Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JNRidgway15

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Australia
Just got an email from the Parallels team offering Parallels 4 upgrade downloading now post pics after I have installed it.

Hello, Joshua Ridgway

Thank you for purchasing Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac - the leading solution to run Windows on a Mac.

We are happy to announce that Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac is now available. Easy, fast and powerful Windows on Mac computing just got even better! Learn more about Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac’s 50+ new features and enhancements.

Because you purchased Parallels Desktop 3.0 after September 1, 2008, you qualify for the FREE upgrade grace period program!
Your Upgrade Keys:

Keys

We welcome you to download Parallels Desktop 4.0 and install it on your Mac.

Please, provide this key to program after the installation.
Note: If you’re doing a fresh installation of Parallels Desktop 4.0 on a Mac then you’ll need an activation key from version 3.0.

If you have any questions about upgrading, please visit our upgrade FAQ page.

Thank you for choosing Parallels Desktop for Mac – the leading solution to run Windows on a Mac!

The Parallels Team

JNRidgway15

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Australia
They must of sent the email by mistake its just a new build not version 4:(

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 183

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
ars claim it's released and a whole heap faster. Note this is not a free upgrade unless you purchased recently...

booo.. ars say that
The normal retail price will remain the same at $79.99, but existing users of Parallels Desktop 3.0 can upgrade for 50 percent off until the end of November. If you purchased Desktop 3.0 after September 1, you get a free upgrade. Lucky lucky.

i upgraded mine in feb 2008!! so will have to pay to upgrade..

JNRidgway15

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Australia
Buggerd if I can find the right download link as the only one I can see is for 3.0 build 5626 November 5th and it has all the 3.0 badging:rolleyes:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Buggerd if I can find the right download link as the only one I can see is for 3.0 build 5626 November 5th and it has all the 3.0 badging:rolleyes:

Looks like the NDA/timeframe for the news release passed (as I got similar news on multiple RSS feeds), but the Parallels guys forgot to update their website :eek:

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Parallels 4.0 Promises Significant Performance Improvements

Parallels has announced the immediate availability of Parallels 4.0. Parallels allows Intel-Mac users to run Windows alongside Mac OS X.

The latest update to their Windows-virtualization software for Intel Macs promises new performance, security, backup and power saving features. Performance is said to be "up to 50% faster".
Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac introduces support for DirectX 9, DirectX Pixel Shader 2.0 and OpenGL 2.0, providing fast video performance, while the Adaptive Hypervisor dynamically allocates resources to meet user needs. The responsiveness to all applications is further enhanced as the virtualization engine has been optimized to consume 15-30% less resources than previous versions.
This release also finally introduces support for up to 8 way symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) to take advantage of the multi-core CPUs found in all Macs. Other features include:
- Improved Windows and Mac integration, True Drag & Drop and Copy & Paste, SmartX Technologies and Built-in Installation and Migration Tools.
- Adaptive Hypervisor, FastLane Architecture, up to 8 way SMP and 8 GB RAM plus 64-bit support for each VM, HyperBus and support for DirectX 9.0, DirectX Pixel Shader 2.0, and OpenGL 2.0.
- Parallels Internet Security powered by Kaspersky, Acronis True Image Home backup and restore, SmartGuard, PowerSaver, Full-hardware ACPI support and Acronis Disk Director Suite disk management.
- eMac OS X Leopard Server and Windows Server OS support, VM Directory, CLI and Scripting support, SDK and API, remote control from iPhone, PXE Boot, improved networking and VM Templates.
Version 4.0 retails for $79.99 and is available as a paid $39.99 upgrade to existing Parallels customers. A free trial is also available.

Update: Parallels is offering a $5 coupon through our affiliate partner.

Article Link: Parallels 4.0 Promises Significant Performance Improvements

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yea, I've used trials for both Fusion and Parallels. The latest builds, other than 4.0 for Parallels. Couldn't bring myself to buy them. I'll wait until other people have tested it and then I will buy either.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
:( I'm voting negative on this thread...

...because I just bought VmWare a few days ago. And even if VmWare releases a new edition that competes with the new version of Parallels, I'll have to pay to upgrade to that one.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
wow, this seems like a huge update. i might have to buy this version, instead of just using the trials. glad that it's out today also. i wonder if it's in stores?

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
:( I'm voting negative on this thread...

...because I just bought VmWare a few days ago. And even if VmWare releases a new edition that competes with the new version of Parallels, I'll have to pay to upgrade to that one.

So? you'd have to buy parallels outright anyway. :rolleyes:

Ferroque

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
I'm picking this up immediately. Fusion always has, and apparently always will be crap. Every revision has the same problems. At least Parallels is generally stable, and it's Coherence feature makes Fusion's Unity look like some kind of alpha phase concept.

It's too bad because I've used VMware for years and don't mind the enterprise product line, but having used both (Parallels & Fusion all versions) for several months side by side for work, Parallels owns, even if Fusion was more efficient, Parallels is just more stable and far less buggy. I'm very curious to see how this new version fares out running 4+ VMs at once let alone this video acceleration.

gruler

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Parallels ROCKS!!!

I have used Parallels for about 18 months and it has been a great purchase. The only problems that I experience was occasional performance degradation.
I will definitely be upgrading. I have not used any other VM products and can't speak to games under parallels. But for my needs I highly recommend Parallels.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Won't give those thieves any of my money ever again.

I bought Parallel's 2.0 and was told (and advertised on their website) that Parallel's 3.0 was going to be a free upgrade. Was it heck. They are doing the same with version 4.0.

I was so annoyed about loosing out on Parallel's 3.0 that I got it by other means. I already paid for it, they falsely advertised.

50% performance boost does sound nice however, but where does this boost come from? Optimisation of Parallel's code or making OS X sluggish and Parallel's fast?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.