Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i know it said dont use a generic title but i just dont know how to explain my problem. sorry. :(

i have a 24 inch iMac 2.8GHz. i got it in september. i noticed the screen looks weird. i can't describe how it looks. :// you can't notice it on a white background. you can really notice it on gray and on blue. at first i thought the screen was just dirty but i tried cleaning it and it was still there. it kind of looks like when you touch a LCD screen. you know how it looks? it looks like that but its stuck there. i tried taking a picture but you can't really see it on a picture. ill try taking pictures and post them here.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Unfortunately LCDs aren't always 100% homogenous - and it can be plainly obviously on a dimmer solid color spanning the screen. My 24" imac (white) has this effect which can be seen on a solid light blue or light grey screen. (almost like gradual "ripples" from top to bottom)

Another *possible* thing you're seeing are artifacts being left on the screen due to polarization of the LCD. (its NOT burn-in) Displaying a static image for a period of time (say an open browser window) will leave an artifact (almost like a very lightly embossed version of the window) - that can last for a little while. (usually shutting down the computer, or just changing the screen image will remedy it).

Edit: Wearing polarized eyewear can also cause some REALLLLY weird effects with your LCD. If this is not your problem, I'd suggest grabbing a pair and looking at it anyhow. I use my LCD with polarized shades as a ghetto interferometer to inspect suspect optical assemblies.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
thanks for the reply. ok i just checked and it is artifacts. the shapes of that matches my wallpaper. when i use browsers i dont fill up the entire screen and my wallpaper is showing the entire time. so how long does the computer have to be off? i do use the computer a lot from like 7pm to 2am. when i dont use it its always off. how long does the computer have to be off so the artifacts go away?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
No it does not have to be shut off, but they tend to go away a little faster if it's powered down. (not fast enough to justify shutting down for me)

It's normal for LCDs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

One thing - running a screen saver like Flurry seems to change things around pretty quickly. (I have mine running as the desktop via desksaver plus, just because it creates a nice ambience)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.