Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
I got told there a must have if you record and preform live on stage

Using ableton ect and mixers

Can somebody help.

Is the old macbook pro better for music than the new one?

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
It all depends but keep in mind Apple still sells one model of the MacBook that has FireWire in it. Its just not aluminum but who cares, its the functionality thats important.

Lots of devices use USB 2.0 for recording although I prefer FireWire myself. If its MIDI syching you're fine with any model.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
It all depends but keep in mind Apple still sells one model of the MacBook that has FireWire in it. Its just not aluminum but who cares, its the functionality thats important.

Lots of devices use USB 2.0 for recording although I prefer FireWire myself. If its MIDI syching you're fine with any model.

Cheers man

Yeah i was thinking maybe i should try and get the MBP 17''

Just the cash wow!

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
Cheers man

Yeah i was thinking maybe i should try and get the MBP 17''

Just the cash wow!

Maybe consider the bass model 2.4 MBP then, its more than ample firepower for recording music. The white plastic MB is still in production, alot cheaper and does the trick as well. Thats your best bang for your buck and is the only notebook still to have FW 400 however you'd have to live w/ a smaller screen.

Decisions, decisions...

timseley

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2008
kansas city, ks
I would think if you're using ableton in a live setting then latency would be a big concern. My understanding was the USB interfaces tend to have more latency problems, but I could be wrong. My only experience with USB equipment have been the mbox and mbox 2 and they were both pretty latent for live monitoring. We've been using a little tascam fireone for our ableton setup and it works ok, but its only got two ins and two outs, so depending on what all you'll be using ableton for you might think about that as well.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
If you are only going to have a stereo pair input, USB2.0 is fine.

If you are looking to record something like 8+ tracks at once, you'll want firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.