Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hi All

Should i be able to view movies through a shared library stored on a NAS?

Cheers Phil

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
I have no problem view movies from any shared library. Takes a few seconds to start but other than that no problems!

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Anyone using a Buffalo NAS as a shared library with movies?
I still can't see how to get this working?

Any ideas anyone??

I contacted Buffalo, they suggested it was an itunes problem and I should contact Apple......

Thanks Phil

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
I have movies on my Buffalo NAS which is running a DNLA server.
I was hoping that I could share the library on the network for my son to view movies on his PC.

The drive shows as a shared library but only shows music files, you cannot see any of the movie files and i can't see any settings on the NAS or itunes which would affect the types of files displayed.

cheers phil

Gringcorp

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Hallo, newbie on this forum. Sounds like you're asking whether you can view movies on iTunes/AppleTV.

I once asked Seagate, which owns Maxtor why my Maxtor Shared Storage device would not show video. They explained to me that this is not a limitation of the device, but of how Apple has implemented DLNA on iTunes. My suspicion is that this was one of several conditions of iTunes selling Hollywood's content, but I don't know for sure. I suspect that the PC would have a couple of very fine bits of client software for DLNA, but iTunes isn't one of them. The AppleTV won't even stream music from an NAS

If you weren't referring to using iTunes, then I'm not sure what might be going wrong. I think you can use a player like VLC to open a particular file location, and that could be elsewhere on the network, but it's a little less convenient than using iTunes. My apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
I'm trying to allow any PC/MAC on my network to view movies which are stored on a Buffalo NAS via its shared library running a DNLA server.

Music files are visible but not movies.

Regards Phil

Gringcorp

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Short and not very satisfying answer: You can't view movie files on a DNLA-running NAS device through iTunes.

It's very annoying if, like me, you dropped a couple of hundred on an NAS. But that's the way that Apple wants it.

From what I can tell, the preferred solution is to buy a very cheap PC with a great deal of memory, keep it on the whole time, and serve its content to an AppleTV or iTunes.

Or, and this might work, and I'm guessing you followed this thread at iLounge, you might be able to make your NAS the default music library for each computer's copy of iTunes in your house. As well as being a little tricksy, it also runs the risk of corrupting your iTunes library.

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=178787

Sorry to be so bleak.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Thanks for the info, I think I will just add the movies he want to view to his itunes library which are stored on the NAS.

I was hoping he would be able to view all the content but it seems not, unless i leave my MAC on all the time, in which case he can see all my content.

Seems a strange thing for apple to do...........

Thanks Phil

Gringcorp

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
There may be an alternative. I've been exploring Boxee the last few days. You can install it yer Mac or AppleTV (not PC, yet), and it seems to be fairly good at hunting down your network content as well as other stuff on the internet and presenting it for your viewing pleasure. It's very much in alpha right now, and I have no idea whether it works with an NAS, and I'm going to have to hack my AppleTV to get it to work, but it might do what you need.

unknowng

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
I store all of my files on a NAS as well, but didn't want my main computer on all the time since it sucks through power like a 3 dollar whore. Anyway, I picked up a MSI wind PC from newegg. All you need is to add ram and a harddrive and for less than 200, you can have a small iTunes server. The great thing is even at 100% this thing only uses about 45 watts. I use VNC to control it when I need to, but it usually just sits there and streams all my content. I don't even have anything on the hardrive of my appleTV. Just a thought, but it's really worked well for me.

Greg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.