Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAodh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Dublin, Eire
Hi all,
I'm getting a bit sick of others using my computer and closing my tabs etc so I was going set up a guest account for others. My problem is though that I want them to be able to use my computer whenever they want. Is there a way I can get my computer to show the login screen after I've put the computer to sleep/closed the lid? I can get the password pane to come up but not the login screen.

cheers

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Hi all,
I'm getting a bit sick of others using my computer and closing my tabs etc so I was going set up a guest account for others. My problem is though that I want them to be able to use my computer whenever they want. Is there a way I can get my computer to show the login screen after I've put the computer to sleep/closed the lid? I can get the password pane to come up but not the login screen.

cheers

system settings > security

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I don't think this is possible. The closest you'll be able to get is to check the "Log out after XX minutes of inactivity" in the Security/General preference pane. If you time this right, this should do what you need since anyone who goes to the computer will see the log-in screen first and can choose the guest account you set up...

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
enable Fast User Switching in Account preferences and add the icon to your menu bar. then all you need to do is click "Login Window…" and it will suspend your account.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
Yea but I wanted to stay logged in too... A well, finally something windows do better :p
You could enable fast user switching and just remember to go into the menu and set it to go to the log in screen before you put your computer to sleep. It's not automatic, but it will keep you logged in while allowing others to access the guest account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.