" bridge... So here are the basics of pulling this off basically perfectly.

Find the actual iTunes store page for your content (movie or TV Show).

Right click on the image you want and select copy link.

Open your browser (Safari in my case) and paste in your copied link and go

It will take you back to the iTunes store page you just came from, but that's OK

Go back to your browser and notice that the artwork you're looking for in right there on the page

Right click on the image and copy it

Go to your ripped content and select whatever you want to have this particular artwork, go to get info and paste your copied image into the artwork space

Tada... "Official" artwork for your ripped/backed-up video content.

Sorry for bumping a two year old post, but I know since I was searching for it now, someone will again, and this can be helpful

Cheers!

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Man... I just typed up a fairly nice step by step for this and got shut down by the "hey you already were logged in but you should log in again and lose your long wordy post" bridge... So here are the basics of pulling this off basically perfectly.

It will take you back to the iTunes store page you just came from, but that's OK

Go back to your browser and notice that the artwork you're looking for in right there on the page

Go to your ripped content and select whatever you want to have this particular artwork, go to get info and paste your copied image into the artwork space

Sorry for bumping a two year old post, but I know since I was searching for it now, someone will again, and this can be helpful

Cheers!
Using that method you get a low resolution picture though.

A good website to get nice looking artwork would be: http://getvideoartwork.com/

RealScience

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
To get a high-res version of the picture from iTunes, just add a couple of steps as outlined below.

Right-click and open the small artwork image in new window. The URL of this image will be something like this:

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/049/Video/54/57/3d/mzl.jsrarsec.227x227-75.jpg

Just delete the dimensions and the number after the dash, plus the extra dot, in this case "227x227-75." The full resolution image will be:

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/049/Video/54/57/3d/mzl.jsrarsec.jpg

Load the image and follow the rest of the instructions below.

Cheers!

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Command-Shift-4

:D:D

haha, in before me... if you can't find it, use a screen capture via command-shift-4, and use the mouse cursor to create a box. However, I'm not sure if this will get you the desired resolution.

EDIT: Nevermind, it appears there is a legit way to get the artwork. I didn't even know that... that's awesome!

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
To get a high-res version of the picture from iTunes, just add a couple of steps as outlined below.

Right-click and open the small artwork image in new window. The URL of this image will be something like this:

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/049/Video/54/57/3d/mzl.jsrarsec.227x227-75.jpg

Just delete the dimensions and the number after the dash, plus the extra dot, in this case "227x227-75." The full resolution image will be:

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/049/Video/54/57/3d/mzl.jsrarsec.jpg

Load the image and follow the rest of the instructions below.

Thank You so much for that!

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.