Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
Have any of you ever worked at McDonalds? How much do they pay cashiers, burger assemblers, microwavers, etc.? I'm curious because it looks like a very stressful job - getting yelled at by homeless people and coffee freaks, and having people look down on you. They probaby deserve more than they receive (even though they mess up my order half the time).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Have any of you ever worked at McDonalds? How much do they pay cashiers, burger assemblers, microwavers, etc.? I'm curious because it looks like a very stressful job - getting yelled at by homeless people and coffee freaks, and having people look down on you. They probaby deserve more than they receive (even though they mess up my order half the time).

probably around $8/hr

stressful? i hope you arent serious. every job has some stress associated with it but the stress at McDonald's is well very tame compared to other jobs

deserve more than they receive? why? ANYBODY can do that work hence all the workers there are easily replaceable

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
A good friend of mine/neighbor works at McDonalds. He makes $7.50/Hour but then again he's 16. He "assembles" burgers I guess you could say. :rolleyes:
Any particular reason for this question you have?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
It was my first job in high school. Lots of kids work there and older people. I wouldn't consider working there for very long. You have to put up with rude people and it can be very stressful especially when it's very busy and the boss decides to yell at you.

There is no such thing as real job. Any job is a real job as long as you are making money and it's legal.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
If people used Google to find answers for everything, this forum would be a very boring place.

No, most people here already do google for answers before asking questions, which is exactly why the discussions here are usually as interesting as they are.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
except theres a difference between easily found answers and technical questions on a computer forum

Exactly. This forum is an awesome place to discuss things precisely because all the topics here aren't things that are easily found elsewhere already. If there were more questions being posed here that could easily be found elsewhere by googling, then all of the interesting and well informed people would leave this forum because the forum itself would become just like everywhere else that's already out there.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_5; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1)

I worked at Arby's years ago and they paid minimum wage, which was $7 then, the job sucked. I know people who started at McDonalds around then and were making $10/hour starting.. well atleast in my town.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Have you googled for the answer?

I'm all for googleing in most cases, but I think that in this case, some geographical knowledge is key.

McDonalds will pay differently based on state, county, and sometimes even city (eg, SF has a higher minimum and higher median wage compared to other Bay Area counties, so you can expect to make $1-2 more per hour in the city limits than you would just five miles southward).

The real answer here is that McDonalds will pay marginally above minimum wage. If the minimum wage in your area is $8, I'd expect McDonalds to pay between $8.25 and $8.75; anything more is just asking for too much.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I worked there for a few months when I was 16 (five years ago) and I got paid minimum wage, which was $5.15 at the time. It was an awful job.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I worked there for a few months when I was 16 (five years ago) and I got paid minimum wage, which was $5.15 at the time. It was an awful job.

Fats food and indeed any restaurant job is the worst job most anyone could ever do. The restaurant business was a million times more stressful than my current job as a Senior Art Director in advertising. It really made you hate people.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Fats food and indeed any restaurant job is the worst job most anyone could ever do. The restaurant business was a million times more stressful than my current job as a Senior Art Director in advertising. It really made you hate people.

Us people? ;)

Working with customers is bad enough, but when food (I use that term lightly when talking about McDonalds) is added into the mix it gets even worse. I found a better paying non-food job shortly after McDondalds, and an even better one after that. Now I don't have to work with customers at all.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Us people? ;)

Working with customers is bad enough, but when food (I use that term lightly when talking about McDonalds) is added into the mix it gets even worse. I found a better paying non-food job shortly after McDondalds, and an even better one after that. Now I don't have to work with customers at all.

Any job where you have to deal with the public is horrible.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
$8 is a lot. I get paid about $4 at an Apple Premium Reseller (I also get commission, though).

What is the minimum wage in the States?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.