Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
WINNIPEG (CBC) - A brown haze of soot, particles and chemicals that hangs over parts of Asia is darkening cities, melting glaciers in the Himalayas and making weather systems more extreme, the United Nations said Thursday.

Scientists who have studied the thick brown clouds, which they estimate to be more than three kilometres thick, said the haze stretches from the Arabian Peninsula to China and the Western Pacific Ocean. It is officially known as atmospheric brown clouds.

The scientists, who come from China, India, Europe and the U.S., said in a new report commissioned by the UN Environment Program that the brown clouds are aggravating the impact of climate change caused by greenhouse gases in some regions.

They said they are issuing the warning now about the brown haze because it is a "serious and significant" environmental challenge facing the planet that poses a threat to human health and food production.

CBC

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Yet there are those that will steadfastly maintain that we mere mortals cannot have such an impact on a Global scale.

I think I am checking-out at just about the right time. ;)

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
It could be worse, had all of the United States' heavily-polluting industries not moved there, that cloud would be over North America!

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
It could be worse, had all of the United States' heavily-polluting industries not moved there, that cloud would be over North America!

Don't worry .. it'll get you in the end. That or dirty ... sneaky .... anti-amerikan environmentalism. Hahhhahhaaaahhhhhaah!!!!:D

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
wow, greedy people these days, we should focus on saving our earth now, then be greedy afterwards.

meh, there are plenty of planets out there. We can just do whatever we want here and then when earth starts to suck we move on to another one :cool:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Don't worry, the cooling effect of this cloud will combat global warming. If it all evens out for the next 60 years or so, I may not have to worry, since I'll be dead by the time it destroys all life on the planet. :thumbs up:

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I've been saying to my family and friends that we are screwed and there is no chance of reversing/fixing the environment. We can only hope to slow the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.