Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
I suppose technically you could; Objective-C is a "strict superset" of C, meaning that any C you write will compile quite happily.

However, by doing so you're basically shooting yourself in the foot. For the most part it's a very simple addition, and if you know C already then you'll have no trouble. Also, in order to have access to the SDK libraries (i.e. to actually do anything) you're going to need to use Objective-C.

Here's a very nice (and short) primer on Objective-C: http://www.cocoadevcentral.com/d/learn_objectivec/

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
OK then, well I am learning C now simply because it will allow me to do a lot. After learning it I will read the Objective-C one, if its really that simple theres no problem.

Success and riches here I come :p

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
...Or is it only Objective-C?

Objective-C is a wrapper (translator and object runtime) around C. You can write most of an app in plain C, but can only interface with the iPhone UI using Cocoa, which can only be called using Obj-C. In the general case, you can't get any user input except that which is sent to an Obj-C object, and can't do any display drawing except when an Obj-C object is called. The rest of the app can be written in C if you want.

I have some apps which are almost all C, except for a few files which do the Cocoa UI glue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.