Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I prefer to have my contacts picture small like in the ads so when they call the picture doesn't take up the whole screen. But it seems the only way to accomplish this is by adding the picture to a contact on your computer then syncing your contacts to the phone. This I think is pretty lame. I wish there was a way to have the photos that are already on your phone sized this way when adding them to a contact.

It is deceiving because in the the Mobile Me tutorial the guy adds a photo to a contact and when she calls it shows the small picture.

Another thing in the Mobile Me tutorial is that he gets an email to a restaurant and it is a link that takes him to google maps. If it were a hyper link or something I'm sure it would have taken him to the google website. How is that done? Is it just something they did to show off google maps?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Another thing in the Mobile Me tutorial is that he gets an email to a restaurant and it is a link that takes him to google maps. If it were a hyper link or something I'm sure it would have taken him to the google website. How is that done?

When you click a google-maps link on the iPhone it takes you to the maps app. How is it done? The computer knows it's a google maps link.

It's the same thing with YouTube. Links to YouTube videos take you to the YouTube app.

But it seems the only way to accomplish this is by adding the picture to a contact on your computer then syncing your contacts to the phone. This I think is pretty lame.

This is how I've always done it. Seems far easier (to me) to do it right where I have all my photos (and where I can search them by name), rather than copying them all to the iPhone and sliding through them with my finger forever looking for the right one.

I know that doesn't answer your question. The answer is, that's just the way it works. Do it on the computer if you want the small pictures. (Although I can't figure out WHY the photo sizes are different either...makes no sense.)

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
This is how I've always done it. Seems far easier (to me) to do it right where I have all my photos (and where I can search them by name), rather than copying them all to the iPhone and sliding through them with my finger forever looking for the right one.

I know that doesn't answer your question. The answer is, that's just the way it works. Do it on the computer if you want the small pictures. (Although I can't figure out WHY the photo sizes are different either...makes no sense.)

Yeah I have no problem doing that it would just be nice to do it for pictures you've taken with the iPhone. Meaning I don't have pics of all my friends/family and snapping a quick pic for their contact would be nice.

Thanks,

darhorn

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
whats annoying is i CANNOT get a small picture :)

added some pictures to some contacts in ichat/address book, synced the contacts, and they appear large on the screen.

these were icon (icns) files, so the image is a large square when a person calls. there has to be some sort of size setting for an image in order for it to appear correctly.

D

update: by changing the contact pics to 48x48, they appear small on the iphone.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I size my pictures to 240 x 240 and they appear as small icons on the phone screen when making a call.

In the manual, it states that if they are "low resolution" they will appear as a small thumnail of the photo instead of taking up the whole screen.

BTW, I add my photos using MobileMe.

darhorn

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
will try that size.... i know 48x48 works, but wanted to get it a bit better

hard to say exactly WHAT resolution is "low resolution" :)

RubioCTEM

macrumors newbie
Ok, I have the opposite problem. I want the contacts to take up my whole screen when I get a call instead of the small little picture. Call me crazy, but I think it's cool.

So does anyone know how to size the picture in address book to get it to appear BIG when someone calls you on the phone?

thanks,
Will

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Ok, I have the opposite problem. I want the contacts to take up my whole screen when I get a call instead of the small little picture. Call me crazy, but I think it's cool.

So does anyone know how to size the picture in address book to get it to appear BIG when someone calls you on the phone?

thanks,
Will

Make sure your photo has a resolution higher than that of the iPhone's display and you photo should go full screen (larger than 480x320).

MrsHollins

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
You can take a screen shot in your photos app of the thumbnail pic and reassign it to the same contact and it will be bigger. Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.